Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY RIFLE BILL IN EFFECT. UPDATE !!! >

NY RIFLE BILL IN EFFECT. UPDATE !!!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY RIFLE BILL IN EFFECT. UPDATE !!!

Old 08-31-2005, 05:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY RIFLE BILL IN EFFECT. UPDATE !!!

“By allowing rifle hunting for deer and bear in this region of our state, we can humanely lower the deer population as they often die of starvation. It will also prevent human deaths from
automobile accidents that have been rising from vehicles hitting deer on our highways, and also see a reduction in the spread of Lyme Disease throughout the State of New York, which is often spread by deer ticks.”

Frankly this is pretty insulting to the bow, shotgun, and muzzleloader hunters. Its saying they were not "humanely" getting the job done. That is a crock. The reduction in doe permits throughout much of the state this year is proof of the methods already in use are effective where permits are issued and access is allowed.. If the above statement by the congressman is true about the overpopulation, then it means that all the areas where rifles will be permitted had no reduction in permits this year? While it may be true, I have not done a comparison and doubt that will be the case. Most of the areas in the state where there is an overpopulation are urban with real access problems for hunters. Some are even hiring contractors to control the deer population rather than finding ways to allow hunter access. Even we can't get in these with bows, are rifles going to be allowed in these areas (humanely, of coarse)?

The reason rifles are being allowed is because some hunters wished to use them and where succesful in their attempts. It had nothing to do with the need to better control the population. And don't tell us bows, slug guns and muzzleloaders could not get the job done if given the chance.

Steve
Old 08-31-2005, 11:30 PM

Well ok if I read this right the bill is now a law. So what rifle do I go out and buy? I been thinking about this. I need the ability to hunt deer and black bear. With a the old rules it was no problem, just go with my 12 guage Remington 870. Now I've got to decide which rifle to purchase? Any suggestions? I am leaning toward a 30.06 or a 270. What everyone going to use not that this is law?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Spike

You read it right, time to warm up the 30.30 go bills
Old 09-01-2005, 08:20 AM

The 30-06 is probably the most common rifle used but it is certainly overkill for deer hunting. I would probably lean toward a 308 or even 25-06. Theseloads pack pleanty of punch and shoot on a string. Your shoulder will take less of a pummeling as well.

Whatever rifle you choose, dont bother bringing it to my place. I am going out today to post it. I wonder if the legislaters consideredhow this bill may increaseposting private land.

Good Luck everyone.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:05 AM

Eatslead - I hear ya loud and clear! Will be posting heavily this weekend as well...more so than in prior years. I would guess that the use of rifles may increase the number of "road hunters" stupidly trying a 300 yard shot with their .06 or .270 across the hood of their vehicle when they're driving around and see a whitetail silhouetted against a snow fallen hill. After the deer bolts instead of immediately falling, they'll just drive on and try to find the next one. [:@]

My buddies and I are still planning on using our muzzleloaders pushing 240 + gr bullets during the reg season. Our shots are always under 100 yards. Why change now?

-Hunter John
Old 09-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Spike

It's about time the Governer did something right.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

rwalter - why do you NEED a rifle. If your trusty 870 was fine in the past it should be fine now. I don't think everyone needs to go out and buy rifles just because we can hunt with them now. I really didn't think that those without rifles would switch (maybe I was wrong). btw - i like the .270

as for posting - what makes the fact that some will have rifles afield any different than before to make people feel they have to post their property??? A hunter is a hunter (good or poor) regardless of the weapon he carries. are people going to stay off state land now??? I knwo I am concious of shots around me (shotgun or rifle) and tend to make sure I am behind something when I hear close shots. Just how I am (not scared, just playing it safe). just wondering

as for my plans with the new law (i was never a big proponent of it, but wasn't a big detractor either) - It gives me a great opportunity to use my .44mag winchester carbine (ballistically similar to a shotgun) that I haven't used for quite some time. I will also be taking my .270 with me to camp, just in case I want to take it out. I will still have and use my shotgun(s) too
Old 09-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

i talked to my cousin who works for senator maziarz...he said pataki did indeed sign the bill yesterday.................................
Old 09-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

The reason rifles are being allowed is because some hunters wished to use them and where succesful in their attempts. It had nothing to do with the need to better control the population. And don't tell us bows, slug guns and muzzleloaders could not get the job done if given the chance.

Steve
Wait...Steve....you forgot the crossbow people....hehehe.....sorry long time and I could not resist.

Quick Reply: NY RIFLE BILL IN EFFECT. UPDATE !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.