Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Is the Banned affecting your Big Game Hunt ? >

Is the Banned affecting your Big Game Hunt ?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Is the Banned affecting your Big Game Hunt ?

Old 08-29-2002, 10:52 PM

Default Is the Banned affecting your Big Game Hunt ?

This is more for those of us that our states have banned bring back out of state game.Unless it's been deboned and brain matter removed completely and fleshed.

I had planned on bringing back my animal(if successful)to be mounted.But the way i read it.All meat must be deboned.And the brain matter must be removed and all flesh removed from the skull.
Which leaves the Question.Do you cape it and clean it yourself.Or pay and out of state Taxidermist to do your mount.And then pay the fee's to ship it to your home $$$.

Just wondering what you guy's plan on having to do.

It's not how big the Deer,But the size of the experiance that matters!!
Old 08-30-2002, 08:01 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is the Banned affecting your Big Game Hunt ?

If I tried to cape out a deer it'd cost me twice as much in the end. I'd trash it and have to buy a new one. As luck would have it though, my father lives where I hunt in WI. If I should happen to take a buck big enough that I'd want to have it mounted, I can just have it done up there and then go back to pick it up later.

JRW
Old 08-30-2002, 04:42 PM

Thats not to bad of a deal JRW.I check into having the game tested for CWD before i leave the state in which im hunting.They will do it for under $20.00.But i havent heard back from IDNR,as far as bring the animal back if it certified ok.So i dont have to cape it myself.
Talked to a sheriffs deputy,from realtree,from IL.And he say's he seriously doubts that they will allow it.Got my fingers crossed though.

Old 08-30-2002, 07:04 PM

carpetguy,

Where would you be able to get the testing done for about $20?
There has been a clamor here for independent testing labs but the USDA has control over these and they have refused to let them to exist.
The only place for testing is nationally accredited labs, which are increasing from 6 to 13 I believe. One of which will be in Madison and will be able to more quickly turn around test results than sending them to Iowa as the WDNR has had to do.
I do not know anything about other states new laws or regs regarding transports back into. I simply haven't paid any attention since it really won't affect me.

Tim
Old 08-30-2002, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

If i get a animal in MT, i plan on having a taxidermist there cape it out.

Last time i got a Elk i had it mounted in Utah and shipped here. Im not paying them shipping charges again........

I will bring back the meat de-boned, then have my guy mount the animal here.

Old 08-31-2002, 09:29 PM

WI hunter-North Dakota,They told me 17.50 for the test.And also talked to another hunter who is going to CO.There tests are about the same rate.

That is an idea Don K,I'll have to call my outfitter and get ahold of a taxidermist there.To set it up ahead of time.Still waiting to hear from IDNR though.
Also was told i might have a hard time finding a meat processor that will do out of state game.The guy im going on the hunt with is a supervisor of a butcher shop.So he's going to cut the steaks,roasts.Need someone to do the grinding and sausage and smoked product.

Old 09-01-2002, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Carpetguy,

Good luck on your hunt. Im leaving the 11th and headed to MT. Will be hunting with a couple guys from this site.

I would talk to your taxidermist here to see if theres anything he wants done special when you get it caped out there. Also, with a outfitter im sure they will have some contacts for your butchering. Just have them de-bone the meat and youll be fine.

Old 09-01-2002, 10:30 AM

Well best of luck to you buddy,We are heading to Colorado yote hunting first for a couple days.My hunting buddies processing plant bought a hog confinement there.And a friend owns 100,000 acres.Prarie dogs and yotes.Then up to N.Dakota for Elk.Next year hoping to do some Muley's and pronhorn in Co.

Where in MT are you headed?Anywhere near Glasgow or Darby?

Edited by - carpetguy on 09/01/2002 12:39:39
Old 09-01-2002, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

I will be about 50 miles SE of Darby.

Have you hunted Elk in N Dakota before? Sounds like you will have a great time.

Old 09-01-2002, 02:42 PM

No Don i have'nt.Matter of fact,this is my first Elk hunt.And i am pumped.I have bowhunting buddies that go to Darby Elk hunting though thats why i had asked.

I would rather be hunting the Bitterroots.Thats would 1 better this hunt im going on!!Regardless it's going to be an experiance i've long awaited.It's been a long summer not trying to think about it if you know what i mean,LOL.....Are you bowhunting Elk or rifle hunting?I bought a Rem. 700 ML.I plan on taking it out west on more big game.I still have Mule Deer,Pronhorn,Moose,Bear on my out of state list.Hope to reach my goal within the next 5 yrs.

Quick Reply: Is the Banned affecting your Big Game Hunt ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.