Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

foallow deer

Old 09-12-2005, 03:18 PM

Default foallow deer

Does anybody know anything about this type of deer. A guy had some penned up and they got loose.the fish/game wants nothing to do with them, will they breed with white tails?. they are running around here.My hunting buddys all say they wont shoot them.Will they make the winter ,they are becoming wild 2 to3 months out now, they where eating grasses this morning.all are big.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: foallow deer

Better tasting then whitetails.the meat is a great. No they wont breed with whitetails normally I was told by a deer farmer.I got a 16 pt in 1992
Old 09-12-2005, 06:08 PM

Fallow Deer will not breed with whitetails. Its completely legal for you to shoot as many of them as you want because they are an exotic species. I would bet they would survive the winter, if they had been surviving behind a high fence theyd survive in the wild. Now, if you say they were penned up (like cattle or horses), and are not just saying that they were behind a high fence then they may not survive the winter.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cardeer is right! They taste great! Better than anything else I've ever had from the deer family. They won't breed with whitetails.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Maryland you can't shoot as many as you want, any fallow deer you shoot count against your whitetail deer total. if you live in Matyland get on the web and go to the states DNR web page they have some info and seaosn dates for them.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:43 PM

robb92 is right on the money in regards to Maryland. Check your local DNR or fish and wildlife regs.

[/align]
Old 09-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is this in PA? I thought PA's rule was "if it's not a game animal, it's a proteted species". That's why you can't shoot mountain lions. Some people think that, if there's no rule saying you can't shoot them, then you can. There's nothing written about robins and blue jays but you can't shoot them. I'd like to see what the PGC would say if you shot one. Especially if you didn't tag it.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:03 PM

This is NH and the guy bought the property and transferd the game permet over then the deer breed and ate all the feed in his pen the buck was shot and all the does got out a total of five are running around here .Personaly I think He couldnt cover the cost of all the feed. just my Thoughts .He said the stag dug a hole under the wire.I think he should of sent them back to the gun club but mybee they didnt want them? I guese he couldnt shot them like pigs because he became to attached to them and is letting everybody else do his work for him.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:14 PM

In our state we cant keep white tails penned up, good Idea I think because isnt that where cwd comes from grain feed deer?I wonder If these deer where ever checked.We had a couple Of moose dye from brain worms from eating deer dropings.thats what Ive bein told buy the local cops who shot them. They were walking around kind ive stupidly.