HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Using a deer call in WI gun season (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/79211-using-deer-call-wi-gun-season.html)

semi 11-15-2004 12:04 PM

Using a deer call in WI gun season

this is something i have never done. I was talking to some one the other day who hunts in Wisconsin as well and they said they use their grunt tube during the gun season.. Anyone else do this? i have used one during bow season but never gun. Help me out here....

DeerSlayer83 11-15-2004 08:12 PM

RE: Using a deer call in WI gun season

I have never used one during gun season...the Rut is basically almost over by then...The rut peaks like around the 11 or 12th..im sure not those exact days, but in that area..So by the time the 20th rolls around, The rut is dieing down, but hey it could work, you never know if the rut is going longer then expected...I know its in full swing right now...Saw some bucks fighting tonite and another chsing a doe...Good Luck to ya this weekend

paulywog 11-15-2004 09:07 PM

The rut doesn't end completely for quite some time, it continues as late as late December or January. The does that don't get breed during the first "rut" come back into estress later in the season, the rest of the breading sessions are not as intense but bucks are always looking for that last hot doe. I take the grunt tube out because if I see that buck out of range, a grunt may be all that's needed to bring him in. I also take a ratteling bag, I'll throw anything out because you never know what may work to bring him in. Another great reason to have a grunt tube with you is if you have a deer coming in that seems a little spooked, a doe grunt may reasure it that it's safe. When hunting I'd keep my bag of tricks open, you never know what may work. Good luck everyone!

colt44 11-16-2004 08:03 AM

I agree with paulywog
I use a grunt tube and doe bleat. I do not use them unless I see a deer moving out of the area. The grunt is also what I use to stop a moving deer for a better shot.

Carry a couple calls and use them very sparingly during gun season.

KONK 11-16-2004 08:48 AM

I've had luck in past seasons in Wisconsin using a doe esterus call to bring bucks in. Even some that I did not see untill after calling. Bucks are still looking to breed right up untill they loose their antlers. Hell wouldn't you if you had that small of a window to have sex!!!!!!!!!!!

CollinJohn 10-25-2013 12:33 PM

I had the same question as Semi. I also hunt in Wisconsin. Seeing is the majority of the rut happens during bow season you would assume that using a call would attract them. My thought would be that if you use a call during gun season that you should get some result. Seeing as any deer that hasnt found a mate might bite on the smalles hint of a potential mate. Then again I am not for certain, I think I might use a call this year during gun season.

Murdy 10-26-2013 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by colt44 (Post 802670)
The grunt is also what I use to stop a moving deer for a better shot.

Carry a couple calls and use them very sparingly during gun season.

I agree completely and for this reason, I never hunt without one, even late seasons. (I know it's a Wisconsin question, but I'm just over the border and our gun season starts about the same time as yours)

Zim 10-26-2013 05:08 PM

I have had great luck with my HS TruTalker grunting bucks in at any time of year, even on the heavily used public land I hunt. I don't think it ever negatively affected a buck that I observed. I do not rattle though.

I think my TruTalker brought in the last 3 bucks on a string. Two were mature bucks.

dejager 10-28-2013 05:59 AM

I called in my first buck I shot 5 years ago with a grunt tube during the WI gun season. It is one of the few things I don't go out to the woods without. It all just depends on how late the rut starts and how early gun season is. last year I was able to call in 3 different small bucks. But when it comes to mature deer it has not worked. I have been able to call in several decent 2.5 eight point.