Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

[Deleted]

Old 06-26-2005, 10:24 AM

Default RE: New York rifle bill passes

ORIGINAL: cma3366a
As forrifle shots traveling farther, in one sentance you site dense vegetation so thick that you cant see more than 75yds to shoot; rifle bullets dont penetrate trees and brush anybetter than slugs do, andwould be easily stoped by all the ground vegetation you mention.
Weren't you paying attention in hunters safety class?

Of course rifles have a significantly greater range than slugs do...that would be the whole reason that slug only seasons have been set. And there will be plenty of multiple shots and lead flying when a buck crosses a powerline at 350 yds or so, and all the self imagined 1000yd marksman wannabees with your fancy new rifles start blazing away.

If you aren't consistently getting your buck with a shotgun, I'm thinking a rifle won't make a big difference, either.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

You have to remember, not everyone can afford special purpose fully rifled slugguns, and sabot slugs that cost $2 a shot. Give those guys something as simple as a cheap iron sighted 30-30 andtheir accuracy wiill improve drastically, and IMO his tendancy to blast away at deer in the hopes that one of his shots will connect will besignificantly reduced
You think if there is a 150" buck standing there 300 yards away people will be counting dollars and cents at that moment?[:-][:-]
Old 06-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-26-2005, 05:36 PM

And MY point was that you can't guarantee you will always have a failsafe backstop in the woods. Longer range = more dangerous.

SOME rifles are more accurate than slug guns, and SOME rifles produce less recoil than slug guns, but its not an absolute ( go shoot a .460 WBY if you don't believe me.)

The fact is that the gap between modern slug guns and rifles closes more and more every year. The latest loads by Winchester, and this year Hornady, are pretty similar ballisticallyto a 45-70.

Personally, I feel that rifles are probably a tad more dangerous than slug guns, but the real determining factor is the guy pulling the trigger.

I know we can both agree on that.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:00 PM

I dont know, I guess I personally wouldnt be out there with a rifle, as some already stated, my locale suggests short range shooting. I feel ALL the folks out there pose a threat to my safety in some form or another. Theres much less accountability these days. And like Ive already stated, I feel that the rifles are already out there, in other forms. If NY state is going to become a dangerous crossfire, how come theres still hunters left in PA?

As for the state managing the herds, hell, weve had such an overpopulation of deer in recent years, having less this year makes guys think theyre gone! Some of the same guys that went for seconds and thirds on management permits a couple years ago are often the guys hollering the loudest now, around my area. Some areas seem almost void of deer, and other areas are still crawling with them. Theres definietly a 7 foot browse line in any woodlot in my region. A one hour drive on any highway here will allow you to see dozens of deer, and many roadkills. To be honest with you guys, Im not sure I could help this state manage a deer herd even if they were to ask me!
Old 06-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

So now bascially I believe we've come to the conclusion that Rifles could be a safety issue in Southern Tier Ny, becasue of their longer range, and that hunters would still make those mulitple shots in excess.
I think weneed to look at thethe reason why hunters using shotguns feel they need to shoot those slugs so many times repeatedly. Its seems to me its become a mindset of old times. When the slug gun was know for being strictly a shorter range weapon, and those lead slugs really didn't have the accuracy hunters hoped would at longer ranges. Too many hunters got onto the mindset I need to throw as much lead as possible to try, and hit that darn deer. Its a practice that become all too common on opening day of the southern tier. A mindset that is dangerous. Add the semi-auto slug gun, and we have a popular multiple repeater that oughta bring me down a deer on opening day!
Now look at the reputation of the rifle. Accuracy instantly comes to mind. And long range accuracy at that. You don't hear the constant repeating shots in the North. You can make a arguement for the numbers of hunters. But regardless you still just don't hear the constant repeating shots. Not to mention the best known accurate rifles are made of Bolt actions.Of course you have other actions, but bolts are known forhaving the best of accuracy.
So put some rifles insome hunters hands, and you change the whole mindset,because of theweapons capabilities. The hunter suddenly realizes he has a weapon thats more then capable of making a very accurate shot. He now realizes he no longer needs to blaze lead through the woods. He instead takes better more careful aim, becasue he now has no excuse but himself for missing that deer. Suddenly you have better hunters in the woods.
Does this mean all hunters will stop repeating shots. Heck no. But I have a strong feeling it will change alot of them.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Spike

im also from Oswego county and would like the usage of riffles in my area some areas are to tight for the use of riffles but most new shotguns and all mussel loader reach out just as far good luck in all your hunts and hope to meet some ny hunters
Old 06-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Having a "more capable weapon" doesn't matter when you load the woods with people that are shooting the thing once a year when opening day arrives. The rifle being more powerful and accurate doesn't mean that the weekend warrior hunters can hit the broadside of a barn. I'm not trying to bash or stereotype such hunters, but let's face it they exist and we all know it. Those are the ones where I see it being more dangerous. I wouldn't want to be on the other end of the field or hedgerowthey were shooting across.

Also just having a rifle in your hands may give people a false sense of good shot choice. There's a deer 200 yards away and i have a rifle!! Hey that means I can shoot at it. Well maybe not unless you've practiced that shot and are 100% confident you're not going to sail it over it's back.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:26 AM

Hi guys, I am new here.

I am from Massachusetts but belong to Owl Creek, a hunting club out there. The club has leased land in Spencer and Slatersville. With this bill passed, both leased properties would be allowed to use rifles on. I just found out about the bill last weekend when I went out there to see a friend, the club Secretary.

The only way I get info about hunting when I am not out there is through the NY Outdoor News, which hasn't mentioned that bill yet in any of their weekly issues.

So has Pataki signed this bill or is it pending or what?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:40 AM

I live in Broome county and can NOT believe they are gonna allow rifle anyplace in broome strictly from the range aspect.

I quit gun hunting deer cuz of the mass of IDIOTS with gunsin the southern teir. Especially from Broome county east to the city. And I hunted private posted land that no one was supposed to be on. Nothing better than standing behind a tree 100 yards from someone shooting that can't see you but you can tell the bullets are coming your way just by the sound of the shots. And then you hear it. tick tick tick tick of slugs ripping thru braches over your head and one actually smacks the tree your behind about 10 foot up.

No thanks.

There simply isn't enough space in Broome county for mass of hunters to use rifles.

It aint just the deer that gonna die in Broome county if this passes for that county.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.