Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 minn bear hunting? >

minn bear hunting?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

minn bear hunting?

Old 01-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default minn bear hunting?

are there alot of bear hunters in mn? how hard is it to find a place to go or get permission? where would be the best area to go for a new bear hunter? which method should be used?
Old 01-03-2005, 04:50 PM

Default RE: minn bear hunting?

I'm not sure exactly how many bear hunters are up in the area where I have a cabin, but there seems to be quite a few bears up there. In fact, I had a bear rip one of my cameras off the same tree two years in a row. Up in northeast MN there is a lot of federal land so there is plenty of land to hunt. Everybody I know who hunts for bears up there uses bait.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

IBS
This site might help you out.

www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/bear/index.html

Old 01-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless something has changed, you have to apply for a hunt area & be drawn. Not sure when deadline for drawing is. I Bowhunted Bears many years ago in the Boundry (N.E) Waters area. Lots of bears & Public access. DNR should have all the info you need.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:48 AM
Fork Horn

they do have a drawing but the left over tags are sold first come first serve. baiting is not a good option for me, what else could i do?
Old 01-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find a outfitter or find someone to bait for you. Thats the only way you give yourself a good chance in Minnesota. To get my bear I baited every other day for 2 weeks. That was a 2 hour drive up, put the bait out and a 2 hour drive back at the end of the day it was a 7 hour deal. Gas alone cost more than a outfitter. But now I can say I worked for my own bear and it was great. Now I am looking to find someone to either bait for me or find a outfitter that will just let me sit one of their baitsites. I dont want a full service deal.

I got mine on public land so it can be done.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:14 PM

Tribal I sent you a PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:26 PM

Tribal,

Did you hunt with a rifle or bow? I'm kinda looking into the same deal as you. I have a friend who's family goes up and baits every year and it sure sounds like a lot of work. He is lucky in that his Dad is a manager at a grocery store but you still have to put on the miles hauling it up. What part of the state did you hunt?
Old 01-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

not sure how it affects non residents, but up in my area, we have a no quota zone on bears. No need to put in for drawing a tag, you can purchase over counter. Seems to be more bears than hunters. You'd have to look on the map for the zone, but it generally runs from about 20 miles west of Bemidji, to past Thief River Falls. Many 1000's acreas of public hunting also, so finding an area shouldn't be a problem. Taz
Old 01-26-2005, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Taz is right but about the only way to asure some sort of success is by baiting. I dont know of many poeple that just go out and sit and have luck. You will have to find someone to bait for ya or call a local sport shop to steer ya in the right direction

Quick Reply: minn bear hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.