Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Any Early Season Luck in WI??? >

Any Early Season Luck in WI???

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Any Early Season Luck in WI???

Old 09-20-2004, 10:21 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default Any Early Season Luck in WI???

Anyone get anything??

I hunt in an Earn a Buck zone and managed to hit a doe on Sunday of opening weekend. Moved just as I released. Hit it, saw it run 60 yards and go down in some tall CRP. Waited 15 minutes, saw no movement, and went to get it. Walked up with bow at the ready and looked to find it. She was there...jumped up and ran!!! Arrow was there, covered with dark red blood. Heard a sort of sucking or slurping sound coming from deer as it ran.

Waited until morning to look for it. Found blood...but no deer!!! Of course, with all of the foliage and CRP grass, I might have walked five feet from it and not seen it.

So a doe is dead, but I have to get another one to be "legal" for a bow buck.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Any Early Season Luck in WI???

Thats it? Found blood but no deer? I hoped you looked for the deer herder than that!!... Good luck finding it!
Old 09-21-2004, 06:55 AM
TJD
Fork Horn

Looked for about half a day. The blood trail wasn't real clear...small drop here and there...then it couldn't be found after trail led into woods.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Should have left her a little longer than 15 minutes.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:45 AM

She's got to be there somewhere. Too bad you couldn't seal the deal. Hope you have better luck next time..
Old 09-21-2004, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

No luck this weekend for me. Saw a couple does on Sat morning about 80 yards behind my stand, and that was it for the weekend. My partner saw a total of 7 does and 6 bucks this weekend, none of the bucks big enough to shoot, and none of the does close enough to shoot. We're huting a new piece of land for the first time though, so we're still trying to get a feel for what the deer movement is going to be like.

Set up my CamTrakker this weekend so hopefully I get some photos to help do a little scouting for me.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:18 PM

I did see a deer on Sunday AM. It was dark and very windy. Walking in CRP to my stand. All of a sudden a deer jumped, snorted and ran away. All I saw and heard was a big deer. Not sure if it was a buck or doe. Didn't see anything else that day, but it was extremely windy.. Hoping for more this weekend..
Old 09-21-2004, 05:24 PM

opening day i missed a doe since i too am in an earn a buck unit (62b). then last night i redeemed myself and zipped a healty yearling. 125 yds and she was done. i double lunged her. i was surprised she even went that far. o well now i can get my buck
Old 09-21-2004, 11:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well done Beagle!!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2004, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

South West WI, Very warm and winds out of the S, S.E. - Hunted Sat. Sun and Mon. - Saw deer every sit on Sat and Sunday. Numerous does and three different bucks around 8 pointers. No shots taken, would have had to been a pretty decent buck to shoot - way to wam. Saw a couple of dozen rubbs and a few scrapes being scratched.

Would have to agree, 15 minutes is way quick unless you actually see the deer drop.

Quick Reply: Any Early Season Luck in WI???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.