HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Ohio fall season? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/66836-ohio-fall-season.html)

TURKEY FAN 07-22-2004 09:35 AM

Ohio fall season?

I dont know if anyone else noticed, but it hasnt been as hot in ohio, in fact it has been kinda cool. I think we might have an early rut this year, like end of october beginning of november time frame, what do u buckeys think?

DearSlayer357 07-22-2004 09:59 AM

RE: Ohio fall season?

I think you might be right.

J Pike 07-22-2004 10:00 AM

Turkey fan, yes it has been cooler, but temp. isnt what triggers the rut, its the amount of light in the day. Pike

TURKEY FAN 07-22-2004 12:56 PM

The light in the day does play a part of it, however if you have spent any amount of time in the woods you know the colder it is the more the bucks love it. Also Barometic pressure up or down triggers movement of deer. I have never hunted a rut that has been warm.:eek:

dough boy 07-22-2004 01:42 PM

In my experience, the rut is always (give or take a couple of days) the same time each year. In my opinion, what effects the rut is the temprature. The bucks will be on the prowl less in the day time if it is hot outside. If temps are normal or slightly below normal, thren the rutting activity should be good. Barometric pressure, daylight hours and other factors do play into rutting activity. I however believe temps will effect movement more than anything. Remember, the deer are rutting....but you may not see alot of deer because it is too hot.

J Pike 07-22-2004 05:11 PM

TF said

The light in the day does play a part of it, however if you have spent any amount of time in the woods you know the colder it is the more the bucks love it. Also Barometic pressure up or down triggers movement of deer. I have never hunted a rut that has been warm.
the doe's will come into heat within a couple of days each every year, It doesnt matter if the temp is 30 degrees or 90, theywill still come into estrous with in a few days, there for weather and the barometer cannot cause an early rut. yes colder temps does permit bucks to travel farther and for a longer period of time but just because your not seeing rutting activity during daylight doesnt mean that the rut isnt in full swing,(if you guys were permitted to spot light at night during the rut you would be able to see for yourself) also the amount of light in the day also causes the bucks bodies to start producing testostrone and which causes their necks to swell, it has nothing to do with weather etc. For example, where we hunt in SE. Ohio our best days for big buck activity seems to be Nov, 2nd thru the 6th, 2 years ago our best day for shooter bucks was on Nov. 2nd, bitter cold temp and 25 MPH winds, last season our best day was Nov. 3rd with 80 degree temps. Pike

Pro-Line 07-24-2004 09:36 PM

The "rut" is triggered by daylight, as Pike said. You can see this annually when you have pen deer. It is a fact.

The cooler weather does knock down the bugs a little, making the deer move more. Nothing wrong with that!

IrishLad32 08-02-2004 08:01 PM

I just want to know what part of Ohio you're living in if you think it's been cooler this year. Where I'm at the greater part of the summer has been upper 80s and 90s with HIGH humidity. Just last Friday it was so humid the moisture in the air was so thick it looked like it was raining!

J Pike 08-04-2004 11:14 AM

Turkey Fan, here is a link to a post I made on this forum last Nov. Pike,
[link]http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=416110&mpage=1&key=񥹒[/link]

5 of my friends arrived in SE. OH, yesterday and while scouting found rubs and scrapes everywhere. I got a phone call at 7:50 am. this morning from one of them telling me how he just rattled in a big 8-pt and was waiting for the others to go look for it. He called me back around noon and told me that they recovered the deer after a 100 yard track, and that everyone else had seen bucks this morning and a few of them were called in as well, including a huge 10-pt. Well tonight they called me again and told me that my buddy that seen the huge 10 -pt just arrowed different huge 10-pt this one has split G-2' s. I shot my buck out there last year on Nov-2nd and it seemed things were just getting started and we had very cold temps this year its 80 degree' s and things are busting loose on the 3rd. Dont worry about the heat guys, just as many doe' s will come into esterous tonight at 65 degree' s as they would when it is 32 degree' s. Good Luck, Pike

< Message edited by J Pike -- 11/4/2003 12:24:55 AM >

TURKEY FAN 08-04-2004 01:16 PM

Well this may be a difference in opinion, but i hunt in brown county on st rt. 52, and when its warm......deer dont seem to move. In some cases i am sure they do, but i also understand that when its cold, big bucks love it, that is my experience.;)