Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PGC and Gary Alt' Newspaper comments? >

PGC and Gary Alt' Newspaper comments?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC and Gary Alt' Newspaper comments?

Old 06-28-2005, 05:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PGC and Gary Alt' Newspaper comments?

So I wonder what "new method" the game commission is going to utilize in order to get more accurate deer numbers now that Gary's method has been shot down?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

With all the importance the P.G.C.puts on scientic studies I think a model along these lines would be supported by all.

We could count just the road kills that were struck buy Chevy trucks made after 1998 thenmutiply that by the number of days Chevy trucks are driven,then divide that by the percent of out of state drivers who drive Chevy trucks in WMA G2 with an "Alt "variable of pie -r - squared the OWDD would be proven to every ones satisfaction.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 06-28-2005, 04:51 PM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

So I wonder what "new method" the game commission is going to utilize in order to get more accurate deer numbers now that Gary's method has been shot down?
Dr. R. said they would no longer rely on a population computer model and would base their decisions on future harvests on habitat surveys using indicator plants to determine if there are to many deer. However, he didn't explain how they will come up with the number of anterless tags that they will issue. He also didn't explain where he would get the staff necessary to do the habitat surveys over 45 K SM of the state every year. He also didn't address the issue of cultural carrying capacities and whether that would be an issue.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:01 AM
Host of Hosts

Sounds to me like the whining and complaining that hunters did at the end of last season about the number of deer spotted as compared to other years , scared the crap out of the PGC and now they are just scrambling to find a "new method" so they can calm hunters. More politics in the PGC if you ask me.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

We could count just the road kills that were struck buy Chevy trucks made after 1998 thenmutiply that by the number of days Chevy trucks are driven,then divide that by the percent of out of state drivers who drive Chevy trucks in WMA G2 with an "Alt "variable of pie -r - squared the OWDD would be proven to every ones satisfaction.
Uhhh, don't forget about the cross sectional coefficient.

Ddear,

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

He also didn't explain where he would get the staff necessary to do the habitat surveys over 45 K SM of the state every year.
Aren't we supposed to have regional biologists in place in the not-so-distant future? I would think this is part of the program.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

The variables in barometric pressure in 2 G should more than make up any lunar changes in fawn reproduction.

For example : Most people that drive Chevytrucks are out on full moon nights.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Jason N

He also didn't explain where he would get the staff necessary to do the habitat surveys over 45 K SM of the state every year.
Aren't we supposed to have regional biologists in place in the not-so-distant future? I would think this is part of the program.
One biologist per WMU would not be nearly enough man power to conduct representative indicator plant surveys evey year during the growing season. How could one man possible survey over 4000 SM of land in 2G .
Old 06-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

You Bet - me and my Chevy Truck love those full moon nights.

Quick Reply: PGC and Gary Alt' Newspaper comments?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.