Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 public view of non resident deer hunters >

public view of non resident deer hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

public view of non resident deer hunters

Old 07-11-2004, 12:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default public view of non resident deer hunters

A few years back my father and I went on a archery trip to adams county. On our way through Quincy we were seeing anti hunting signs along the side of the road. Also we were seeing them on the back of pickups too. Most of the people we met were not very nice to us, everyone from the gas station attendant, to the pizzia shop place we went to.I get the feeling that non-resident deer hunters are not well liked in some parts. Other than the reason of were here to hunt their deer is their something else that's going on that you guys could tell me?Seek advice. Thanks Lou-Lou
Old 07-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: public view of non resident deer hunters

If it is an anti- hunting issue then I believe it is that some parts of the country don't recieve enough oxygen for the peoples brains to function properly.
If it is a non-resident issue, I can totally understand the resentment because a few bad apples,(aka non residents) do not have the proper respect for the local people and there property. My area has lots of problems with people coming up for rifle season and trespassing, driving right past posted signs and interupting our hunts. ^There are some problems after hunting hours are over and the local taverns fill up also.
Like I said just a few bad apples but sometimes it only takes one bad experience to turn people against non-residents.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:05 PM

I havent had a ot of experience with non resident hunters, but have had a few come in to hunt with me, and what Ive found here in Missouri, with the few that Ive dealt with is that they spent the money to hunt out of state and they were pretty serious about. In my experience, Ive got a lot bigger problem with the locals around here than Ill ever have with a few non residents. Not to say that there arent some non residents that are bad apples, but our locals are way worse, they learn about good hunting or fishing spots and fences, signs and purple paint dont mean anything.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Been Hunting Pike and Adams counties for 6 years now and have found most of the locals welcome us (and the money we spend there) with open arms. There are always a VERY few who resent us though. I suspect those few were probably hunting for free a few years back on property now leased to outfitters for large dollars. How would you feel if your neighbor/friend/landowner who has allowed you to hunt for years suddenly told you he leased his place to other hunters from outside the state?

Whether we like it or not, paying to hunt is well on its' way to becoming a universally accepted practice. The sooner we all recognize and accept that the better off we'll all be.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:04 PM

They say the State of Mississippi is known as the Hospitality state, I don't think we have anything on the great folks in rural Ill., they are the nicest people I have ever met, the guy I hunt with even insists that I sleep at his house when I come up and hunt every year, he even went so far as to install a shower in the basement which is also their entertainment room complete with a big screen tv and a foldout sleeper in the sofa, where I sleep. And also he won't even let me pay him and I usually stay to hunt with him for 7 to 14 days straight.....his wife fixes these huge meals for supper every night...man, I'm gonna miss these folks this year since I didn't get a NR archery permit. I'm still gonna go visit him is Sept. just like we do every year.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:29 AM

I suspect those few were probably hunting for free a few years back on property now leased to outfitters for large dollars. How would you feel if your neighbor/friend/landowner who has allowed you to hunt for years suddenly told you he leased his place to other hunters from outside the state?
you are correct. in our area outfitting is becoming more and more popular. many local hunters are now left with little or no land to hunt. and the outfitters are the people who the locals truly resent. many of the people running the outfitter services have little or no interest in deer hunting and are in it for the $$$. the resentment you have experienced is a by-product of the locals feelings towards the outfitters.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:22 PM

I have heard many stories of outfitters tearing down fences and telling their hunters that they can hunt on private property.
Many locals can not afford to buy property anymore. A guy that I work with stoppped to look at 120 acres in Jersey County. I think he said it sold 4 years ago for $120,000. They want $430,000 now.
I know that I will never be able to buy any hunting property. I wish that I could turn the clock back 15 years.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Wrongway ,
go to your local courthouse and look into tax seizure properties . It's kind of a long shot , but sometimes you can find a decent patch for pretty cheap .
Old 07-30-2004, 07:46 AM

Your right you can go to the courthouse,but it's a longshot.Ijust bought 43 acres of timber in march,it went for around 3000 an acre.To much really for ground,but thats what's happening so I did it so I'd have a place to hunt.I've been hunting and in the outdoors all my life.I become an outfitter this year for a second job,I'm not doing it to get rich,I'm doing it so I dont have to go work at a job I dont like,plus I know alot about the outdoors already, so it fits me. I have friends I met from out of state in P.A. that come back here to hunt my property.I had to lease some other property so we would have some more ground to hunt,so we would'nt burn the little timber out.I have locals mad at me,but I told them talk to your landowner and help him out or pay him to hunt if you have to ,because thats what's happening.I hate to see this happen but times have changed and everyone is scared of change!
Old 07-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

lou-lou, I know in our area it's not non-residents, it's non resident landowners. I hate to see new ones come in, but I love to see them go.

Quick Reply: public view of non resident deer hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.