Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 WI Non-resident Deer Licenses Too Cheap! >

WI Non-resident Deer Licenses Too Cheap!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

WI Non-resident Deer Licenses Too Cheap!

Old 04-06-2005, 12:05 PM

Default RE: WI Non-resident Deer Licenses Too Cheap!

I have plenty of land to hunt in Illinois but my land is my livelyhood so I know I am in a unique situation. I am not in the Southern triangle hotspot for deer. Also, my family has plenty of land in Iowa for me to hunt if I ever wanted to go that route. Haven't even looked into it to be honest but I have seen the land and it is pretty good bottom ground with water and oak trees.

I am not a big fan of outfitters at all. I do not like their influence on the management schemes in the state as I feel that 10,000 clients should not influence what the other 100,000 bowhunters in the state are able to hunt. Lets look at what the outiftters wanted. They wanted NR's to not be allowed to hunt on public land. Hmmm, why is this? So they would be forced to go through the outfitters of course. They complain about "an out of control deer herd that needs to be culled. Therefore we need to have more permits for NR's to come in and kill the deer". Than, are not satisfied when the doe only tags are proposed when, removal of does will have a far greater impact on the "exploding" deer herd. We all know that it is about putting money in the pockets of the outfitters. Part of the proposal this year was a block of permits resereved for outiftters clients with the rest of the permits being put into a lottery. Part of me doesn't mind this but I think what they should do is ding the outiftters for more money if they are going to guarentee them permits and leave the "lottery" tags at a more reasonable price.

Absolutely the nightmare would be for all NR's being forced to go through outfitters by either 1) Only the wealthy can afford to hunt and they will use outfitters 2) Permit blocks 3) The most likely is the continued leasing of ground by outfiiters forcing people to use outfitters in order ot gain access to the land to hunt. This is not a good thing. The state of Illinois hasn't made it any better with a few of their rullings in court on liability issues but that might be fixed. Unfortunatly right now I face less chances of being sued if I lease out my ground to some outfitter than I do if I hold onto it myself, post no tresspassing and let 1 person on to hunt. As soon as I let one I am liable for everyone. Great.

I lived in Montana for several years and got to watch "pay" hunts gaining in strenght while I was out there. Nothing like seeing what was going on at Turners Ranch near Big Sky...
Old 04-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: IL Rancher
As far as Illinois is concerend the proposal for $25 tags for NR's to shoot does during archery season is probably going to pass. That is downright affordable but I doubt many NR's will take advantage of it since not many would want to make the trip to "just" harvest a doe.
So for the NR who "ONLY" wants to shoot does ..... With application fee, habitat stamp, and season long hunting license, that adds up to about $95 for the first doe, and $25 for each additional doe? Or, about $73 for the first doe if you only hunt 5 consecutive days or less.

Wisconsin is $160 for your first two deer (buck and doe), and $20 for each additional doe. No habitat stamp, no application fee, no addional hunting license, over the counter .... out the door. Again, still too cheap.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kevin1

ORIGINAL: 1sagittarius

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Enjoy your woods 1sagittarius ,
as your NR prices spiral ever upward you'll surely have fewer NRs to contend with .
and less NR IL, and MN traffic too?
I think that you could safely assume that .

If your prices get high enough you may not have to worry about NRs ever again . Illinois has already priced me out of their archery season , as though lack of access hadn't already . It won't be too much longer before the only place that I'll be able to afford to hunt is my own backyard . Before you start to think that's a good thing , go back to the post where guy told you about how the small business owners will thank you for robbing them of revenue , it's a fact . On average , a NR spends twice as much on lodging , food , gas , and other incidental expenses as he does on licences and tags , and far more than a res does or ever will . The deep pockets city boy hunters usually stay at a lodge where their owner/guide makes all the money that would otherwise have been pumped into the local economy .

That's what you're wishing for , and you'll get it .

Why is it so easy for some to see. The bigger and better the deer hunting ie QDM the more unaffordable hunting will become and the less those who rely on hunters for their living will benefit.

It was once the job of the government to empower the people. It seems that the government has become one of the peoples biggest competitors. All paid for by the people. Ohio has been investing in rare coins, a huge amount. I ask myself, Why do they have more than they should. It's the peoples business to invest in coins not the state. The county I live in is gobbling up real-estate. Why do they have the money to do it? That's the peoples business. At the end of 30 years I will have paid more in real-estate tax than I did for my house. I think I'll go lay down for a while.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Iowa's current NR deer license requires a application fee, habitat stamp, hunting license, and deer tag purchase for a total of $308. The new total would equal about $428 in required fees for a NR just to hunt deer in Iowa.

Iowa Senate Approves New Deer Bill

DES MOINES, IA--The Iowa Senate approved a bill last week that aims to reduce the state's white-tailed deer population by as many as 135,000 animals next year. Sen. Dennis Black's (D-IA) Senate Bill 206 seeks to reduce Iowa's burgeoning deer population primarily by increasing the number of free deer hunting licenses for resident landowners and tenants. However, other provisions of the bill include: Increasing the state's general nonresident hunting license fee from $80 to $100. In addition, a nonresident hunter who buys an any-sex deer license would also be required to purchase an additional antlerless deer license for $100. Creating a $1 deer hunting license surcharge. The additional money, expected to total $355,000 a year, would be used to expand a program in which meat processors are paid to process donated venison for prisons and food pantries. The bill would not increase the number of nonresident deer permits Iowa makes available. It would, however, remove the state's cap on antlerless tags.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:56 AM

CHECK OUT www.census.gov for factual information go to "W" for wildlife surveys then Wisconsin for info. their are 86 pages of information regaeding hunting, fishing and wildlife. Try this site www.wildoutdoorsman.com it may be updating it's services, but try anyway, good information.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Reciprocal is what I say.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

I've always thought as Spatrat mentioned...there should be reciprocation. We charge $136 for non residents to hunt deer which is in line with WI but Iowa?? I know it's a great state to hunt but I think it's a clear case of raking the non residents and it's only going to spread a price bumping war. As we said, the business owners will see the affects. MN and WI DNR are probably looking at Iowa and saying "If they can get that price why don't we". This does nothing to help the average hunter and everything to help the man who says money is no object.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:09 AM

I am a resident of Wisconsin and hunt both here and Minnesota every year. Minnesota last year adopted a great policy on their bow hunting tags, whatever your state charges MN residents to buy a non-resident tag is what you get charged. What a great idea if more states were to adopt this resdents of the state would start complaing about what they have to pay when hunting out off state if their own state was charging to much for people to come and hunt. Non-residents complaing about tag prices wont get anthing done but if residents start complaining because you have to pay $300.00 to hunt out of state casue thats what you state charges non residents then local law makers will pay attention!
Old 04-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Iowa is working on $428 in 2006.

Illinois passing $504.25 in 2005.

Wisconsin NR's pay $160 in 2004?

Minnesota = $135 minimum reciprocal for 2004
Old 04-26-2005, 09:40 PM

The way these states are charging for NR licences it's as if they don't want people to hunt there anymore. Once the NR stop showing up they have to start charging the residents more to make up for the loss of revenue and then it gets too much for the residents to hunt.