HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Wolves in Illinois? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/88907-wolves-illinois.html)

Dairy King 02-01-2005 08:45 PM

Wolves in Illinois?

Are there wolves in Illinois? My dad swears up and down he seen a wolf in the field across from our house. He said it was alot bigger than a coyote and it looks somewhat like a German Shepherd and it was kinda grey. I didnt think Illinois had wolves, but he says he seen one.

bwhunter501 02-01-2005 08:51 PM

RE: Wolves in Illinois?

You know i was bowhunting last year and i was hunting next to a field, and i saw at first what i though was a yote. But then i realized its way to big to be a yote and it was white black and gray all mixed. i couldnt swore it was a wolf but no one believes me:eek: lol but o well. although we do have a few coydogs around here, for those of you that dont know what those are they are a cross between a dog and a yote. and those things can get mean.

bob d 02-01-2005 09:01 PM

there was one killed in 2003 in central illinios

bwhunter501 02-01-2005 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: bob d

there was one killed in 2003 in central illinios
Really?!?! i was hunting central illinois when i saw what i thought was a wolf....maybe it was afterall

Dairy King 02-01-2005 09:33 PM

My friends got a coydog. Its acually pretty nice. The first time I met it, I just walked up to it, and started petting it. And hes like "thats part yote" Naturally I jumped back and took a good look at it. Its was very nice.

titleist_03 02-01-2005 11:41 PM

I heard about being killed in Champaign county a few years back. Some guys were coyote hunting and mistaked it for a yote. No citations were issued and the wolf was taken in for test to find out what it had been eating and to see if that gave any clues as to where it came from. I never heard anything else about it after that.

duramaxlt 02-02-2005 06:59 PM

i was hunting in schuyler co. the first week of november this year.there was what sounded like a wolf howling with the yotes one night right after dark.sounded just like the wolves i've heard in canada.but everyone said i was crazy.

Shootem up870 02-02-2005 07:06 PM

i have never seen one but i heard they were going to release them in IL. i would just like to know where they are letting them out of the trucks and i would be happy to practice my shooting skills.

GSPsnFORDs 02-02-2005 08:16 PM

About 6 years ago I was bird hunting a brushy creek, my dad was on one side and I was on the other. The dog kicked up what we thought was a yote but they never saw luckily b/c he would have chased it. Anyways. It came out of the creek about 20 yds in front of my dad, stopped for a few seconds and looked at him and then trotted off. But this couldn't have been a yote b/c it was a little reddish and was the size of a German Shepard!! A few weeks later we heard a rumor that 2 pairs of red wolves were released in that general area so we think it might have been one of these "so-called" wolves. Who knows though?

bwhunter501 02-02-2005 08:54 PM

hey duramaxlt around where do you hunt in schyuler co. i hunt near camden.