Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Anyone have a cabin in NC PA? >

Anyone have a cabin in NC PA?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Anyone have a cabin in NC PA?

Old 05-22-2005, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Anyone have a cabin in NC PA?

Anyone have a cabin in NC PA? Are you being forced to install a sewage system? Our family has a cabin in Clinton County, Chapman township. The township is telling us that DER is forcing cabins to install a holding tank. For goodness sake! Our cabin has three or four guys that utilize the camp during bear season (3 days) and maybe a summer weekend for repairs. An outhouse has served us well for over 50 years now they want a sewage system. Hell, our cabin doesnt even have electricity or running water.
If anyone is having this problem too, send me an email. Maybe if we unite, we can stop this craziness.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:12 AM

Default RE: Anyone have a cabin in NC PA?

DER does not exist in PA.

Check into what the township is asking but it would be a good idea to put something in rather than possibly pollute any ground water source. Most people do not like drinking fecal matter in the ground water from a well. Chances are the township went through some well water testing and found high bacteria counts thus the need for some type of sewage containment system at the cabins and residences.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

dont know how populated the area is,but does sound ridiculous. Put wheels on the cabin .Problem solved. If you had a camper with wheels and a legal plate they could not force you.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:16 AM

Yep, drinking your own fecal matter is pretty rediculous.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not going to argue the point.but I was a enviromental engineer/consutant for the state and private industries for 40 years.Sure populated areas needs a septic system and eventually a municipal sewer plant. but I'm telling you there are not so honest deals being made between contractors and local politicians .Just for capital grant money for their own pockets. Example a scam including the townships,water testing firms and contractors is> The water testing labs make a deal with the townships to go and test the residents well water free. The only thing ,they dont do it right on puropose. I caught them myself.usually dont take the sample properly. they dont let the water run long enough,dont take the screen off the spicket. the Coliform count of course is high.Then the sale push comes.On a bigger scale if the township can get enough negative results they can recieve lots of free grant money. they tried to pull that in my township 2 years ago.A water testing rep showed up at my door.They were hired by the township. I let them do there thing. He polluted the sample with improper procedures. I then took my own sample .took it to another lab. His failed ,mine passed . I then wrote a letter to the township,testing company,state officials.What do you know the study was discontinued.I held what they called an A water and A wasterwater license .I realized they changed the license system the past couple years. and was a lab tech and had my own business,which I operated and consulted for 37 industries/ Like I said the day does come where popoulated areas do need a system.But in Clinton county in the mountains seems suspicious.I live right now in a township that has 1 home to every 2 acres. We have wells and just holding tanks.No municipal system. Wells just fine
Old 05-22-2005, 01:42 PM

maybe if there was deer there. i am searching for a cabin site.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a camp in Clinton County, first I heard of it, we have an outhouse and havent had a problem yet,
Old 05-22-2005, 06:00 PM

Cardeer, not to question your experience but I too have worked in the environmental field. Worked many years for an engineering firm that specializes in water & waste water design. Dealt with on-lot systems and the issues related a great deal. Biggest joke out there are the people that think you do not have to pump a sludge tank to their on-lot system. LOL Where are all those solids going?? Just disappear right into the earth! LOL , yeah right.

There isn't a stream in PA that I would not drink from with out treating the water. For decades there have been cabins & houses with their outhouses depositing human waste directly into the ground and evenutally into the groundwater and local streams. $hit flows down hill whether it's overland flow like a stream or underground in the water table.

Bronko, just ask the township what the reasoning behind the requirement is. Typically samples are taken from wells and tested for various things that can cause you harm. Even though you are there only a couple days of the year your neighbors might be there much more and it could be effecting the water you are drinking. Also, that 50 year old out house could very well be contaminating your well water. Doesn't sound very tasty does it. Educate yourself some on the science behind the madness and you will have a better understanding of how things work.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

We installed an incinerator toilet in our camp. If you don't have electric, you are out of luck on that one, though. See them at www.incinolet.com
Old 05-23-2005, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have a cabin in Lycoming county and actually just got finished building a new outhouse. We actually do have a holding tank but we put the outhouse right on top of it. We usually have it emptied once or twice a year.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a cabin in NC PA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.