HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   IN to ban smokless gun powder! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/45073-ban-smokless-gun-powder.html)

phishook 12-02-2003 11:24 PM

IN to ban smokless gun powder!

i heard from several people that the boyz in Indy are talking about banning smokless gun powder, and possibly modern inline muzzel loaders.

Anyone else head this? If someone can find a link, please post it here. We need to jump on this before it goes any further.

kevin1 12-03-2003 08:37 AM

RE: IN to ban smokless gun powder!

Phish ,
you can find the proposal at the DNR website . They are seeking a ban on smokeless powder during the ML season , not on inlines . This was in response to a HUGE outcry from the sporting community during proposal input session , and will likely pass . The majority of Hoosiers submitting a response were concerned about the safety issue .

propmahn 12-03-2003 10:16 PM

if the concern is over the range of the smokeless powder rifles i can see it, inlines would piss me off though because i got one week ago

phishook 12-03-2003 10:59 PM

first they'll take away the smokeless, then in a few tears the inline, followed by the hand gun. Heck, by the time my 2yr old is my age he'll be down to a single shot 410.

My old Red Rider could be more dangerous than a smokeless rifle if I made stupid shots. What's so dangerious about using a powerfull rifle?

kevin1 12-04-2003 05:29 AM

Phish ,
the point of concern was that there will always be a few fools who will overload the rifle . They could do that with BP or subs too , but the danger level for doing it with smokeless is much higher since the powder is more powerful to begin with . "Just 20 more grains and that 200 yard shot will be mine!" is the rationale behind it . The proposal to ban inlines comes up every year , but DNR knows better . It would effectively kill the ML season since most ML hunters use inlines .

Their intentions are good , but I don't agree with it either .

deerhunter1224 12-06-2003 11:00 AM

this may be a dumb question. what are the inlines ML you guys are talking about? i hunt with muzzleloader i never heard of them. i dont know much about ML anyway.

Roger46982 12-08-2003 10:38 AM

Indiana has dropped the proposal to ban Smokeless powder Muzzleloading.

propmahn 12-08-2003 11:01 AM

the reason to ban smokeless powder would be to limit the range of the projectile. A lot of the places in this state are flat and they dont want the bullets going too far. thats why we cant use rifles.

Roger46982 12-08-2003 01:00 PM

propmahn, So you are saying a muzzleloader fired with 41 grs. of smokeless powder shoots flatter than one stoked with 150 grs of black powder- Pyrodex or 777!!!

Indianahick 12-08-2003 01:43 PM

Deerhunter- Savage makes the smokeless muzzleloader.

And yes according to what I have heard and read the smokeless have higher muzzle velocity than does the black powder or pyrodex. Personally the couple of times that I shot 777 I was not impressed. My bullet actually hit lower on the target than did my pyrodex loads. I was trying the 777 because of the supposed ease of cleaning.