Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Any Early Season Luck in WI??? >

Any Early Season Luck in WI???

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Any Early Season Luck in WI???

Old 09-22-2004, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any Early Season Luck in WI???

ORIGINAL: Ansel

South West WI, Very warm and winds out of the S, S.E. - Hunted Sat. Sun and Mon. - Saw deer every sit on Sat and Sunday. Numerous does and three different bucks around 8 pointers. No shots taken, would have had to been a pretty decent buck to shoot - way to wam. Saw a couple of dozen rubbs and a few scrapes being scratched.
Whereabouts in SW Wisconsin are you hunting? I'm about 5 miles South of Lancaster. Just outside the CWD zone.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

I got invited up to Buffalo County to hunt for the first time. It is earn a buck up there. Saw plenty of deer....Mostly nice BUCKS !!!!

Almost, but no ethical shot on a doe Saturday night. Very warm in stand, but always better than being at work.

-Mathewsconquest2
Old 09-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Had my chance Saturday evening. Over estimated the distance, and shot right over the top of the back. Sitting in ground blind, no other trees or cover.

I spent 5 hrs. Sunday looking for the arrow. Even got a metal detector, no luck.

I will be out again on Sunday, supposed to be cooler. If I can get her down, I'll let ya know, I'm also in an earn-a-buck.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Went out Saturday afternoon with 3 other guys, and our sons, unit 69. The boys were not bowhunting yet. Camped out over night in Tents, had a great time. I only saw one doe out of range. The other three guys shot 5 does. Going back up there first week of November for the rut.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

1sagittarius ,
I live and primarily hunt in unit 69. Where abouts do you hunt?

-Mathewsconquest2
Old 09-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Was out last night. Couldn't get the does to come in close enough, had a fork buck though. 20 yrd and quartering away. I would have taken him (first deer with bow), but got to get that doe first with this EAB. Will try again tonight I hope, maybe I'll have a better story tommorow.

Until then, BE SAFE!
Old 09-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Whereabouts in SW Wisconsin are you hunting? I'm about 5 miles South of Lancaster. Just outside the CWD zone.
HNIJUSTIN - I hunt in Vernon Co. I think I'm spelling it correct, it's right by Westby (sp?).
I'm from Michigan's Upper Peninsula so I a bit new to the towns and spellings.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:02 AM

Hunted Sunday the 26th, early AM had a Spike (3PT??) come up behind me. He came from directly behind a pine tree, so I did not see him until he was 10yards away. We had a staredown for about 5 minutes, then he moved off to my right. I started to get my bow ready for the shot, but he came around the tree too quick and caught my movement. Since I have never harvested with my bow, I would have shot him. Oh well, it is still good to see deer. Saw a doe and a fawn about 1 hour later, but they stayed about 50 yards away. Overall it was a great day..
Old 09-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

This past Wed. evening had a few deer out in the field @ 200+ yards. On Thurs. had a Doe and a yearling @ 42 yards. I got the shakes and ready to go, they were coming right to my soft grunts! I got busted and they split. Also had a nice buck across the field. Don't know how big but I could see his polished white rack from one end of the field to the other! Nice one. Monday night I had deer snorting everywhere around me. They came into the field Just out of range @ 36 yards! I didn't feel good about the shot so I waited. I had 9 different deer come dowm the same trail but forked off just out of range. It was a great hunt, started off warm, kinda sucked hanging a stand!
Old 09-29-2004, 11:49 AM

Shot a doe last friday evening, 12 yd shot and a very short recovery. Could have shot a doe last night to earn my gun buck tag, but as she was coming in I realized I hadn't yet purchased my gun license yet, so needless to say I had to let her walk. Also, seen a couple bucks but nothing real big to get the heart pumping. They moved early last night, about 6:00 the deer started to move into the turnip/pea field.

Quick Reply: Any Early Season Luck in WI???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.