Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Shed hunting

Old 01-03-2020, 08:13 AM
Spike

Default Shed hunting

Anyone finding sheds in southeast South Dakota yet?
Old 01-03-2020, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Bucks are still holding in North East Ohio.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard that dominant bucks don't shed their antlers till early April.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:23 PM
Spike

My understanding is that if a buck senses that there are still doe to be bread (does still in heat) their testosterone levels remain high and antlers stay on. Once most does have been bread, a bucks testosterone levels start to wain and his antlers drop. Here in Central PA I've seen bucks with antlers as late as mid March; also seen bucks shed antlers in late December. I keep an eye on does; constantly looking at their tarsel glands. Again my understanding is dark tarsel glands indicate a doe in heat or ready to breed. Once bread, a doe will lick her tarsel glands clean (almost back to white). Good luck shed hunting!
Old 10-12-2020, 05:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Central PA Sportsman
My understanding is that if a buck senses that there are still doe to be bread (does still in heat) their testosterone levels remain high and antlers stay on. Once most does have been bread, a bucks testosterone levels start to wain and his antlers drop. Here in Central PA I've seen bucks with antlers as late as mid March; also seen bucks shed antlers in late December. I keep an eye on does; constantly looking at their tarsel glands. Again my understanding is dark tarsel glands indicate a doe in heat or ready to breed. Once bread, a doe will lick her tarsel glands clean (almost back to white). Good luck shed hunting!
thanks! I hadn’t heard this before. Every year, I hunt for sheds and have yet to find any. I’ll do it again this year because it’s time in the field and not the office.