Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 IN to ban smokless gun powder! >

IN to ban smokless gun powder!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

IN to ban smokless gun powder!

Old 12-02-2003, 11:24 PM

Default IN to ban smokless gun powder!

i heard from several people that the boyz in Indy are talking about banning smokless gun powder, and possibly modern inline muzzel loaders.

Anyone else head this? If someone can find a link, please post it here. We need to jump on this before it goes any further.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: IN to ban smokless gun powder!

Phish ,
you can find the proposal at the DNR website . They are seeking a ban on smokeless powder during the ML season , not on inlines . This was in response to a HUGE outcry from the sporting community during proposal input session , and will likely pass . The majority of Hoosiers submitting a response were concerned about the safety issue .
Old 12-03-2003, 10:16 PM

if the concern is over the range of the smokeless powder rifles i can see it, inlines would piss me off though because i got one week ago
Old 12-03-2003, 10:59 PM

first they'll take away the smokeless, then in a few tears the inline, followed by the hand gun. Heck, by the time my 2yr old is my age he'll be down to a single shot 410.

My old Red Rider could be more dangerous than a smokeless rifle if I made stupid shots. What's so dangerious about using a powerfull rifle?
Old 12-04-2003, 05:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Phish ,
the point of concern was that there will always be a few fools who will overload the rifle . They could do that with BP or subs too , but the danger level for doing it with smokeless is much higher since the powder is more powerful to begin with . "Just 20 more grains and that 200 yard shot will be mine!" is the rationale behind it . The proposal to ban inlines comes up every year , but DNR knows better . It would effectively kill the ML season since most ML hunters use inlines .

Their intentions are good , but I don't agree with it either .
Old 12-06-2003, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

this may be a dumb question. what are the inlines ML you guys are talking about? i hunt with muzzleloader i never heard of them. i dont know much about ML anyway.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Indiana has dropped the proposal to ban Smokeless powder Muzzleloading.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:01 AM

the reason to ban smokeless powder would be to limit the range of the projectile. A lot of the places in this state are flat and they dont want the bullets going too far. thats why we cant use rifles.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

propmahn, So you are saying a muzzleloader fired with 41 grs. of smokeless powder shoots flatter than one stoked with 150 grs of black powder- Pyrodex or 777!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 01:43 PM

Deerhunter- Savage makes the smokeless muzzleloader.

And yes according to what I have heard and read the smokeless have higher muzzle velocity than does the black powder or pyrodex. Personally the couple of times that I shot 777 I was not impressed. My bullet actually hit lower on the target than did my pyrodex loads. I was trying the 777 because of the supposed ease of cleaning.

Quick Reply: IN to ban smokless gun powder!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.