Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 WI DNR finally being held accountable >

WI DNR finally being held accountable

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

WI DNR finally being held accountable

Old 01-26-2005, 08:53 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default WI DNR finally being held accountable

After the past deer season, the DNR is finally getting called to the carpet with regard to its deer management policies.

Program under fire
Deer management concerns are rising
By TIM EISELE
Special to the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Jan. 15, 2005
Stevens Point - The Wisconsin Conservation Congress’ Executive Council has made changing the Department of Natural Resources’ deer management program a major target.

Advertisement

At its meeting here earlier this month, the council, which provides advice to the DNR and Natural Resources Board, voted to do whatever is necessary to change deer season regulations, including eliminating October Zone T hunting and Earn-a-Buck requirements, and increasing bear quotas.

“The entire program is pathetic, and it is time for some changes before [deer hunting] is ruined,” said Congress Chairman Steve Oestreicher. “We will take other routes to change the seasons if we have to. We do the best job we can to represent outdoorsmen on these issues, and we heard loud and clear the past two years that bear hunters and deer hunters are not happy.”

Council passes resolutions
The council unanimously passed two resolutions expressing the Congress’ unhappiness with Zone T antlerless-only hunts and Earn-a-Buck, where hunters are required to shoot an antlerless deer before they can shoot a buck, and authorizing the Executive Committee to use whatever means possible to terminate those seasons.

One resolution directs Oestreicher to request that the Natural Resources Board change the way Zone T and Earn-a-Buck seasons are implemented. Currently the seasons automatically go into effect, on order from the DNR secretary, once specific criteria are met. The Congress wants the seasons to require approval by the Natural Resources Board, as had been the case during the 1990s. Council members believe this change would provide more objective oversight and public participation in DNR decisions.

Oestreicher said he had received phone calls from 65 deer hunters since the end of the season and none had anything good to say about it. He expressed disappointment with a drop in the buck kill in 48 counties, saying there are fewer deer than the DNR estimates.

The Executive Council questioned why the DNR put emphasis on shooting antlerless deer when early research indicates chronic wasting disease is often associated with older bucks.

Tom Hauge, DNR director of Wildlife Management, agreed infection rates in bucks were running twice what they are in does, but early in the program biologists believed they made more headway reducing the disease by killing does.

At some point they may have to reconsider.

“Whenever we decide to push the ‘go’ button on killing bucks, they’ll be gone in an instant - one year can clean up the surplus bucks,” Hauge said. “But it’s always harder to control the antlerless deer side, which is why Earn-a-Buck has been stressed.”

More public opinion sought
The Council added a question to the spring hearings questionnaire, asking if the public supports a 9-day general deer season starting the Saturday before Thanksgiving, with no October gun hunting but a statewide antlerless 4-day December gun hunt.

“I don’t think any of us want to return to the deer wars of earlier years, but we encounter negative responses from the public on a daily basis and I don’t know where else to turn,” Joe Caputo, council member from Dane County, said.

Hauge said he was anxious to see how the public will vote on the advisory question, but that discussions need to include the entire herd control question.

“We have the responsibility to manage the deer herd at population goals,” Hauge said.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:48 AM
Banned

Default RE: WI DNR finally being held accountable

About time but I sure hope not to late. This past December during Archery season
down here near Kenosha they had marksman go out and kill deer to be tested.
I was not happy one bit this occured during deer season and who knows how many
they shot. The things the really got me were they were allowed to bait and shoot at
night yet they dont want us to bait down here. Ive never baited yet but have given
it some thought due hearing how many others in the area due to keep deer on there
property when it was legal.

Peak

Live and Learn
Old 01-27-2005, 04:54 PM

Lets hope there is some long term teeth to this thing and not just sabre rattling.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:48 PM

i dont mind the EAB, but that first Tzone plainly ticks me off. that is PRIME bowhunting time.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:32 PM

I Saw In Wausau Paper..They Were Considering, 16 Day Gun Season (Season Would Start On Nov 15 No Matter What Day) And Also Making Crossbows Legal For All.
Now If That Happens Is A Diff Thing.

What I Dont Like...Is They Charge Us Up The @ss With Raising Prices. But You Need Them There Of No Assitance..Or You Have A Tip..They Dont Call Back Or Care.

They Dont Listen To The Hunters....Many Hunters Have Great Ideas.
Dildo Doyle Is No Help Eather
Old 01-28-2005, 12:04 PM

Th15, What is your beef with legalizing Crossbows for all? I hunt with one because I physically can not pull back a regular bow due to stroke type after effects. However, given a choice between a regular bow or crossbow, Regular bow would win hands down.

Crossbows are fun to shoot, but have no significant advantage over a regular bow. They are much louder, they are not as fast and as a result the effective range is less than a regular bow. The only advantage is the ability to cock them and leave it. Of course I am speaking in general terms.

I believe in Ohio CBs are legal for all and they have not experienced a significant in harvest number. They are an effective and humane tool to add to your hunting arsonal.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Check out this link about Wisconsins dumba$$ DNR They really get slammed by a few guys.

http://bloodbro.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=35
Old 01-28-2005, 11:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Spatrat

Th15, What is your beef with legalizing Crossbows for all?
Wtf?
Never Said There Was "Beef" I Just Said That The WDNR Is Considering Makeing Them Legal To All.

They Were Considering, 16 Day Gun Season (Season Would Start On Nov 15 No Matter What Day) And Also Making Crossbows Legal For All.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

I do have a problem with the able-bodied using crossbows. In Ohio, the crossbow kill has surpassed the hand-bow kill, and it's numbers continue to increase each season.

The only thing a crossbow is for, is ruining your deer season.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Well Said!

I have no problem with crossbows for those that need them, but for ALL, no way. As a Safety Instructor, we would have to revamp the class to include crossbow and as stated, crossbow for all is ending regular bow hunting in Ohio.

Quick Reply: WI DNR finally being held accountable

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.