Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

[Deleted]

Old 08-23-2005, 07:18 AM

Default RE: New York rifle bill passes: UPDATE

Since I don't live in New York State, I have stayed out of this until now, but feel compelled to add my two cents. The opposition to this bill coming from hunters seems like the same sort of reasoning used by the anti-gun crowd. Blame the weapon, not the careless hunter. Do you have more careless hunters in New York than we have in PA? With a million hunters in the deer woods we have very few shooting incidents. Rifles aren't the problem, people. I have hunted deer with a rifle for fifty-one years, and haven't shot anyone yet.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

ORIGINAL:Buckarcher
What really has changed to make itok for us to use Rifle? Whats different now that was wasn't then?
Let's see, The Fully-Rifled Slug Barrel, The Saboted Shotgun Projectile (300gr .50cal aerodynamicbullet at 2000fps)
Didn't someone state that it wasn't as good as a rifle? Therefore you would be still commited to get a close shot........

"There was a time when hunting deer with a shotgun slug meant that getting in close to the game was a must. Those days are over. Hornady’s NEW SST™ Shotgun Slug transforms your favorite rifled barrel slug gun into a weapon that will outperform some centerfire rifles."

In-line Muzzleloaders capable of using 150grains of BP and an aerodynamic saboted projectile, Savage 10-ML capable of using smokeless powder and pushing aerodynamic .50cal bullets in excess of 2,300FPS, Thompson-Centerrifle caliber pistols, Remington XP-100 rifle caliber pistols, Savage Striker rifle caliber pistols, Revolvers in calibers like .460S&W magnum. That along with studies which have show that rifles are no more dangerous shotguns.
I'm sorry but I really don't understand what you are saying now..... So whata shotgun is capable of shooting as well or as far as a rifle..... ?This is getting good ...
So you don't have to get close with a shotgun anymore huh?

I think that something is wrong with this picture.If I'm not mistaken didn't you critize me on wanting to switch to rifle if I hunted state land(if the bill passes)... So I guess it just makes sense to change the county to rifle because certain weapons can shoot just as good right?

I think you have to stop, just except the fact that you and alot of othersare willing to put a higher risk just for your convience. Hey listen thats fine if you do, I'm not putting you down. Hunting is a risk right. LikeI said before you are intitled to your opinion, and prefernce. But please give an honest answer, nothing has changed. Just population increase. I don't understand why people can't look at that fact!

Old 08-23-2005, 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: patrkyhntr

Since I don't live in New York State, I have stayed out of this until now, but feel compelled to add my two cents. The opposition to this bill coming from hunters seems like the same sort of reasoning used by the anti-gun crowd. Blame the weapon, not the careless hunter. Do you have more careless hunters in New York than we have in PA? With a million hunters in the deer woods we have very few shooting incidents. Rifles aren't the problem, people. I have hunted deer with a rifle for fifty-one years, and haven't shot anyone yet.
I'm sorry but PA is not NY. Population is far greater. Second I hunt with gun, so what exactly makes me an anti gun crowd. Because I 'm using reasoning.
Again this another person not answering the question. [:'(]

Look its fine you guys will probably get what you want anyways, the bill will pass
you all will be happy. So I'm done, enough said out of me for now.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-23-2005, 09:16 AM

I'm sorry but PA is not NY. Population is far greater.
Well, I guess you are correct that New York State has more people than does PA, but aren't most of them in New York City? I'll bet the rest of the state has about the same population density as does most of PA.

We do have some buckshot only areas in PA. These are in the metropolitan areas of southeast PA and in the area close to Pittsburgh. http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/digestpdfs/2005/shooting_hours.pdf

Muzzleloading long guns .44 caliber or larger, bows and arrows, manual or autoloading shotguns, .410 or
larger using slugs and 20-gauge or larger using buckshot. Buckshot is not permitted in Allegheny County.Only bows and arrows,
including crossbows, are permitted in Philadelphia County. Crossbows may be used during any firearm deer season statewide, and
during any established deer season in Wildlife Management Units 2B, 5C and 5D. In WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D, hunters using a crossbow
during the archery seasons must purchase an archery stamp in addition to their general hunting license and appropriate WMU antlerless
deer license. Hunters using crossbows during the muzzleloader seasons must have a muzzleloader stamp in addition to their general
hunting license and appropriate WMU antlerless deer license. Crossbows must have a minimum weight of 125 pounds and a maximum
draw weight not to exceed 200 pounds.

