Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 11 & 13 year old shot once with 12 gauge, updated benefit info. >

11 & 13 year old shot once with 12 gauge, updated benefit info.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

11 & 13 year old shot once with 12 gauge, updated benefit info.

Old 03-20-2004, 01:52 PM

Default 11 & 13 year old shot once with 12 gauge, updated benefit info.

Bundy Benefit

To:
Date: 2004
Subject: Benefit for the Bundy Family

On November 2nd, 2003 a 13 year old bow hunter (Tony) and his 11-year old brother (Joe) were injured when they were mistaken for wild turkey by a hunter.
The two were hunting along a fence line near the town of Eau Galle while there father hunted from a nearby tree stand. The boys were shot once with a 12-gauge shotgun
The boys were taken to Chippewa Valley Hospital in Durand and flown to St. Mary’s Hospital in Rochester, Minn. Tony had multiple surgeries to remove shot from both eyes as well as other areas of his face, head and hands. Unfortunately, Tony is permanently blind in both eyes. He has also suffered from other health problems from this tragic accident. Joe had less serious injuries including shot in his upper lip, chest and arms.
The Bundy family has endured great heartache and will suffer from financial hardship for years to come. Therefore, we will be having a benefit to help the Bundy family in there time of need.
The event will be held on Saturday, May 1st at the Durand Rod and Gun Club, located on STH 25 between Durand and Menomonie, WI.. The benefit will be an all day event, starting at noon, including a meal, raffles, silent auction, dart tournament, and a band, TSG, to follow in the evening. I would like to invite everyone to the benefit.
We are asking you to please donate cash and/or prizes to help us make the benefit a great success. Your donations are greatly appreciated!

Please make checks payable to: Bundy Benefit

You may contact me in the following ways:
Aunt Cindy Schlosser
E2454 County Road X
Menomonie, WI 54751
phone: 715-664-8841
e-mail: [email protected]

Thank you in advance for your generosity!

To confirm the accident you can go to the following newspapers & search for Eau Galle
Wisconsin Outdoor News (Archive Search : Nov. 21st, 2003)
Dunn County News ( Nov. 2003 & Feb. 2004)
Sincerely,
Cindy Schlosser

Bundy Benefit : May 1st : 12:00 - ?
1:00 Dart Tournament (luck of the draw, double elimination, sign up by 12:30)
1:00 - 3:00 Silent Auction
1:30 - 3:30 Jingles the Clown (along with games and prizes for the kids)
3:00 - 6:00 Silent Auction
3:30 - ? Live Music by Arnold Anderson and Friends
6:00 Mystery Raffle (donated by the Downsville Sportsmen's Club)
6:30 Live Auction
9:30 - 1:30 Live Music by TSG & 3 Foot Gravity
10:00 Raffle Ticket Drawing

Food available all day: Pork, donated by Bob and Georgene Sobatka : Hot Dogs donated by Downsville Meat Processors : Potatoe Salad, etc.

We will also have various raffles (womans table, mens table, chinese rafffle, wheel spin, etc.) during the day and into the evening. These will depend on the donations we recieve.

Some of the donated items we have are as follows: Autographed Packer Football, Ted Nugent Autographed Picture, Chicago Bulls Official Yearbook '03 -'04 w/ "The Stampede Continues" CD, Family Land Waterpark Tickets @ WI Dells, Autographed Vikings Team Guide, Racing Collectables, Leinies Gary Fisher Mountain Bike ($5 chance @ Coop's in Eau Galle and also during the benefit), Sterling Silver Packer Coins, Various Artwork, Grills, Camping Set, Bows, 1/2 Hog, Quilts, Pottery, 4 St. Paul Saints Tickets, Whitetail Deer Shoulder Mount, Whispering Emerald Ridge Game Farm Package: (year membership w/ free Sporting Rounds, a ten bird hunt and a nights stay @ AmericInn in Menomonie), Chainsaw, year membership to Menomonie Fitness, year membership to the YMCA in Eau Claire, Avon, Party Lite, Mary Kay, many door prizes, etc.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I will gladly answer any questions you may have. My contact information is listed above.

Kindest Regards,
Cindy Schlosser
Old 03-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 11 & 13 year old shot once with 12 gauge

Well this is certainly another clear example of how unsafe handling of firearms can result in tragedy. I am so sorry to hear this.

I will take this opportunity to present a review of one of the most basic rules (and PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITIES) of use of a firearm or any other instrument used for hunting.

ALWAYS CLEARLY & POSITIVELY IDENTIFY your intended target and what is beyond your target BEFORE squeezing the trigger. You CANNOT call back the projectile once it is set in motion. Your actions can cause irreversible consequences that YOU and ONLY YOU are solely responsible for.

