Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
any new iowa mountain lion stories? >

any new iowa mountain lion stories?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

any new iowa mountain lion stories?

Old 09-18-2002, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default any new iowa mountain lion stories?

there have been a growing number of sitings around here. one even killed a horse a few weeks ago. i heard that a guy in western iowa shot one, and the DNR took him to court. its not protected, and there isn't a season on them, so the DNR had no case (from what i have heard). have any of you heard of anything on this? i think that iowa is to closely populated to protect lions. most people i know are planning to shoot any they see. i think the legislature is going to try to get them protected soon, i know i don't want one sneaking up on my turkey decoys. i plan to carry a pistol whenever i am out in the timber. i have talked to many bowhunters who are going to do the same. these things are too big to be taken lightly.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:28 AM

Default RE: any new iowa mountain lion stories?

I live down in Logan Ia about 30 minutes north of Council Bluffs or Omaha Ne. We got at least one and some of the neighbors are saying up to three running around our area. I tracked one into a timber this winter during coyote hunting. I don't know what I would do if I saw one. On one hand we have so many turkeys that I think it is effecting the pheasant population and I think the lions would be of great help in controling them.