If the area included in your shotgun only area is similar in composition to our special regulations areas, I guess I have to withdraw my objection. If the area is heavily forested, thinly populated, and mountainous, what is the problem? For example, your Tioga County is just across the border from our northern tier counties. Since I have been there, I fail to see what the problem would be with the use of rifles in such country. These areas are hardly more densely populated than are much of southcentral PA. Perhaps you can enlighten me.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:22 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-23-2005, 09:50 AM

Hello,

You can email your support for this bill by using the link below.

http://161.11.3.75/
Old 08-23-2005, 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: patrkyhntr

I'm sorry but PA is not NY. Population is far greater.
Well, I guess you are correct that New York State has more people than does PA, but aren't most of them in New York City? I'll bet the rest of the state has about the same population density as does most of PA.

We do have some buckshot only areas in PA. These are in the metropolitan areas of southeast PA and in the area close to Pittsburgh. http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/digestpdfs/2005/shooting_hours.pdf

Muzzleloading long guns .44 caliber or larger, bows and arrows, manual or autoloading shotguns, .410 or
larger using slugs and 20-gauge or larger using buckshot. Buckshot is not permitted in Allegheny County.Only bows and arrows,
including crossbows, are permitted in Philadelphia County. Crossbows may be used during any firearm deer season statewide, and
during any established deer season in Wildlife Management Units 2B, 5C and 5D. In WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D, hunters using a crossbow
during the archery seasons must purchase an archery stamp in addition to their general hunting license and appropriate WMU antlerless
deer license. Hunters using crossbows during the muzzleloader seasons must have a muzzleloader stamp in addition to their general
hunting license and appropriate WMU antlerless deer license. Crossbows must have a minimum weight of 125 pounds and a maximum
draw weight not to exceed 200 pounds.

If the area included in your shotgun only area is similar in composition to our special regulations areas, I guess I have to withdraw my objection. If the area is heavily forested, thinly populated, and mountainous, what is the problem? For example, your Tioga County is just across the border from our northern tier counties. Since I have been there, I fail to see what the problem would be with the use of rifles in such country. These areas are hardly more densely populated than are much of southcentral PA. Perhaps you can enlighten me.
Yes I agree, were the terrain is wooded and not populated, I do not see a problem.
But were I hunt which is Ostego county, it is very populated. I right next to the city of Oneonta, During hunting season the colleges are in. Let me tell you how many times we have to kick joggers out of the woods. Its is very hard to just hunt with shotgun. So I assume you can see my point. Now if they made these zones non rifle, why now that there are much more people is ok for us to hunt rifle.

When I first starting hunting you would never see anyone in the woods, now we have joggers, dog walkers, nature hikers. It gets me sick. But thats life. So now you can understand my concern. Now like I early stated I have hunted Rifle country before... Delaware county and the terrain is pretty much the same in certain areas, but the population is no were as great. Also you are right about NYC being the most populated area of NY, but ever since 9/11.. people have buying and building houses all over northern NY. Pretty much restricting more woods. So with that said, this is why I stated that it was not necessary to switch in certain zones.

Either way I not going to convence anyone here, I really don't care anymore.
On our property it will remain shotgun only.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

My thoughts exactly, Far more hunters take to the woods in Pennsylvania every year with rifles, in terrain very similar to that in New York, but nothing spectacular happens.
A big part of this that you are ignoring is PA mandatory Blaze Orange laws.

Rifles and orange makes a lot more sense than rifles and no orange, don't you think?

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.