Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Miscellaneous
Planting trees...getting the most for your money. >

Planting trees...getting the most for your money.

Community
Miscellaneous Still trying to get rid of that old couch or TV? Try selling it here.

Planting trees...getting the most for your money.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Spike

Default Planting trees...getting the most for your money.

Planting trees is one of the best ways to "give something back " to the land. The thing I like about trees is once they are established, they are prettymuch self refilling feeders. An oak tree may not drop acorns every single year, but they are usually consistant. If you plant the right variety it is possible to have acorns every year. I am trying to get rid of a bunch of last years nursery overstock. If anybody is interested I have 3gal. oak's. Sawtooth, Swamp Chestnut, Nuttall, Shumard, and others!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

To bad i wasn't closer, i'd take you up on that offer.

your right about trees, plant once and they give back for generations. I'm trying to decide what varieties to order for this spring.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Spike

Default Planting Trees

I agree, plant once and recieve year after year. I enjoy collecting oak's, and growing them is kind of a hobby of mine. What is your general location, what do you have in mind as far as planting goes this year. I always try to plant at least ten or twenty trees per year. It may not seem like much at the moment, but in twenty years I will have a stand of many different oaks, and the great thing is the wildlife as well as my children (and hopefully grandchildren) can enjoy them as well.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:12 AM
Spike

Hey dirty hands, I planted some shumard, nutall and sawtooth last fall in southern Michigan. I had never heard of them before. I bought them from a Home Depot garden section and they had a Mossy Oak tag on them. The tags say that they will produce sweet acorns fast. Can you share what you know about these varieties and what I can expect from them. The sawtooth trees are about 7 feet tall the others are about 5 feet. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks, John
Old 01-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Spike

Hey hungry eagle!,

I have seen some of those Mossy Oak oaks at a Home Depot as well but never actually purchased them (I got more trees than I know what to do with now). I also have viewed there web site, they have what they call an Air Pruned tree that supposedly will produce acorns faster than usuall. I after seeing that i did some research on air pruned trees and it as it turns out that method produces fantastic results,including faster tree growth and quicker acorn production. You can read more about all that at their web site. nativnurseries.com

As far as the trees you purchased, they all should thrive in your area however the nutall should be planted in a location that stays fairly wet, the shumard can tollerate being flooded occasionaloly but for the most part they like it somewhat dry. As for the "sweet" acorn fast thing, I would expect the sawtooths to produce the quickest and be the best tasting, Shumard and Nutall are in the red oak famil and while deer most definatly will eat them I think they prefer acorns with less tanic acid, White Oaks.