Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Kansas Sept ML Hunt Questions! >

Kansas Sept ML Hunt Questions!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Kansas Sept ML Hunt Questions!

Old 08-13-2004, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Kansas Sept ML Hunt Questions!

I'm headed out to our family farm in NC Kansas for the September ML hunt this year and am very excited but have a couple questions.

Will the bucks still be in their summer travel patterns?
Is there a chance to catch a buck still in velvet or will they have rubbed it all off by then?
What kind of temperatures should I expect during the day? I haven't been to Kansas in September in quite a while, but as I recall it can be pretty darn hot, but it's been a pretty cool summer so far.

Thanks for the info!

clattin

Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk!
Old 08-13-2004, 11:05 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kansas Sept ML Hunt Questions!

clattin,

You bet they will be on their summer feeding pattterns. That is the big advantage of the Sept. season. Many big bucks are taken then, but not many hunt it. Velvet will be off by then. A few might still have it. My buddies went to Kansas the last couple years and found the biggest problem was the thick woodlands obstructing shots. You should try to find some spots overlooking feeding areas. Probably soybeans would be best for evenings. Heat can stiffle things. Often shooting time is short due to small window of activity at dusk. If you can find a funnel between feeding and bedding areas that is where I'd be in the mornings.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Zim on everything accept the "soybean" part of his post. Reason being, when the leaves on the soybeans begin to turn yellow, the deer tend to stop eating them, until after they are harvested!
Old 08-16-2004, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

That's alright about the beans...doesn't matter anyway. We don't have any beans around, not too many people raise beans out there. But we do have two alfalfa fields that should be a great place to hunt around!

clattin