Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 public view of non resident deer hunters >

public view of non resident deer hunters

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

public view of non resident deer hunters

Old 07-30-2004, 02:52 PM

Default RE: public view of non resident deer hunters

I agree . I rather see local landowners, than out of state owners that outfit use our hunting grounds,but the bad ones are the ones that give us all that outfit a bad repp and get the local hunters mad at all outfitters. There the ones that need thinned out in my opinion.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

i only dont like a few non-residents where i hunt. one is some guys from cuba used to come and they would poach all the time and we would drive by and see these monster bucks hanging up and one time we drove by at 10:30 at night and there was a big 13 point that was still steaming so it was freshly killed. and then the other is a guy that comes and hunts with an outfitter every year and drives his diesel truck up and down our road that goes by our property about 10-15 times a day, other than that i have no problems with non-residents.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:09 AM

I live in Florida, but bowhunt once a year in Ohio during the rut. I can completely agree that a few mess it up and form bad images for the rest. When I come up, it is the highlight of my year. I think you guys are extremely lucky to have what you have in the midwest. I treat everyone with utmost respect when we travel up and everyone there has also treated me the same. I hate that a few bad apples cause residents to form bad opinions of non-residents. In my opinion, ya'll have the greatest whitetail hunting in the U.S.. I do hunt alot here in Florida, but after I make my trip to Ohio it is hard to make myself go in the woods here..
Old 08-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

i wish they would make NR's shoot a doe first then a buck. wev'e worked pretty hard to establish the great herd we've got. 10-15 years ago you never heard of outfitters around here. then some huge bucks were shot and here comes everyone thinking just because it's il. you'll get a trophy. i don't really get it myself someone else does all the leg work for you.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

I really feel for you guys, I understand I probably would feel the same way if somebody came from out of state to hunt property that I used to hunt but can't anymore due to somebody else buying it or leasing it. It really dosen't seem fair, you live there but can't hunt there, that sucks.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have nothing against non-residents but here is my take on it from this part of the country. Poachers, Poachers, Poachers is what the residents do not like. I'm not saying that the residents don't poach, but it seems there are so many non-residents that don't have enough money to lease good land or go with a guide so what do they do?... Poach. I see the same trucks every year, never stopped but always driving around the best hunting spots in the area, night and day. Usually all of them are from Texas. And with one GW in the county, rarely are they caught. And the ones that are get a small fine, a slap on the wrist and they're still back next year.

Between that big problem, and the fact that the legal non-residents are taking the hunting spots away from residents, a lot of the residents do have biased attitudes toward non-residents.