Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NEED TO VENT!!!

Old 05-20-2005, 07:59 AM

Default RE: NEED TO VENT!!!

That's interesting info and good to know. Although I've never hunted in NY I've spent countless days wandering the Salmon River. I saw lots of posted signs so I wasn't sure of the law.

You'd be a smart man to post it before the season starts if you want to remain uninterupted in your woods. I make the walk about a month before the season and take my signs down the weekend after the season ends. Posted signs are an eye sore but for the most part very effective.

Any luck yet since this hunt?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: amayerican

The other mornin’ my girlfriend and I went out on her first turkey hunt. I want her to go out to see if she’s gunna’ like it befor we spend the time to get her involved and then find out she doesn’t like it… got there about 4:45 and walked about a half mile and I did some crow calls, had a couple crows come in so they did the works for me, few min. later I did some small quite yelps, nothing, few min. later I kicked it up a notch and yelped a bit louder, suuure enough there’s a couple gobbles about a 500 hundred yards away, so we took this quad trail and headed in front of them about 200 yards in the woods about 5 yards away from a field… took about 5 minits. to work the bird in the field, but took 20 min. to work the bird to me… nice bird too, long beard, the works, “shooter”. I need him closer though, he’s about 40 yards away and I no my Winchester 1300 can reach out there (have done it befor) but I want him closer... my girlfriend is going crazy… then the hen he was with took off plucking and the gobbler fluttered down looking skittish, im thinkin’ this bird seen something, and wants to take off, “now or never I said” took the shot and the bird flew off!!! Im astounded!! I got up and watch the bird fly acrossed the field and into the woods down below, something took my glance and there it was, some wood chuck moron was walkin’ away from the field dressed in camo… sure enough, that was a good reason those birds got weird, and wanted out of there. It just sucks that that dooshbag tried intercepting my bird I worked for. There should be an IQ test for hunting licenses!!!

BUUUT my girlfriend is hooked, along with bow season she is getting into after last years success.
Almost the same thing happened to me in the 2004 spring season. I got into my spot real early - 4:00 AM and waited for day light. I started calling real soft and got a couple of gobbles right of the bat. I had three birds working - 2 in front of me and one comming in from behind me. Out of now where I hear a shot form about 100 yrds in front of me where one of the birds was comming in from. I thought it was alll over but I waited a couple of minutes and called again and I still had the bird from behind me and one of the birds from in front of me comming. About 15 minutes and another gun shot and that tookout the bird behind me.
I was pissed. I got up and walked over to where I heard the first shot and found where the bird had been shot and then I found where the second bird had been shot. While I was looking aroung I heard a gooble so I setup again and started calling. A nice bird came over the ridge in front of me about 50 yrds out strutting right towards me so I just shut up and let him come. At 30 yrds I pulled up and was waiting for him to come around a fallen tree when he stopped strutting then took off through the woods.
I couldn't figure out what happened. I knew I didn't move and he didn't see me and the I saw something out of the corner of my eye. A coyote trotting down an old logging trail right towards my bird.
Well that was probably the most frustrating time I ever had in the woods.

I don;t see what sport it is to sneak in on someone's location, setup on the birds they are working and shot and run. Niether of those guys stuck around to show off thier bird and my car was the only one out at the road. I guess you can expect to get screwed up by other hunters on public land once in awhile but this was private property and no one else had permission to even be out there.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:20 PM

Adams, I haven’t had any luck like I had last week. But im teaching my girl the ethics of hunting while were out; so im happy with that.

Jhoffman, I was with my uncle when I was a kid, when another hunter shot a bird a couple hundred yards away, we sat there and he started calling. I was confused, but learning, so I didn’t say anything, sure enough one came in and boom. He got one… years later I was watching a hunting show and a guy shot a bird, all the other turkeys jumped but didn’t even move after, my guess was they thought it was thunder. Remember, a turkey’s brain is only as big as a pee.

There has also been times when there was another hunter on the property trying to work a bird, you can hear there call, for me, not to be an *******, and walk up to the guy while birds are being work and drive him out.. I take it as a challenge and try to make my calls sound better and work the bird away from him and to me, with some of the clientele out there; it’s not hard to do.

Your huntin' trip was more like a better, bad day to be at work. You no the sain.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:53 AM

I have no problem with having some competition in the woods. I am very confident in my ability to call in a bird i haven't gone a season since '93 without getting a bird. The problem I had that day was these other guys weren't even calling they just cut off the birds that i had working setup between us and got the shot.

Its like me shooting the bird, carying it out of the woods, putting it in the bed of thier truck with a note saying "good job! Hope you enjoy"
Old 05-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

I bet this happens more than most would think. I've had it happen to me the last 3 seasons in a row.

