Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA hunters, what do you think of the point restriction now? >

PA hunters, what do you think of the point restriction now?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA hunters, what do you think of the point restriction now?

Old 09-21-2005, 09:44 AM

Default RE: PA hunters, what do you think of the point restriction now?

The people who are seeing these bigger better bucks please answer me one question. Is this on private or public land? I can honestly say I have not seen bigger bucks or more bucks since it has been implemented. However, I do believe it is a good idea. The problem is we are shooting to many does( which results in shooting button bucks). I am hoping that this isthe last year that the doe slaughter stops. Public land can't take much more of this.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is MY answer.....Don't shoot button bucks! I know what is gonna happen to this thread now that I have said that, but too bad. Buttons are the dumbest deer in the woods and get blasted in antlerless season at an incredible rate.
My disclaimer.......If you like to shoot buttons...feel free. They are legal and there is nothing intrinsically wrong with doing so....just do not complain that Ar's are not working in your area and then poke holes in a half dozen buttons to round out your year. If big bucks are what you are after...you must learn to identify buttons and then refrain from reducing them to burger.....
Old 09-23-2005, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Button bucks are fawns for heaven's sake! Why would anybody who calls himself a sportsmen shoot one? And I really don't want to hear the accident thing either, its not hard to tell a fawn from an adult if you care enough to take a few seconds to look at what you are shooting at. Give'em at least a little chance to experience life.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen and killed much better deer since AR came into effect.

My problem (and I think a big reason for the better bucks) I Hunt more public game land than private land when in PA for gun season. I've seen some nice bucks many I assume to be legal. But you can't pull a trigger on an assumption. The area I hunt your hard pressed to find a clearing for a shot, now when they pass that clearing you are trying to count points. Now start looking for brow tines...does it? doesn't it?

Last year I was walking into one of the private land areas I hunt. Had a deer coming at me in an open field at 6:55 am. It's a buck, a nice one too..above and wider than the ears. No chance to see how many points even though he was only 30 yards away. Couldn't poke and hope so had to let him go..That would've been a great one to shoot as I was only 100 yards from Camp and the shot would've woken up everyone sleeping in! It was Thursday Morning, so some guys who didn't fill their tag yet, took this day to sleep in!
Old 09-24-2005, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Button bucks are fawns for heaven's sake! Why would anybody who calls himself a sportsmen shoot one?
I want to appologize. I had no business making such a statement. I've always maintained that how somebody hunts or takes, as long as its legal, is nobody else's business. Just because I wouldn't be comfortable shooting a fawn is irrelevant. Sorry again. Enjoy the sport any way you want!!! Good luck!
Old 09-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Button bucks are fawns for heaven's sake! Why would anybody who calls himself a sportsmen shoot one?
I want to appologize. I had no business making such a statement. I've always maintained that how somebody hunts or takes, as long as its legal, is nobody else's business. Just because I wouldn't be comfortable shooting a fawn is irrelevant. Sorry again. Enjoy the sport any way you want!!! Good luck!
That's the way to step and be accounted for...props to you.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's the way to step and be accounted for...props to you.
???
Old 09-26-2005, 02:24 AM

There are 2 sides to this , at least in my mind . Do i see a difference ....? Not a noticeable one . I still see just as many small and big bucks as before . I live inbeaver county which is 4 ona side . One side of thinkin is that the younger bucks (or poor gene pool ) get to live longer . on one hand the young bucks who have a good gene pool who get a free pass is a good call . But as you kill off the bigger bucks(better gene pool) the poor gene pool scraggely bucks are left to breed and pass on their poor genes . On the other hand , by letting that good gene poolyearling to 21/2 year buck walk . That makes him that much wiser which makes it a good possibilitie that he will live longer passing his genes on to more does . So i'm kinda on the fence on this one but i lean more towards its a good thing than not .

and aseveryone else thinks , i say keep ar get the heck rid of hr !
Old 09-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

I think it sucks.I hunt for the meat not the horns
Old 09-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

Be wary of doe harvesting. It wrecked Vermont's deer herd. I know we have only the fraction of deer that PA has, but the permits given out are proportional to those given out by Vermont in the early 80's. The deer herd, especially the mountain herds, were completely obliterated. They have never returned. Add in a few hard winters, and the last decades harvest has been the worst in history. Good luck to you guys.

Quick Reply: PA hunters, what do you think of the point restriction now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.