Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY RIFLE BILL IN EFFECT. UPDATE !!! >

NY RIFLE BILL IN EFFECT. UPDATE !!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY RIFLE BILL IN EFFECT. UPDATE !!!

Old 09-01-2005, 03:46 PM

Default RE: NY RIFLE BILL IN EFFECT. UPDATE !!!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
September 1, 2005

GOVERNOR SIGNS BILL ALLOWING HUNTERS TO USE RIFLES IN CERTAIN SOUTHERN ZONE COUNTIES

Conforms Hunting Regulations in Various Central NY Counties with Other Parts of Upstate
Governor George E. Pataki today announced that he has signed into law legislation that will allow the use of rifles to hunt big game in certain counties in Central New York.
Under the new law, hunting regulations in the rural parts of the State's "Southern Zone" will conform to existing regulations that already allow the use of rifles to hunt big game in other parts of Upstate New York within the "Northern Zone."
"Hunters have always played an important role in New York and they are among the safest and most responsible in the nation," Governor Pataki said. "This new law will provide hunters in rural parts of New York's 'Southern Zone' with options during the big game season as other hunters in parts of upstate New York already have. It will also increase safety because rifles are considered to be as safe, and more accurate, than shotguns and other muzzle-loading firearms."
Senator Dale M. Volker said, "I would like to thank Governor Pataki for enacting this common sense approach to humanely thinning out our deer herds, stopping the spread of Lyme Disease in many Southern Tier counties, and allowing sportsmen and sportswomen to have enhanced opportunities to participate in our cultural heritage. For several years, the growth in the population of deer in the Southern Tier has been profound. By allowing rifle hunting for deer and bear in this region of our State, we can humanely lower the deer population and prevent human deaths from automobile accidents that have been rising from vehicles hitting deer on our highways."
Assemblywoman Francine DelMonte said, "There has been an overpopulation of deer and bear in New York for the past several years. As a result, many animals have died of starvation due to a lack of food. This law, which was supported by sportsmen in my district, will give hunters the opportunity to use rifles in eleven upstate counties to humanely lower the wildlife population."
The law, which takes effect immediately, allows rifles to be used during the regular hunting season in the whole counties of Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chenango, Herkimer, Montgomery, Oneida, Oswego, Otsego, Schoharie, and Tioga, and the portion of Broome County east of the Susquehanna River.
The use of rifles for big game hunting is already allowed in all counties of the Northern Zone, and certain counties in the eastern portion of the Southern Zone. Rifles are considered to be as safe, and more accurate, than shotguns and muzzle-loading firearms.
Prior to enactment of this law, hunters in these Southern Zone areas could only use pistols, shotguns, muzzle-loading firearms, or long bows to hunt deer or bear in the regular season. Since rifles are preferred by many hunters, it is expected the law will increase hunter satisfaction in these counties.
Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Acting Commissioner Denise M. Sheehan said, "New York's hunters are true conservationists, and their efforts are essential in the proper management of wildlife in the Empire State. This legislation will increase opportunities for sportsmen and women in the field, and should lead to greater success for hunters in the Southern Zone."
Howard Cushing, President of the New York State Conservation Council, said, "The New York State Conservation Council is pleased to see this important piece of legislation passed. Hunter safety will always remain a top concern of the Council. We hope the passage of this legislation will help to act as a better game management tool and provide increased hunting opportunities for New York's sportsmen."
The deer hunting season in the Southern Zone runs for 23 days, beginning on the third Saturday in November. ###

http://www.state.ny.us/governor/press/year05/sep01_2_05.htm
The Official Word from the Gov's Office.
Hope this clear's things up.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:18 PM

Hi all, I' new here.
First off let me introduce myself,my wife andI arebowhunters only.We participate in Target archery of all kinds as well as bowfish, so the rifle bill only affects us in some ways.
I have been folowing this bill and watched as one thing has slipped by unnoticed, I will post the S918a BillTextso you can see what it is I am trying to explain. I will try to contact Volker to find out if myinterpetation is correct as I have already been to our City Administrators office and told I was because of the way theBill is stated.

Heres what I am trying to explain, sorry if it's confusing!