Two seasons ago I was working a long-beard for about a half hour and he was coming in strong, big tom, and I could hear two other guys rapping on thier box calls from other directions. He got within 50 yards and I could see him strutting adn he was committed when all a sudden he putts and runs away....then i see some guy sit down and start rapping on the box about 60 yards from me, what a dumba$$, ruined my hunt and educated an old tom trying to get too close.

This year I had my buddy out for his first turkey hunt, we were working two toms that had hens since daylight. An hour later they're committed and coming in, well then we see two guys in camo cut between us and the birds, less than 60 yards from us, adn sit and wait 10 minutes and shoot a jake out of the bunch.......after I yelped, crow called you name it so they knew I was there. They didn't give a crap, no apologies no nothing, cut us off plain and simple and shot a bird. I hope they go 4 seasons without shooting another tom.

There's a difference between accidently bumping into someone and purposely cutting one off, no need for it. If I see a truck I go somewere else
Old 05-26-2005, 04:07 AM
Typical Buck

It's too bad that your hunt happened the way it did for you and I'm not saying the other hunter was right! but if the property wasn't posted, where was he wrong? How was he to know you were hunting those birds? For me I get upset when they know you're hunting a bird but still continue to try and cut you off or when they (igorant wannabes) try to out a gobbler away from me. If that was thew case in your situation I'd be with you all the way on giving this guy a piece of my mind!

I don't and never have lived there in NY but it's to my understanding from friends that do! In NY, YOU DON'T NEED permission to hunt property THAT'S NOT POSTED. It just like VT and NH as far as posting goes, once you're asked to leave and not hunt there, it's as if it was posted. Please correct me if I'm wrong so I can give my NY hunting buddies hell for miss leading me.

Agian, I'm sorry your hunt ended up the way it did and I hope that by posting it you'll never run into this situation again
Old 05-26-2005, 07:14 AM

I live and hunt in WNY and whether land is posted or not - it is common courtesy to ask permission from the land owner if you are going to be on his property. I farm I hunt on - I have hunted since I was 12 - I am very good friends with the land owner and will even give him some venison or some homemade venison sausage after every deer season. He like to know who's on his property and he like hunters but there are some people who take advantage of the fact that his land is not posted and just park in the middle of his farm road, leave gates open, drive across his corn field, and even driver through standing corn to get to where they want to hunt instead of walking the 1/4 m ile from the road to the woods. They won't know how good they have it till he does post the land and they the can't hunt it at all when all they would have had to do is ask and they could hunt whenever they wanted. The guys even nice enough to call me and let me know where the flocks are hanging out during the day and where he saw the biggest bucks.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

I understand where you're coming from! See it all the time here in NH and I ALWAY ask if it's not posted or even when it is As you mentioned, a lot of the times they(landowners) just want to know who's on the land so they do it by posting.

It's sad but having common courtesy towards landowners isn't a law. Not having that hunter/landowner respect really hurts the one that try to do it right. I give all the landowner I hunt on this form (below) which I fill out each year even though I don't have to. You would be shocked how many people I know don't allow hunting on their land! grant me permission after talking to them and showing them this form.

PERMISSION FORM TO HUNT

I agree by siging this form to abide by the Hunter’s Code of Ethics listed on the back of this form. I further agree that I will NOT HOLD YOU THE LANDOWNER RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY accidents occurring to myself or hunting partner while on your property.

Hunter’s Name:

Address:

Town: State: Zip:

Telephone: Home Cell

Email:

Hunting Licenses: NH # VT # WV # MD #

PA # NY #

Bowhunter’s Education Program: #

Vehicle Description & plate #:

ATV Description:

Hunter’s Signature ____________________________ Date __________

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I HEREBY GIVE PERMISSION TO

To hunt on my property during the 2004 hunting season.

Turkey Deer Bear Coyote Grouse Rabbit Pheasant Shed hunting

Bow Rifle Shotgun Blackpowder Handgun

(If any of the above listings are circled, this means the landowner is allowing only that circled game to be hunted or circled weapon to be used while on their land)

Screw in tree steps or screw in bow holders MAY / MAY NOT be used while hunting on my property.

ATV for the removal ONLY of harvested game from the property is OK / NOT OK to use on my land.

Landowner ___________________________ Date ____________
Old 05-27-2005, 07:38 PM

I found out who the guy was…. It’s actually my friend’s dad… well I talked to him about everything, and I didn’t no he had permition to be on the property, nether did he no I had permission… we talked about where we were, and what not, he said those birds were about 50 yards in front of him, and that I called them from him to me, he never hurd my calls so he didn’t no I was there, same for me…. We felt like an ass but we both realize it was a miss communication problem. No hard feelings between the both of us. Im glad the puzzle is but together. And in the future we will contact each other befor heading into the woods, for common courtesy and safety.

MK M GOBL... "stuttin" loooove that!