Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois - Crossbows >

Illinois - Crossbows

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois - Crossbows

Old 02-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Illinois - Crossbows

Illinois bow hunters:
Nearly every state around you has liberized or downright legalized them , none have reported any real dramatic changes or negative impact on other archery hunters . It wasn't just Seiben who got the ball rolling , it's been coming for some time now . I'd be more worried about the attempt to "dumb down" regular bows to the point that they may not take large game ethically and safely . We're having the same debate here , and the argument just keeps getting sillier by the day . Don't you boys have more important things to get into a tizzy over than a few crossbows in the woods ?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

I dont understand it either If you dont like it dont do it but why should you be able to tell someone else what they can hunt with or what they cant ? This is still the good old USA is it not ? Go do what you do and me and mine will do what we do!
Old 02-09-2005, 12:08 PM

To the person who said if you can't draw back a regular bow ..tuff; You walk a mile in my shoes having only the use of one side. It takes those of us with disabilities more B***s to get out of bed, get dressed and fight our way to our blinds than I imagine you will ever have. If the use of a crossbow allows mwe or anyone else the ability to get out and enjoy a sport we love , who in the Hell are you to tell me that "if you can't pull back a regular bow ..tuff"

Crossbows are no great advantage over a regular bow, the range is generally shorter, they are louder. Deer can still wind you etc. The same skills it takes you to get a deer into range are the same ones a crossbow hunter will need.

Safetyfor kids?? that depends on the kid as in any case. If you feel your kid is ready to hunt with a bow, rifle, shot gun then he's ready for a crossbow. They will all kill in a heartbeat. What's the difference.

There is no legitimate reason that a crossbow should not be used. Generally speaking if a person doesn't hunt it's because they don't like to hunt, its not because they haven't legalized crossbows.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Spatrat

To the person who said if you can't draw back a regular bow ..tuff; You walk a mile in my shoes having only the use of one side. It takes those of us with disabilities more B***s to get out of bed, get dressed and fight our way to our blinds than I imagine you will ever have. If the use of a crossbow allows mwe or anyone else the ability to get out and enjoy a sport we love , who in the Hell are you to tell me that "if you can't pull back a regular bow ..tuff"

Crossbows are no great advantage over a regular bow, the range is generally shorter, they are louder. Deer can still wind you etc. The same skills it takes you to get a deer into range are the same ones a crossbow hunter will need.

Safetyfor kids?? that depends on the kid as in any case. If you feel your kid is ready to hunt with a bow, rifle, shot gun then he's ready for a crossbow. They will all kill in a heartbeat. What's the difference.

There is no legitimate reason that a crossbow should not be used. Generally speaking if a person doesn't hunt it's because they don't like to hunt, its not because they haven't legalized crossbows.
they are already legal in illinois for people with a disability so that isn't an issue as for my talking about safety i wasn't talking about the safety of other hunters i was talking about the safety of a child who is too weak draw a traditional bow.in a treestand with a crossbow seems to me they would be a danger to themselves.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:48 PM

Duramax, I apologize, I took your post incorrectly. I just get sick and tired of people implying that if you hunt with a crossbow you are , for some reason, not a real hunter. And I would challenge any of them to go through what I have, because I believe most would have crawled in bed and never come out.

As far as the safety of a kid; It depends on the kid. A 150lb crossbow is hard to cock, no doubt but if he/she is able to cock it on the ground they should also be able to do so on a tree stand assuming it has an ample sized base. You put your boot in the stirrup and use equal force on both sides, for most people with normal balance this should not be a problem. Whether they legalize them or not, Parents should make the ultimate decision whether or not their kid is ready. Practice it on something at ground level with the same size base.

Duramax, Again, I apologize for going off like that.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Well we have alot more problems then the crossbows being implemented. Take a look at this:

Heres the bills that are being introduced at this time.

HB1074
Amends the Fish and Aquatic Life Code and the Wildlife Code. Defines "resident" to require permanent abode in this State rather than actual residency. Requires domiciliary intent. Amends the Wildlife Code. Authorizes open deer season to be set between September 1 and February 15 (now no more than 14 days between November 1 and December 31). Provides that legal handguns need not be centerfire. Increases deer hunting fees. Authorizes DNR to set fees for processing and handling of applications and provides for the deposit and use of receipts. Amends the State Finance Act to create a special fund. Makes other changes. Effective immediately.

HB1161 Amends the Wildlife Code. Provides that there shall not be a limit on the number of resident or non-resident archery deer hunting permits. Effective immediately.

SB0138 Amends the Wildlife Code. Permits deer hunters under age 18 to use crossbows during archery season (now, used only by handicapped persons).

Ok, set the open season to Sept to Feb?. If this passes this means they can have GUN season anywhere between Sept. 2st and Feb 15th.

If all this passes your going to see Illinois Deer hunting go down hill in a big hurry. They want to make money as fast as they can for the state and ALL of us NR and R will suffer. Deer pressure will take a whole new meaning...........
Old 02-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow.....thats a big mistake on the states part. for one we are going to have a mess of hunters from anywhere and everywhere if they dont limit tags. man....illinois deer population might be next to nothing if this goes into effect.[:@]
Old 02-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

The problem is any State Rep can ask for anything they want to get voted on. The state doesnt give a rats a** right now about anything but MONEY. The DNR isnt the ones asking for this our state reps are so they can CASH out on the deer herd to help with the states money problems.

Im calling the state rep thats asking for this crap.............
Old 02-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Spatrat don't give it another thought i believe anything that can be done to help people with disabilities hunt.should be done.i love bowhunting in illinois and just don't want to see this state get like my home state where the insurance co.s have put so much pressure on lawmakers to get rid of the deer herd that they keep uping the quota til there wiped out.i don't however believe a quota on NR bowhunters has any effect on the herd.but there definately needs to be quotas on any gunhunting this is where your deer are killed.the problem with the way they've been selling NR license over the phone is PETA and other antihunting groups tie up the lines and buy license thinking they are saving deer.CRAZY. they are also putting in for lotterys in IOWA AND KANSAS.NR bowhunters don't put a dent in the population.i hope they don't change the gun seasons at all.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Spatrat.......in many more than one post I have spoke for my belief in that people with disabilities should be able to use a crossbow.

I sure hate to see a deer season between Sept. 1st to Feb. 15th, with possible longer firearms seasons. Guys........this is Farm Bureau and insurance companies putting pressure on. As far as doing away with caps on non-residents, big mistake. Its going to increase leased land and the number of outfitters will double.

Quick Reply: Illinois - Crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.