On Items (b), (d), (F), (i),column 2, it states that the Bill will allow
using a rifle for Deer (or Bear) , first Monday after November 15 through first Tuesday after December 7. This Bill was written on January 21, 2005.This yearthe first Monday after November 15th is Monday the 21stdue to anotherseason change (Sat. opener),opening day falls on Saturday the 19th, two days prior to what the Bill states, this would mean the first weekend hunters would not be legally be able to carry rifles, and changeeach year due to calendar dates,correct??

I tried to post the Bill but the format messed it up, here is a link, put s918a in search box, check "Text" then search.

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us

Thanks,
Billy
Old 09-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

Bills like this are changeable due to outside factors, namely the hunting season. They'll modify it to fit.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep
as for posting - what makes the fact that some will have rifles afield any different than before to make people feel they have to post their property??? A hunter is a hunter (good or poor) regardless of the weapon he carries. are people going to stay off state land now??? I knwo I am concious of shots around me (shotgun or rifle) and tend to make sure I am behind something when I hear close shots. Just how I am (not scared, just playing it safe). just wondering
This is not personal. doughboysigep, please do not take this as an attack....

To state that there is no difference in safety between peoplehunting withshotguns and peopleusing rifles is rediculous. Case #1 2004 PA,a women is shot in the head while sitting in her car in a parking lot. The shot traveled over 500 yards. Case #2 2004 PA,a women is shot in the leg while driving up her rural road. The rifle shot traveledsome distancethen perforated the car door and imbeded in her leg. If these two shots would have been from a shotgun or other short range firearm, the pain and suffering of these two individuals could have been avoided.

So why will many of us land owners post our property? I think it is obvious but I will spell it out. My house is within 75 yds of the woods edge. It is very possible that a hunter could access my property from the rear and come to within 150 yds of my home and not even notice it. I am not going to take any chances. I understand the odds of a bulletexiting the woods and making it to my yard/houseis slim but this law makes it a bit more likely. The odds may still beone in a million but if I can increase them to one in a million and one I will do it. And why wouldn't I post? What do I have to loose?

In my opinion this is a counter productive law. It may even givethe P*ETA zealotssome ammunition against us(like the two cases I mentioned above).

Regardless, it is law now. Case closed. Be safe.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:35 PM

Eatslead,
This is also not personal, posting your land to protect you from morons with rifles is like getting a protective order against someone. Anyone who would take a shot that could endanger you or your family will hunt on your land signs or not. If protecting yourself is truly what you want make sure you know who is on your land posted or not and make sure they know where your house etc is. Posting will not stop the idiots with arifle, shotgun, muzzle loader or pistol.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:27 PM

Just bumping the topic back up!

ORIGINAL: BigJohn H

Eatslead,
This is also not personal, posting your land to protect you from morons with rifles is like getting a protective order against someone. Anyone who would take a shot that could endanger you or your family will hunt on your land signs or not. If protecting yourself is truly what you want make sure you know who is on your land posted or not and make sure they know where your house etc is. Posting will not stop the idiots with arifle, shotgun, muzzle loader or pistol.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Spike

Is the rifle laws going to be the same as the northern zone???
Old 10-06-2005, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

as far as I know they will be the same except for the dates of course any center fire , semi-autos limited to five shots
Old 10-08-2005, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Case #1 2004 PA,a women is shot in the head while sitting in her car in a parking lot. The shot traveled over 500 yards. Case #2 2004 PA,a women is shot in the leg while driving up her rural road. The rifle shot traveledsome distancethen perforated the car door and imbeded in her leg.
Case #1; If you were hit in the head by a shotgun slug from 500 yards you would be just as dead! Although thetrajectory of the rifle would be flatter there is more than enough energy in a slug at500 yards to kill.Case #2; The rifle shot traveled some distance? What distance? Shot gun slugs travel "some distance" as well.

So why will many of us land owners post our property? I think it is obvious but I will spell it out. My house is within 75 yds of the woods edge. It is very possible that a hunter could access my property from the rear and come to within 150 yds of my home and not even notice it. I am not going to take any chances. I understand the odds of a bulletexiting the woods and making it to my yard/houseis slim but this law makes it a bit more likely. The odds may still beone in a million but if I can increase them to one in a million and one I will do it.
So why weren't you concerned about the shot gun hunters. Being much heavier,its a good bet that the shot gun slug would have a better chance of passing through the woods at this distance than a rifle bullet.

You present a very weak argument!