Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Gobbling Situation in IL? >

Gobbling Situation in IL?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Gobbling Situation in IL?

Old 03-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Gobbling Situation in IL?

I have 1st season in Southern Illinois and can't wait. I taken off work and everything, gotta love it.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Spike

Hard core duck hunter here giving them gobblers a shot for the first time this year in the 3rd season Jackson county! Hope it goes good my rookie season!!!!
Old 04-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Dedduc I like abit later in the season the hens are starting to leave the gobblers some in mid morn so they are out trollin for new girlfriends don't leave the woods to early hang in there and keep after em' now that the bug has bit all you need is a bird to seal the deal GOOD LUCK
Old 04-12-2004, 06:18 PM

As you all know today was opening morning and boy was it hot. My first stand I called in 3 hens and then 5 jakes came in behind me, the only thing that did not come in was the boss tom strutting 70 yards away. Then I went back to the house and got my two little cousins to hunt with. Walking out to our setup these 2 gobblers gobbled at our footsteps, so we set up as fast as we could. I did a little calling and they were on top of us in 3 minutes, then my little cousin delivered the kill for his second turkey ever. I dont know if the season can get any better from here, but I do need to get one for myself!
Old 04-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Joe! Glad to hear the hunting is good. Just remember to leave a few for us late seasoners. I'm not going till 5th season when school gets out. Good luck the rest of the season!
Old 04-17-2004, 01:22 PM

well i went out again this morning. first stand showed nothing but a hen and a coyote. then i went back down to where my cousin got his gobbler. I started calling a little and about twenty minutes into it i saw one coming from my left side, not where i expected one to come from. he came in, looked at my decoys, and for some reason just walked up the other side of the draw. So i was not happy about that. after he left i crawled to the edge of a nearby field and saw a tom by itself about 200 yards away. I honestly didnt think he would come in, but i decided to make a few yelps at him anyways. well wouldnt u know it he turned and started walking right towards me. So i crawled back and set my decoys up on a little trail and layed behind a fence about 15 yards away. From where i was setup at i couldn't see into this field so i didnt know if he was still coming in or not. Well after about 45 minutes of calling off and on he came in. He stood about 5 yards away from my jake decoy struttin, spittin, and drummin. I thought he was gonna attack the decoy, thats when i put an end to it with my extra full choke tube. 1" spurs and a 9" beard. things couldnt get any better than this.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Went mushroom hunting this AM in Greene County. Several gobblers were working, even in the late morning. I also kicked a hen up off a nest.

I have been seeing gobblers working in fields on my way to work.

It is an exciting time of year!

Good luck!

LLBUX
Old 04-21-2004, 03:26 PM

Birds were pritty quiet Saturday. They made me work for it but I did get mine.

19lbs. 9" beard .70" Spurs.