Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Wisconsin Deer Season Report 2003 >

Wisconsin Deer Season Report 2003

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin Deer Season Report 2003

Old 11-23-2003, 03:03 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default Wisconsin Deer Season Report 2003

Well, how about it fellow Cheeseheads? Thought might be nice to have some of the experiences posted here. Please if you have some pictures, include them as well.

Myself, I hunted opening day, and due to work had to come back. Going back up Tuesday though for the rest of the week.

As for myself...Over in Trempealeau County where we were, it was windy and in the mid to low 30' s. As the day went on we had drizzle that froze when it hit you gun. Not exactly the nicest weather to hunt in. I did not score, but my 14 year old niece shot an 11 pt with about a 15 inch inside spread. Nice heavy rack! Can' t beat that for luck for a FIRST DEER! Our neighbor had the same sort of situation. His son (a classmate of my niece!) shot a 10 pt. GET THIS: GREEN SCORED 165 GROSS AND A HAIR OVER 160 NET!!! I' ll get some pictures to post in the next week or so.

Man, it' s great for the kids to have such great experiences. Makes you wonder what all of us old farts are doing wrong.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wisconsin Deer Season Report 2003

I had one deer come in @ 6:15 am, to early to shoot! Oh' well! Thats hunting!
Old 11-23-2003, 06:38 PM

this was the first opener I missed in 20 yrs as I had to work but saturday i got off at 2:30 got to my tree at 3:15 at 3:30 a nice doe walked past at 20 yds by 4:00 we were on our way to the meat pole. I wont be able to get out again till thursday i will post more then
Old 11-24-2003, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Accually, the season is going real well. I shot a nice doe with my muzzleloader on Halloween day. This give me a buck tag, since I live in the earn a buck herd reduction area. Then I went after bucks with my bow. Passed up a couple, one pretty nice one. Seen at least three dandys. Thats why I passed up the pretty nice one because I saw a monster cruising the woods 45 minutes earlier. However I didn' t score with a bow.
Thirty minutes after shooting hours opened, regular gun season, a dandy 4x4 walked past me. Sure looked pretty in the scope but I didn' t shoot. The buck never knew he was only a finger squeeze from the crock pot. I kicked my self in the butt later, but I really want a buck tag for my bow.
I only had one more opportunity, which was presented me. A doe stopped on the crest of the hill. She also looked good in the scope, but I knew my son and maybe some other hunter was just over the hill, so the gun never came off safety.
There is still a lot of hunting time left. However its dissappointing that I don' t have the late season bowhunting like it used to be. I love the late season, but its gun hunting or bowhunting in blaze orange up until Jan. 3.
But on the bright side, I never liked the earn a buck concept, but I have seen more big bucks this year probably due to that concept. I can' t wait until next year.
Theres a lot of season left, good luck to all.
Dan
Old 11-24-2003, 07:07 AM

It was a miserable weekend in NE WI. i hunted around crivitz - it was very windy saturday, with light rain/sleet on and off. sunday morning was a downpour.
i never saw a deer, and i cant remember a year where i heard less shooting. from 11am on sat. morning till close i heard all of 2 shots. Didnt last long sunday, as i was soaked thru very very quickly (guess i should invest in some rain gear!), and with the temp hovering around 33 it got COLD! I only heard a shot or two in the couple hours i was out on sunday...
Old 11-24-2003, 07:23 AM

Wan' t too bad except for the weather. Between the 3 of us we seen 14 bucks and were able to shoot 2 adult does. Not a bad opening weekend. We did see a couple shooter bucks, but nothing within range. This snow might help out a bit if the wind will only stop now!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2003, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

CWD zone. Saw about 30-40 doe (many of them were probably the same ones) and I passed on 11 different buck, one was a really nice 8 about 16 inches wide (inside) but very high rack. In our group everyone saw at least 5 buck, 4 were taken. 8pt 16" , 10pt 16" ,8pt 18 1/2" , 9pt 18" . I was at the registration station on Saturday about noon. Counted 25 bucks, only one was a 1 1/2 year old 5 pt., everthing else was 8pt and outside the ears or better. A couple nice 10' s 12' s about 20 inches. Lots of little ones left to grow up for next year!
Old 11-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

However its dissappointing that I don' t have the late season bowhunting like it used to be. I love the late season, but its gun hunting or bowhunting in blaze orange up until Jan. 3.
Did something change????? Why do you need to use Blaze orange until Jan 3rd?????? Is this just in your area????
Old 11-24-2003, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just in the CWD zones. Gun hunting will continue until Jan 3, so anyone in the woods is to wear blaze orange.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:17 PM

Hunted in Crandon , did not see S**t![:' (]

Quick Reply: Wisconsin Deer Season Report 2003

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.