Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

pa. weather

Old 07-30-2005, 04:58 PM

Default pa. weather

what is the weather like the first week in october roughly the highs and the lows? never been there hunting first time this year cant wait i guess you usually see alot of deer during the day from what ive heard and what do you people think about mock scrapes at that time of year? here in mass lucky to see a deer in a day! what about mock scrapes now does anybody have there cameras on mock scrapes now for the hell of it?
Old 07-31-2005, 05:03 AM

Default RE: pa. weather

For the weather go to wunderground.com and put in the zip code of the area you are going to hunt. After that scroll down, on the left you will see a history area. put in a date and then it allows you to look at the whole month of interest.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

First week of October concentrate on 2 things.......food sources and being scent free.

Seriously, I have not had a whole lot of success with scents early on but if you can pattern a good buck (or bachelor group still) heading to a food source everyday such as corn or beans etc it's not hard to intercept him while he's still feeling comfy from a summer of not being bothered too much. Get between where he wants to bed and where he wants to eat. Just don't force the wind issue and blow it.......they are pretty relaxed this time of year but won't tolerate much, especially a 2.5yr old or better. It takes a special kind of paranoid for a deer to make it to 3.5 in PA.
The first week is one of my favorites (Actually the 1st 3 days are REALLY my favorite)........they wise up and change their habits PDQ in this state when they start feeling some pressure.

I can't remember a really COLD 1st week of October, but I do remember quite a few very warm ones.......cool mornings, warm afternoons. Indian Summer always seems to drop in that week.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:52 AM

Last season was abit warm from what I remember. 2 years ago it rained opening morning and it was in the mid 60's.

Nothing is worse than an 80 degree afternoon during the first few days of archery. In the area where I hunt being scent free isnt always key. I hunt in an area where the smell of humans is present all the time. Dont get me wrong.. I dont go in stinkin like I havent showered in a week. I do what I can to control scent. I like to use fall blend cover scent. I had a nice 8 point walk up behind me. I never saw it until i heard snap behind my tree and all i saw was rack.. THen I thought "&*%*$(^$ deer". I had my buck tag filled but my buddy was 35 yards in front of me and I was sitting by a path of rub lines. I thought I wacked the guy who did them in the previous week.. Well the deer walks up on me and then looks straight up at me and i can hear him sniffing away.. no dice.. he walked back into the woods and came out and no dice with his sniffer.. he walked down about 20 more yards and came out on the trail in front of me. still trying to sniff me out.. no dice.. he was so worried about what I was in the tree that he didnt see my friend stand up and draw back. I could have spit on this deer thats how close he was. My buddy misjudged the distance and shot just under neath of him. 200# deer 8 points. probably about 120" buck. Never smelled me.. So here is my plug for fall blend cover spray.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably around 50 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon. I remember some cold, frosty mornings and some hot afternoons. Not really hot per se, but too hot for hunting clothes. A couple of years ago it was so foggy that you couldn't see 10 yards. A total loss. Last year it was rainy with some fog.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

It matters where in PA you are too. I can all but guarantee that the weather here in the alleghany's is going to be different than in Berks county. Where in the state are you at?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:25 AM

Very true. Where I am in Montgomery county is usually 5-7 degrees warmer than the place I hunt in Columbia county. But the other place in Sullivan county (estella) is always 10 degrees colder than bloomsburg!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:53 AM

The weather is....... the weather.

Chance of cool temps with highs in the 60, 70,80, 90. More than likely foggy & humid in the morning with a chance of frost. Sunny clear skies mixed in with rain showers likely.

October is really a transition period for weather in PA. It could be doing almost anything on a given day.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ccm352 - we probably pass each other on the turnpike. We live in Montgomery and hunt in Sullivan as well (near the Columbia Co. border). We used to hunt between Dushore and Forksville. I've done my fair share of hunting in Evansburg Park, too.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The weather is....... the weather.

Chance of cool temps with highs in the 60, 70,80, 90. More than likely foggy & humid in the morning with a chance of frost. Sunny clear skies mixed in with rain showers likely.

October is really a transition period for weather in PA. It could be doing almost anything on a given day.
So very true!

Quick Reply: pa. weather

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.