Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 bald eagle shooting >

bald eagle shooting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

bald eagle shooting

Old 06-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default bald eagle shooting

GAME COMMISSION SEEKS INFO ABOUT EAGLE SHOOTING

JERSEY SHORE, Lycoming County- Pennsylvania Game Commission Northcentral Regional Director Dennis Dusza today announced that the agency is seeking information about the person or persons responsible for killing an immature bald eagle. The eagle was found in Clearfield County near the Penn/Pike township line, just north of the Curwensville Dam in the vicinity of Kirk Street extension, Lumber City. Dusza noted that Wildlife Conservation Officers (WCOs) Dave Stewart and Chris Ivicic are investigating this incident and is asking the public for information about the person/persons responsible.

A concerned citizen reported finding the eagle to the Game Commission on Sunday, May 15. According to WCO Stewart, a necropsy determined that the eagle was killed with a shotgun between Tuesday, May 10, and Saturday, May 14, and died where it was shot. Based on initial investigation, the eagle was probably perched in a tree at the time of the incident.

An immature eagle, which lacks the characteristic white head feathers, is defined as being less than 4 years old.

"This was a senseless act," WCO Stewart said. "To have someone shoot an eagle or any bird of prey is an absolute shame.

"I am asking the public for help, if anyone knows or hears anything about this illegal shooting, they can call the Northcentral Regional Office at 570-398-4744. I will be grateful for any and all assistance. Any information we do receive, will be held in strictest confidence."

Pennsylvania Wildlife Habitat Unlimited (PWHU) has offered a reward of $500 for information leading to the successful prosecution of the person/s responsible for the killing of the eagle. The Bennetts Valley Rod & Gun Club is offering a reward for an undetermined amount as well.

Nationally, bald eagles were first protected by the Bald Eagle Protection Act of 1940. In 1967, the bald eagle was declared an endangered species by the U.S. government, because its population had been decimated by the widespread use of the pesticide DDT. In 1995, after a decade of re-introduction projects, eagle populations rebounded and the species was moved to the Federal Threatened Species list. Today, more than 6,000 nesting pairs live in the continental United States.

While the state's bald eagle population has increased by more than 150 percent over the past five years, bald eagles remain on Pennsylvania's Endangered Species list. For more information, visit the Game Commission's website: www.pgc.state.pa.us, click on wildlife, choose endangered and threatened species, and select bald eagle.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: bald eagle shooting

that is so messed up.. i really hope they find them
Old 06-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

As a hunter i would have no problem reporting someone who did that,
he's not a hunter or a poacher, just a moron, who should have his shotgun taken away, and not be allowed in the woods.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:20 AM

Sickening. I hope they are caught and punished accordingly for killing an endanged species. Huge fines and some jail time are certainly in order.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hope they get him. A similar incident happened here in MA about a year and a half ago. An old guy shot an immature bald eagle "thinking it was a pheasant". Someone witnessed it and turned him in. I think he got some large fines and lost his hunting license for life... Too bad he was an old timer and won't really feel the punishment like a younger hunter would have.
I just don't understand what would ever possess somebody to do that in the first place. It is a sickness!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it happened in Pennsy , why do you start your story with Jersey Shore?[>:][:'(]
Old 06-02-2005, 01:24 PM

I don't agree with anyone shooting an eagle, thats for sure. But if I may, has anyone entertained the thought that the person may have thought it was a roosted turkey? Was turkey season open? If so, although it's a shame, i for one would not be quick to chastice someone for a mistake. Just a thought.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

jersey shore is a town in (pennsy)
mossehornhunter- yes turkey was in season but even so your not aloud to shoot turkeys on the roost..
ORIGINAL: jerseyhunter

If it happened in Pennsy , why do you start your story with Jersey Shore?[>:][:'(]
Old 06-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

jersey shore is a town in (pennsy)
I gotta see this.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:21 PM

PA.....That being said, Sounds to me like mistaken identity, and a small infraction that turned very, very wrong.

Quick Reply: bald eagle shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.