Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois rattling >

Illinois rattling

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois rattling

Old 02-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Illinois rattling

Anyone in Illinois have success with rattling? i have tried it in the past but with no response what so ever.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Illinois rattling

has worked for me on more than a few ocassions
Old 02-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

It hasn't worked for me but I have seen it work for a couple of friends. It's awesome to see it when it works.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

I've had good success on certain days. One day I rattled in 3 nice bucks within 2 hours. They all three came to the exact same position about 30 yards from my tree with no shot presented. It was a few years ago on about Nov. 5th. I seem to have more luck pre-rut than during or after the rut. They will pinpoint the sound and will circle downwind before closing the distance so I would set up with that in mind. I do my rattling from the tree stand because it's much easier to see them coming in. I like to use this method when I see a buck a good distance away with nothing to lose. I've watched them turn 180 degrees and come right back to me from about 200 yards out. It's fun to watch. I've learned alot doing it this way, when I can see the buck, as opposed to rattling blind. I can see the response for myself.
I watched a nice buck across an open field with a doe during the rut. I decided I wasn't going to get a shot so I thought I would see what the response would be. Once he heard the antlers crack together he looked my way for a second then lowered his head and gave the doe a poke to get her going away from the invisible buck. I learned real quick not to rattle if a buck is already with a doe.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:06 AM

I've had a few interesting experiences with rattling. I've been able to bring some bucks in. I usually grunt and bleat when I rattle. I've probably been able to bring in about a dozen or so bucks while rattling. But I didn't shoot a single one of those bucks. Most of them didn't provide a clean shot.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

while hunting shawnee forest in southern il i was up in my treestand one morning ticking rattling antlers together, i had a buck come in from behind me looking straight up at me boy was i surprised. i use my grunt tubes most of the time.