HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Where did the Deer go? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/104842-where-did-deer-go.html)

wny_hunter 07-07-2005 04:09 AM

Where did the Deer go?

I have been camping in the Quaker Run area of Allegany State Park for over 25 years. Each and every year that we have camped there I have seen 20 - 30 deer each day, not specifically looking for them, just while taking casual walks/hikes. We have always gone there over the 4th of July Holiday (so its during the same time of the year), but this year didn't see one deer or any sign of them. The park has posted signs all over the are about bears because of too many bear-human encounters and are trying to educate the campers to avoid confrontations with them. Does anyone think that the over population in the area of the bears and caused a decline of the deer herd?

T_in_PA3 07-07-2005 05:10 AM

RE: Where did the Deer go?

We reduced the population of deer in PA. You will see less deer.

PABowhntr 07-07-2005 06:06 AM

We reduced the population of deer in PA. You will see less deer
I would tend to agree with T on this one. We have drastically reduced deer numbers in some areas of the state. It wouldn't surprise me if the deer density in that area is way down.

bwhuntr 07-07-2005 06:12 AM

I too am familiar with the Quaker area and yes there are few sightings. If you get off the beaten path you will see all types of sign though. As far as this year goes your best sighting of wildlife will be the sow with 3 cubs, but wath out last years sow with 2 cubs was very testy.

livbucks 07-07-2005 08:40 AM

The doe hunters have reduced the herd, especially in any state park lands. My neighborand his 2 sons took 15 deer last year, with bonus tags. Unfortunately, many were button bucks. I hope they truly consume that which they have taken. Seems like more than one household could make use of in a year.

lost horn 07-07-2005 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: livbucks

The doe hunters have reduced the herd, especially in any state park lands. My neighborand his 2 sons took 15 deer last year, with bonus tags. Unfortunately, many were button bucks. I hope they truly consume that which they have taken. Seems like more than one household could make use of in a year.
I had neighbors that did the same as yours for a couple of years but last year they came back empty handed and complaining that they didn't see any deer, wonder why?

DougMD 07-08-2005 09:16 AM

The past few winters before this one were pretty bad, and many areas had poor acorn crops fora few years in a row, all while doe seasons and bag limits were liberalized. Seems the whole WV, western Maryland and PA areas have suffered big losses in the herd the past few years.

DaveH 07-08-2005 11:00 AM

I don't understand this. MD has greatly increased it's doe harvest over the past 5 years. We're allowed--and encouraged - to take does and can take up to 10 does with each weapon. That's 30 does and 6 bucks allowed. In 5 counties, we're allowed unlimited does. We're not experiencing any problems here with lack of deer and our seasons last longer and allow us to take far more than you're allowed in PA. Why is it that the sightings have gone done so much in PA? Can it be that the deer have adapted to this and are more secretive, have moved deeper into restricted areas and/or are more nocturnal? I'd like to know since the increased harvest of does here hasn't hurt our deer numbers, yet I continue to hear about it in PA?

Jason N 07-08-2005 11:31 AM

Dave, PA has many more hunters and public land than MD. These facts added to very liberal doe tag allotments, two relativley bad winters, and poor mast crop production during these past few years has taken a toll. It isn't all happening because of any one of these factors, but all combined make a big difference. FWIW, the deer populations in areas where hunting access is very limited(suburban areas, all or almost all private land closed to hunting) are booming out of control and there is really no way to stop it.

livbucks 07-08-2005 11:49 AM

Add to that the burgeoning coywolf population that loves to snack on fresh dropped fawns each spring and that isn't shy about tackling a mature deer for fun now and again.