I spoke with Cindy this morning and she is indeed a very nice and well intentioned lady. First class. She filled me in with many details not included in the posting. The end result of all this is certain, ongoing hardship for ALL involved in this tragic, unfortunate, yet AVOIDABLE incident. Please do not think of these incidents as an accident as there is nothing further from the truth.

I told Cindy of the contributions that I will personally be making to try and help these boys out the best I can. I can not (and will not) just sit by and let things happen as they may. There is a way that I can personally make a difference in the hard times these boys may face so I WILL. I have three beautiful young boys that are absolutely in love with OUR great outdoors and can not imagine how I would feel and or deal with a situation such as this.

I have come to get to know quite a few folks on this website and I know that you are all a great bunch of folks. Folks who truly love our youth, hunting heritage, comradory and the great outdoors.

It is in this spirit and common fellowship that I ask all of you to look deep in your soul and ask what can you do for these two boys (who still want to hunt!). How can I help? Isn't there some sort of contribution you can make?

I would absolutely believe that others on this site will also "step up to the plate", whether you hit a homer or bunt doesn't matter-it is the involvement. It would be great if OUR site really came through for these boys.

Maybe if we get enough contributions, Cindy would even start a poster of our Huntingnet contributors to post at the benefit and all there could see just what we are about and capable of doing.

If you are going to make a contribution, please post here with a brief description of the item(s) to be raffled and or a cash/check contribution (no dollar amount needed). I have verified this story through the Dunn County News website. Let's really do something! I'll start here with my contribution.

I will furnish each of the boys with a brand new, very rare, die-cast NASCAR collecible race car (probobly Gordon & Dale Sr.). I will also furnish up to 4 more new, rare cars to be either auctioned or raffled off for the benefit of the boys.

Who's next?

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 03-25-2004, 02:05 PM

Default RE: 11 & 13 year old shot once with 12 gauge

You're right about one thing... it should NOT be considered an accident. No, things like this happen as a result of negligence, plain and simple. I didn't see, did the guy responsible get into any trouble? If I lived in the area, I would be sure to attend. I work at an airport and we hot fuel helo's that are going both the Mayo Clinic and to other area hospitals and nothing breaks the heart more than to see a child injured like that. I lost my own brother almost two years ago to the day. No, not in a hunting accident either. He simply tripped over his own feet and fell down some steps. He died on April 5th at 19 years of age.
Sorry, it's things like this that truly upset me. Not only because children were severly injured, but because it hurts hunting in general. The anti's just PRAY for things like this so they can say, "Look how dangerous and irresponsible huntera are!" Is this irresponsible person, who made the shot, being made to pay in any way? Or did he get away scot-free? Well, in my mind, the person whould lose his gun and hunting rights for a long time, if not forever. AND he should be made to give speeches to hunter's safety classes. Enough of this, I'm starting to get mad, and then I may ramble on forever.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:00 PM

Default RE: 11 & 13 year old shot once with 12 gauge, updated benefit info.

There will be a trial mid summer. The state is pressing 2 charges of injury by negligent use of a dangerous weapon. I do not know what consequences will be.
Aunt Cindy
Old 04-19-2004, 09:52 PM

I am so sorry to hear about this unfortunate and avoidable INCIDENT. Like all these Incidents they all could be avoided if people used and follow the 10 commandments of hunter safety. Why they are called incidents is because most hunting incidents are due to negligence not done accidentally. My husband was seriously injured in a hunting incident this past Dec 1,2003. He was shot in the head by a fellow hunter on the opening day of shot gun season. He survived and is doing well after months of therapy and many more months to go. He his determined man and will continue to fight his way back to what he used to be. Again, I am so sorry for the boys and my husband and I would like to make cash contribution. We know what you’re going through, our community has been a great help to us and we want to give something to the boys to show that we care BECAUSE ON THAT DAY SOMEONE BROKE ONE OR MORE OF THE TEN COMMANDMENTS of hunter safety rules and these boys and their family has to go through something that shouldn't of NEVER happened. This is a true tragedy.
PS Tell the family our thoughts and prayers are with them always.
PJ
Old 04-20-2004, 06:29 PM

wmass:

I am sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation. Stay strong and please give my best to your husband. I hope everything turns out for the best.

Hunters need to know their target and beyond! What part of this do these people not understand? These kinds of accidents should not happen! It is pure stupidity on the shooters behalf! No animal is worth the pain and suffering families like ours are now going through!

Your kindness is greatly appreciated.
Take Care & God Bless!
Aunt Cindy