Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Trees: a public menace >

Trees: a public menace

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Trees: a public menace

Old 07-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trees: a public menace

By 1920, the seemingly endless forests had become history, and in hundreds of lumber towns as the last, solitary log was moved up the jack ladder, the sawmill whistle was given a long, lonely, final blast, which signaled the closing of the mill and the end of an era. Loggers moved to West Virginia and to the lake states, leaving behind thousands of devastated treeless acres. Today, after decades of regeneration, Pennsylvania's forests are once again green, healthy, and of great economic and esthetic value. However, unlike the pine and hemlock forests of our forefathers, timber stands now consist primarily of hardwoods.
Had it not been for the complete destruction of our forests, the state would have no other tree but white pine....YUK. What was that about survival of the fittest?
Old 07-03-2005, 12:08 PM

I think all who posted should read these two books. Get real information and base your opinions on this, rather then emotions. "THE WOODLOT MANAGEMENT HAND BOOK" ISBN 1-55209-236-4 or "EASTERN DECIDUOUS FOREST" Ecology and Wildlife Conservation ISBN 0-8166-3360-6. Check these out, read them and get educated. IMO all tree should be harvest per a foresters report. It helps the land owners pay for what ever, it helps nature, is perfect for wildlife, and is a renewable resource. It just takes time. Stop think of a instant fix. The regeneration may not happen in your life time, but think of the youths that you so eagerly say we need in the outdoor sports. Wildlife and forest management is forever, not for the next year or decade.
I personal know of a hunting group in southwestern PA, that go around looking for large tracts of land for hunting. When they find it, the take a private forester in to find the value of the lands timber. If it offsets the purchase price they buy it. Very smart way of getting land, making the land pay for its self and the loggers are providing a wildlife management service and paying for it. A very smart group!

Old 07-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

A deers best friend is a man with a chain saw!
Old 07-03-2005, 10:23 PM

I'm a firm believer in clear cutting. It should be done with some expert advice. A plan is a must. This is no place for a forest massacre though. I have been practicing clear cuts and forest thinning for quite sometime. I cut in February and March, I leave them as drops. When it snows you really can see how the critters use it. It helps all wildlife. Provides vines a trellis to grow browse. Gives ground dwelling birds alot of cover. It's a all round winning program. Try 1% of your property and I promise you will see the results. In my opinion it's as good as a food plot half it's size. Provides food and cover. If the deer are browsing 6' or so of a tree 30'+ tall, imagine the browse when it's down. Thats just the first year. Wait till the vines start to grow, then you will see the results in effect.

Old 07-04-2005, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wild Work

I think all who posted should read these two books. Get real information and base your opinions on this, rather then emotions.
No emotions except utter joy at the bounty to come from it. Have you ever seen nature at work after a good forest fire? If only a few trees burned hit and miss style do you think you would get the same result? NO WAY! Level the forest. Good for wildlife, good for the forest. Just because some things are not pretty, doesn't mean they are not good. Some things need to be "ugly" to work right. I don't mean to cut everywhere all at once, but we need to get moving on some timetable. Do a grid system, like a checkerboard. Send the tree-worshippers to Brazil.