HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Wolves in Iowa?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/49317-wolves-iowa.html)

who_else 01-13-2004 06:01 PM

Wolves in Iowa??

here in iowa i know of 5 "sightings" of wolves. this guy i hunt with says that the DNR here is trying to reinterduce them here. i dont know if i believe that but i know that more and more people are seeing them around. my dad saw one around christmas time and swore to god that it was a wolf, just to big to be a yote. anybody else see them in iowa?

rcw280 01-13-2004 07:54 PM

RE: Wolves in Iowa??

I know they have been supposedly been seen in southern WI by Spring Green recently. I also seem to remember one getting hit just outside of Madison a couple of years ago.

bob d 01-13-2004 08:11 PM

there was one killed here in illinios about 20 miles from me i talked to the taxidermist who skinned it , he sent the hide to be tanned and usfw service showed up at his door and wanted the skin and they went and got it from the tannery .

takem 01-13-2004 08:27 PM

i know of a few guys who have cam tracker pics of wolves near portage wi. the dnr says they are not this fat south but don't let them fool ya. the wife and i seen one this summer by the wi river,thought it was a yote till we got a better look.if it was a yote they sure are breeding them big.

1sagittarius 01-15-2004 05:26 PM

It has already been documented that wolves from Wisconsin and Michigan UP have wandered into Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana. These are young wolves pushed out of a pack that are seeking new territory, and possibly starting another pack. Could there be a wandering wolf in Iowa, maybe, very possible, only a matter of time.

[:o]Did the Iowa DNR plant the wolf there???? no, it would be stupid to even think they would. :D;)

MOTurkeyTamer 01-16-2004 07:39 PM

A year or so ago, a farmer shot and killed a wolf that was bothering his livestock. It was only about 45 miles from where I live here in MO. If I recall correctly, the wolf had something on it that the game officials were able to determine that it had migrated south from the U.P. of Michigan. That's wandering a long way from home!!

cheese-head 01-17-2004 07:45 PM

Just one simple term to use when encountering one of these fasinating creatures that has wondered out of its normal range. SSS shoot/ shovel/ shutup. [:@]

Regan H 04-22-2012 11:30 PM

Wolves

I have seen two in nw Ia. 40 miles apart. While coonhunting one nite the coyotes stated to yep and yip and then there was a long deep howl amonst the coyotes. now threw dna in the eastern u.s.a. wolves have been crossing with coyotes and I thing that has been happing here too.I think young lone wolves wonder in and take out the alfa male coyote and start breeding the females. We don't need wolves in Ia. If you haven't gone to( Lobowatch.com) or (saveelks.com) do it you we learn about wolves and their distuction of wild life. The animal rights people are the ones that did it. If you don't know about (humanewatch.org) punch that in and learn about the fight you are in. Fight H$U$, PETA and all the rest of the damn ar groups, you know the want to stop all hunting and want everone to be vegan!

Murdy 04-23-2012 06:12 AM

Minnesota has a huge population, so it wouldn't surprise me if a few young males got run out of their packs and wandered south -- in fact, it would surprise me more if this didn't happen.

cayugad 04-27-2012 03:10 PM

And from someone that lives in timber wolf country here in Wisconsin... you are more then welcome to them. In fact if it were up to me, I ship them all down to you in Iowa or any where else they wanted them.