Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Miscellaneous
A Kodiak Bear Mauling - Kindle Ebook >

A Kodiak Bear Mauling - Kindle Ebook

Community
Miscellaneous Still trying to get rid of that old couch or TV? Try selling it here.

A Kodiak Bear Mauling - Kindle Ebook

Old 02-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Spike

Default A Kodiak Bear Mauling - Kindle Ebook

http://www.amazon.com/A-Kodiak-Bear-...8215651&sr=1-2

In 1998 the author survived a horrific mauling by a Kodiak brown bear. This is the story of that event along with additional tales and personal observations about these coastal giants. The book includes a number of graphic photographs taken within minutes of the actual event, along with the authors personal photos of bears and other Alaskan wildlife.

$4.99

A Kodiak Bear Mauling
Living and Dying with Alaska’s Bears

By R. Keith Rogan
Chapter 1
The Eyes of a Grizzly

I was moving very slowly and quietly with the wind in my face and as I rounded a clump of brush I looked to my left and saw a bear lying there. She was perhaps ten yards away and looking me right in the eye. The animal was crouched low to the ground, paws in front ready to go and I've often wondered if our eyes hadn't met, that perhaps the animal might have allowed me to walk right on past. As it was, the bear just leaped as soon as our eyes met and she was inside my rifles swing before I could get it up to my shoulder. The next few minutes would change my life forever, leaving physical and mental scars that still plague me to this day.

Meeting the eyes of a grizzly is an interesting experience because those eyes hold real intelligence and power. The eyes of other common Alaskan animals (such as moose or caribou) reveal little; perhaps fear or vague curiosity. A ruminant’s brain has very little room for much beyond eating, fleeing and mating. Your attention is drawn to other things on such an animal; the antlers perhaps...

A bear is a different proposition altogether. The wide brown eyes of this predator are expressive and calculating, and meeting them is to know that you are looking into the mind of a thinking animal. I can’t stress that difference enough, though it’s difficult to articulate this to people who haven’t had the experience. When meeting a grizzly at close range you generally find yourself waiting for the animal to make a decision - to leave, hopefully. Your eyes will lock with those of the bear and there will be some sort of visceral communication taking place. You can watch the play of emotion and calculation cross the animals face while he evaluates you and tries to decide what your presence means and what he should do about it.

Are you a threat? Can he take those succulent salmon or berries you are holding? Are you food?

Those eyes may show surprise at first, followed by curiosity (examining you or the fish or berries you carry), to anger, bluster, intimidation, indecision... What you do to influence that animal’s next move may hold the key to how this little drama plays out; whether you go home with a great bear tale or become organic matter feeding the salmonberries and wild roses.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just reading that little intro in the link with his head in her jaws is all I need to read, thank you!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Spike

That was my head!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea, I know, and I'll stick with my original post and why I don't hunt up there or in the Rockies where there is anything that can eat me, LOL!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Spike

Well, buy the book and you'll be better prepared for bear country.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Read my lips---I AM VERY WELL PREPARED BECAUSE I DON'T HUNT BIG BEAR COUNTRY!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Spike

Amazon has a free app to download and read Kindle books on your PC here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...l_6g97entshf_b

A lot of the classic books on hunting are long out of copyright and available for free (or very cheap - like 99 cents) in Ebook format. You can download Teddy Roosevelt's various hunting books, John Henry Patterson (Lions of Tsavo), Jim Corbett, etc.

And, of course you can buy my book!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like a good read Keith. I'll pick it up some time!