Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

[Deleted]

Old 06-24-2005, 01:30 PM

Default RE: New York rifle bill passes

Volker sounds like Schumer talking about CWD and how NYS can't afford to lose sportsman "licencse sales"I can'timagine ever seeing any of these guys in the woods let alone making decisions onour hunting privilages and practices. Well rifle bill or notit still comes down to practice,patience and skill.No one has mentioned that a muzzle loader can reach out to as farasthe rifle and we have been using them for how long? We will all be in the woods come opening day so shoot straight and remember - one shot, one kill!
Old 06-24-2005, 01:57 PM

I think this same bill or another one like it was around last year. I t only got so far then sat in limbo on somebody's desk and died. I almost got a new barrel for my Encore in anticipation of it happening. Glad I didn't then and am sure not gonna order one thinking it will happen now.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: WNY Bowhunter

This statement cracks me up too:

"For several years, the growth in the population of deer in the Southern Tier have been profound, to the point that this wildlife management bill has been passed so as to mitigate economic losses to our residents and to save lives as well," said Senator Dale M. Volker.

Huh....I thought that the DEC was cutting back on the DMP permits this fall due to the decline in harvest numbers across the state in the past couple of years. This guy needs to get his head out of his butt. Just my two cents on the issue.
I agree - pure bullcrap. The state is under targets in 2/3 of the WMU, mostly in the western part of the state where they want to expand rifles - huh?

Rifles will save lives? Then we should have had them years ago!

I really don't care either way, but why the spin?
Old 06-24-2005, 08:32 PM

I should remind you fellow hunters that Senator Volker is oneof avery few representatives that actually stands up for you and I as hunters. Theres not too many doing so, trust me, Im involved. As for his knowledge of deer numbers, etc, keep in mind that hes an elected official, and represents us all, and because of this is just talking the numbers hes given. I cant say enough about how we should support the senator. To put his name in the same sentence as Schumer is a crime...

I dont know what all the deal is on rifles, personally. Modern muzzleloaders do darn near the same thing. Guys have been using "sawn off" rifles in the form of contenders, etc, for years. To those who disagree, I know too many guys with high powered pistols that use home made shoulder rests, etc. Thats when it becomes a rifle. PA hunters havent managed to kill each other off yet, either. Id say the only thing Id be uncomfortable with is hunters, in general, lack of accountability with weapons, and the chance of homes being within gun range.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:03 PM

If this does happen will it be for this year? Also, how many New Yorkers who don't own a rifle will be purchasing one for the season?
Old 06-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Dominant Buck

It really doesn't matter. In my opinion NY DEC has screwed the herd up so bad in some areas it'll never be right. Surprisingly they included Chenango County on the list. I've been a "NO DRAW" on deer management permits in that county for 3 years straight, and it looks like they won't let Non residents have them again this year. YET< this dude says the deer are taking over. I don't know where he's hunting but it isn't in Chenango County. My brother and his gang had by far the worst year they've had in 40 in the Southern Tier(Chenango County). The next worst was the year before. These people are stupid. They really are. What weapons we use really doesn't matter. Heck, these muzzleloaders they've been shooting for the past few years are as accurate as most of the off the shelf rifles. Shotgun, rifle, muzzleloader... it doesn't matter. They need some better game management if you ask me. They ask for input but don't listen. And NO you non residents can't have your say, but send your $300 for your hunting license. Been doing it for 25 years, I'm about ready to say screw 'em and just go up for the beer and food.

Throw in a little CWD scare and these Maryland deer are looking fine. Heck, I've been invited to Ohio, WVa, Indiana, Gaand PA this year. Who needs to try and keep up with NY.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shotgun, rifle, muzzleloader... it doesn't matter. They need some better game management if you ask me.
Amen to that.

The only difference I see is in the numbers. We do have muzzleloaders in NY but it pails in comparison to the shotgun hunter numbers. Can you imagine if every shotgun was replaced with a rifle on opening day in NY? Can any of you honestly tell me the woods would be safer? I don't know about most of you that hunt in NY, but the terrain I hunta 75 yard shotis probably the most I'd ever need with my shotgun. Why do we need something flying through the air for 300 yards? Kill more deer? Manage the herd ?? Give me a break. How about ..................... kill more people with hunting related accidents.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:19 PM

When I was a kid we hunted near Cooperstown (where we lived) with shotguns, never had a problem taking deer.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Ahh butt..... no matter the weapon, each successive miss causes more and more anxiety which in turn makes the trigger finger move more rapidly, which in turn causes the arms to shake more violently which in turns causes them to spray more widely and area. I always used to sit there and listen. ONE SHOT.... "Yup, dead deer". Two three four shots in rapid succession..... "Yup, scared deer". ONE SHOT.... few seconds of silence... one more shot(finishing them off) ..... "Yup, probably dead deer or hunter committed suicide for missing".

What's amazing to me is that NY still hasn't gotten on board with a hunter orange requirement. Patacki says it'll make them less safe if everyone is wearing orange. What woods has he been hunting in? His theory, they'll be more careful if they know hunter may be in all camo. Give me a break. I wear bunches of orange in the Southern Tier, but when I'm in the Adirondacks I'm all camo, simply because of the numbers of hunters and the skills of the hunters involved.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.