Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Logging

Old 09-21-2020, 10:52 AM
Spike

Default Logging

Does anyone know how long it takes 60 acres to be logged. Just found out the area that I hunt in far northern Wisconsin just started getting logged. Curious if they will be done by mid November gun season.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is an impossible to answer this question without knowing a LOT more details
as so many things can effect how long
like HOW many tree's being cut, clear cutting, selective cutting, removing tree tops, or leaving them behind,
how much access will timber crew have to lands, can they skid tree's out at will;, or have to follow certain trails
are they HAND cutting tree's with chain saws, or using a large machine to cut them<
HOW many people working to cut area< 2 guy's 10, 20?

here in my area they will NOT timber any wet sections till ground freezes to prevent excessive damage to the ground?

so , sorry NOT what you want to hear, I am sure, but being honest

how long it takes , is just based on too many unknown factors to even guess at IMO
a two man crew on one farm I managed took them 3 months to timber a 50 acre section

that was a rather selective cut too, leaving tops where they fell
, but a LOT of the tree's were 100-150+ yr old VERY large hard wood and even soft wood being taken(well some of it, some was left behind per

so size of timbers also plays a role in how long it takes them, same can be said on HOW many drivers they have to HAUL cut logs away and HOW far they need to be hauled before being dropped off at a mill or?? land owner wishes)

your BEST bet if you wish to know, is find out WHO is timbering, and ask them what there time frame looks like!, or maybe even the land owner, as most have a signed contract that say when they can and cannot log, as in when they HAVE to be off land!

Old 09-22-2020, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

2 days more then likely
Old 09-22-2020, 07:27 AM
Spike

mrbb - Thanks for the input. Not knowing a whole lot about logging it was a bit too general of a question. However, based on your additional questions, it gives me a somewhat of an idea and also how to find out more. Much appreciated.
grouch55 - aint it the truth. lol
Old 09-22-2020, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah most timber guys I have dealt with have all been pretty good guys, they understand folks hunt and most are willing to tell you there basic plan and how and when they expect to be done, they typically want to get in and out as fast as they can and onto the next job, , they still work by the deal, time is money, faster done, more profit they make, but weather, size of tree's terrain, and other things can really plan heck on time frames
but they still typically have a contract as to when they have to OFF the land
so they should at least be able to tell you that, and then you can work on things from there
Old 09-22-2020, 06:30 PM
Spike

I was able to get the job specs from the county forestry dept. It'll be interesting to see if they are done by mid November and what selective harvesting really means in this case. They also cant log if there's 2 inches or more of snow on the ground. If this years gun season is like any of the last 2 years they wont be in the woods. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to hunt it.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

selective harvesting of timber, tends to mean, ONLY logging what the land owner wants logged and NOT clear cutting , as in cutting all timber of size!

most land owners today know the difference in timber , in both whats better for the land to be left and what is of higher value, and what is junk,
and then to timber based on what there goal is,for the future of the property as well as what financial gains they wish to get NOW as to later
most timber with a plan of another timber down the road, so they prefer to not clear cut and do selective harvesting of timber on there lands!

ALSO< most timber crews know that folks RIFLE HUNT< opening day and tend to stay out of woods , for there own safety, but its not a 100% deal, some HAVE to work when weather allows
so be safe, and maybe talk to land owner and see what his wishes are ion you being there if they are timbering

its also NOT a bad idea to meet the timber guys, buy em lunch or likes and, well, they have the BIG tools there on site to help make future hunting spots better, like where they place tops, cut roads, open lanes, and can even make small food plot area's for you, most all loggers I worked with, all were pretty easy going and helpful for me, but then again, I was also managing a lot of the lands they were on, so they tried to stay on my good side , as I was always watching and reporting to land owners as requested!
but I never busted any one them's ball's about things, honestly they were all pretty good to deal with, even left a few tree's marked for cutting due to I had stands near and asked if they would leave due to how they worked for cover for me? this isn't always easy top get them to do as tree's are MONEY to them, so, everyone they leave costs them $$, but again, I have asked and so far never been told NO, but also don ;t ask too often either!
Old 09-27-2020, 03:48 PM
Spike

Luckily it's selective with a few minor areas that will be cleared. It's county owned forest. They did big clear quite a few years ago and that's all poplar now. Pretty thick stuff. There's a plus and minus to all this. I know deer like the stuff that's left over and the area will get even better in the years to come. The bad thing is the logging road getting in there is sure to draw a crowd. I wish I could get out to see what its looking like but it's a 5 hour drive. One of our crew will be checking it out next weekend though. I'll tell him about he lunch thing. :-) I'm sure in this area a couple of well placed 12 packs would also work.