Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Jefferson Proving Grounds >

Jefferson Proving Grounds

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Jefferson Proving Grounds

Old 10-12-2004, 04:19 PM

Default Jefferson Proving Grounds

Anybody ever hunt the Jefferson Proving Grounds before?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:10 AM

Default RE: Jefferson Proving Grounds

No. My wife went to school at Hanover, and she told me that they allowed hunting in the past, but she is not sure that they still do. Your best bet is to contact the Indiana DNR and see what they say.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:40 AM

Im a current student at Hanover College. They allow hunting there i was just wondering if anybody has hunt there to give me some tips.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:41 PM

Well i hunted there last year, and passed on a 6 pointer early and now i wish i'ed taken him? I hunted area 32 and went in with a climber and stayed all day, you have alot of hunters that seem too keep the deer moving, take some munchie and water and stay put, I still think you have to attened a hunter safty course ( not a problem watch a film), try and do it day before you hunt. also you must bee out of your area before 6pm, Was runing late one night and the gaurd gets alittle upset. Plan on seeing alot of deer from the highway as you drive buy the evening before, it will get you so FIRED up. Or you going during Bow or Gun. Good luck either way.

Dave22
Old 10-13-2004, 08:19 PM

Im gonna go bow this weekend and gun when it opens. Dave, did you go bow or gun when you went? Is the 6 pointer the only deer you saw? Did you get drawn to hunt befroe or did you go the day of and go for the no show drawing?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:09 PM

bobby5 ive hunted BONWR i went to spot 36 the last day they where opened. saw alot of good signs esp.one big pile of droppings next to a tree. Dident see many deer but did see alot of bald eagles. i recomend going even if you dont see any deer the caravan on the way out is well worht the trip alone
Old 10-14-2004, 10:46 PM

Bobby5 let me know how it goes. do you have to sign up in advance or just show up?
Old 10-15-2004, 09:20 AM

derby party

Im hunting with bobby5 at the proving grounds. you can get in 2 ways. one, you sign up in advanced, you can send in your application out of the 2004/2005 indiana hunting guide. or you can go to the no show drawing. this is for people that dident show up they have a drawing to see who can go in their place, got to be there at 4 am though the day of the hunt...ill let ya know how we did
Old 10-15-2004, 10:18 AM

Id recommend anybody that lives anywere close to Madison to go to Big oaks this weekend. I drove by the fences this week and saw 10 plus 6 point or above bucks just feeding right next to the fence. Hey Derbyparty were do you live?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:43 AM

Hey guys,
Stumbled on this place while anxiously awaiting Saturday opening gun season! I'm in Clark Co. Indiana about 1/2 hour south of Madison on SR 62.
I have been past the proving grounds many times on the way up to picnic at Versalles SP. I always look forward to the trip home and counting deer (and a lot of times turkey) along that forever running fenceline. I figured there had to be some huge deer in there but never knew if open hunting was allowed. My property is almost directly across from the Charlestown State Park and I know sometimes they have special hunts there but it requires a draw from an application.
My deer woods shows some nice sign with a few scraps and a few more rubs in the typical thick staging areas that usually occur this time of year. Not a lot of deer sightings yet, but hopefully with the cooler weather coming we'll all do well this weekend!
Good luck guys!

Quick Reply: Jefferson Proving Grounds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.