Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

[Deleted]

Old 07-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New York rifle bill passes

All in all deer hunting has it's risks, we all know that, we all know that we could get shot or even die out there if were not careful. If there is going to be a change they need to put out a special suburban course for rifle hunters that is manditory to take and limit the size of caliber that folks can use. I don't mind it much but I don't want to be out there with folks shooting 375 H and H's at deer 100 yards awayfrom me.Shotguns have worked all these years anyway why change?
Old 07-05-2005, 10:36 AM

Whether the bill passes or not, I am still going to use my new shotgun that I gotlast Christmas. I still haven't fired a shot out of it yet.

It's the new Remington 870 Express Mag. Synthetic with 23" cantilever rifled barrel. Exact same gun as the 870 SPS "Super Slug," butcheaper because of a crappier finish on the metal. As long as I get the same performance as the Special Purpose version, I don't care. Actually, my shotgun replaced the SPS "Super Slug." That gun is discontinued, so any Super Slug gun you see is what was left over from last year.

If you want to check it out on Remington's website, here's a link:
http://www.remington.com/NR/exeres/0000169arnfegvfaieeznzvo/RemArms+Rich+Product.asp?NRMODE=Published&NROR IGINALURL=%2ffirearms%2fshotguns%2f870exp_slug&amp ;NRNODEGUID=%7b6F71B987-F197-4609-BAE4-DE5E0B1D3725%7d&NRQUERYTERMINATOR=1&cookie %5Ftest=1

With that new longer barrel, I am good to 125-150 yards. Even if I had a rifle, I wouldn't shoot beyond 125-150 yards anyway. I will probably get a rifle just as a back up. I know that a lot of people will do the exact opposite. I have shot a shotgun my whole life, never shot a rifle. I am still for the rifle bill, but why would I change when I am doing fine with the shotgun.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

djgj200:

That's a nice shotgun...I've actually been contemplating getting one of those babies this fall and topping with a nice Leupold or Nikon scope. I didn't know they discontinued the SPS. I think the 870 models are a great gun for the price. What sabots do ya use?
Old 07-05-2005, 05:02 PM

WNY Bowhunter:

As I said, I have yet tofire a shot out of it. I have the slugs to test out of it. I have the Remington Core-lokt sabots, regular Winchester Barnes sabots, and some Winchester Supreme sabots to test.

I anticipate the Core-lokt to do the best but got to get to the range first.

There are870 SPS Super Slug guns still floating around out there. My dad is going to buy an 870 SPS soon for this fall. He has the SPS 11-87 deer gun with the 21" barrel. He wants it in the 870 for reliability and wants the SPS just for the name. When he gets his he will probably put a Leupold scope on it as he has on his 11-87. I have a Simmons on mine.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:20 PM

I've got an 870 sps superslug - great shooter, but a tad heavy. The heavy barrel helps smooth out the hold, however.

I shoot Federal Barnes Expanders in it, and it shoots great.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

It was just a figure of speach. My biggest concern is joe sixpack out in the woods, you know the people who think it's ok to drink before they go out in the woods. Drinking has no special person that it likes more than others, So in fact a drunk rich man could bring that type of weapon out. Your right not everybody has one , but I can almost bet that most people who own one drink alcohol at one time or another during hunting season. There's always a chance that someone is drunk out there. I would prefer to limit there range a little. Where I live I cannot see a rifle fitting into our season . Way to many houses and roads nearby, It's bad enough that kids or animals can't be out opening day or the first weekend in ther own back yards because of reckless people( won't call them hunters because they are not). We've all heard the stories, Ijust don't want these guys to have more fire power then they all ready have. As for the responsiable hunters, I 'll share camp with them no matter what the weapon of there choice is. My gripe is not about the good guys, it's about the scumbags who don't have a clue on what there doing out there. We've all seen them out and felt disgusted to be shunned by people who relate us to them and put us in the same catagory. I'm bitter a bit I was just ventining a little, sorry about that.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: thesource

I've got an 870 sps superslug - great shooter, but a tad heavy. The heavy barrel helps smooth out the hold, however.
They are heavy because of the barrel. I have compared the barrel on my 870 deer gun to my dad's 11-87 and the 870's barrel is twice the thickness. Remington did that on purpose to: 1-reduce recoil and 2-make it more like a rifle and giveyou more consistent shots.

At least I will be in stand and not walking around all day. So weight doesn't really bother me. The thing about the 870 Express version of the slug gun is it doesn't come with the Remington/Limb Saver R3 recoil pad, which is standard for all Remington Special Purpose Synthetic guns. The Express version comes with the standard hunk of rubber for a "recoil pad." When I test the gun out at the range, I will make a decision on whether I shouldgo out and buy an R3 to put on the gun.

The R3 recoil pad can't be put on guns with wood stocks because every stock varies depending on how much it needed to be ground down. It can't be put on recoil operated automatics because it takes too muchrecoil out that the gun wont function. Just something to keep in mind.