Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Acorn Crop?¿?¿?¿? >

PA Acorn Crop?¿?¿?¿?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Acorn Crop?¿?¿?¿?

Old 08-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Acorn Crop?¿?¿?¿?

How do you judge what the acorn crop will be like? I'm in NW PA and I've got a fair number of oak trees aound. Most of them are reds, but there are a few whites mixed in there. I know you can look up at the tree and see the acorns, but what is a good number to see? Also how is it at your hunting spots? That will give me an idea as to wether my trees will have lots or not. Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 10:48 AM

Default RE: PA Acorn Crop?¿?¿?¿?

I couldnt tell you, butI was looking at the white oaks in my area and man.. There are alot.. Im hoping this year is a bumper crop. last year we didnt get didley. We had some nice conditions for them to grow so.......................
Old 08-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally don't like the heavy mast years. What usually happens is that the acorns keep the deer from moving to usually feeding areas. They can hole up all day around a good acorns and not have to move much to eat.

As for this years crop, yes, there seems to be a ton of acorns on the trees this year.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

I here ya muzzyman......that's very true. Give me drought and give me lack of food. They definatelyget easier to predict......
Old 08-02-2005, 12:41 PM

Should be a good year. We haven't had a good number of acorns for about 3 years now.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Last time we had a summer this dry, a lot of the trees inmy hunting area dropped their acorns early before they were big enough to be any value.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Plenty of acorns = Good squirrel hunting
Old 08-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was told that the same tree does not produce every year. Is that true ?? I have a Mammoth oak tree in the corner of my yard at the edge of the woods. The thing is like 6 foot around. It has not produced in 3 years
Old 08-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

CD, white oaks produce every year, but it's not a bumper crop every year. Red oaks produce every other year....same deal, good years and bad.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

BT- i have seen that also, wonder why?? i was at my friends house the other day shooting our bows and he had them all over the place some small green ones..

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Last time we had a summer this dry, a lot of the trees inmy hunting area dropped their acorns early before they were big enough to be any value.

Quick Reply: PA Acorn Crop?¿?¿?¿?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.