HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   ohio deer gun season (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/422259-ohio-deer-gun-season.html)

t.shaffer 11-30-2019 10:40 PM

ohio deer gun season

well ohio deer gun season begins tomorrow 12-2 . hopefully i can get my birthday buck 1 day late. 99% of the time my birthday falls during gun season but this year it falls on the sunday before . well the archery kill is at almost 75000 almost 10000 up from last year. looking good for deer hunters . but also monday is showing some nasty wintery weather ice sleet & snow . with a chance of lake erie snow effect in lorain county. but the rest of the week looks to be perfect no higher than 42 deg & no lower than 30 deg in the early morning's .just cold enough to get some hunters up & walking .pushing deer .

Bocajnala 12-01-2019 02:39 AM

Hopefully we get some snow then it stays all week. I like hunting in snow.

Happy birthday and good luck tomorrow!

-Jake

t.shaffer 12-01-2019 08:37 AM

thanks jake hopefully see you towards the middle / end of the week . hopefully i save you a nice deer . surpose to be crappy tomorrow morning but by afternoon all snow but little to no accumalation . seen your post for pa's opener you're get use to it . just got to plan further

Mr. Slim 12-02-2019 09:58 AM

not really liking the Saturday opener. only heard 1 shot all day. didnt seem to be many guys in the woods. did see some deer in the woods and field on Saturday. nothing today. rain and snow flurries today. good luck to you and Jake.

Bocajnala 12-02-2019 02:20 PM

Hunted all day today. Soaked and cold. Saw about twenty doe and one little buck.

-Jake

t.shaffer 12-02-2019 05:09 PM

hunted all day seen 1 spike around 8:15 did'nt shoot it buddy of mine shot a nice 6pt & late this afternoon seen a decent 8 pointer but was in front of another hunter who never seen the deer but was looking at does across the road.my shot would of been around 125 yrds . but was not worth the chance of shooting my hunting parnter by mistake . also another one of my hunting partners who now has a new name ELMER FUDD switched locations forgot to reload when he got into a elevated tree stand & had 4 does run right towards him & click nothing happened , lol but was soaked & tired at the end of the day . very little shooting was going on heading to bed & will start over again early tomorrow morning. worst opening day only seeing 2 deer .

Bocajnala 12-02-2019 05:44 PM

Good luck tomorrow. I have the kids in the morning. But will slip out to the game lands about 330 for the evening.

Still planning on hunting with you Wednesday if you're out.

PA was nasty weather today. Saw 18 doe. One small buck. Soaked and cold all day.

-Jake

t.shaffer 12-02-2019 11:37 PM

yes sir plan on hunting wedsday looks like possible some snow that day . i think it's going to be a hard week of hunting. getting up now to head out for tuesday hunt . will call you sometime today jake thanks

t.shaffer 12-03-2019 11:10 PM

well tuesday hunt was a lot better seen 11 doe & 3 bucks & missed 1 doe. seemed like there were alot more hunters out on tuesday then the crappy weather monday. there were guys out doing deer drives & alot more shooting was going on. heading out today to hunt with jake & my buddy rich. seems like wedsday & thursdays you have the whole woods to yourself . lets go out & find out . supposely snow flurries all day.with 1 to 3 inches of accumulation

t.shaffer 12-05-2019 12:11 AM

well we went out on wedsday & no we did'nt have the woods all to ourselfs . myself i did'nt see anything . but jake got a nice button buck. congrats on that ohio whitetail. obtw BRONCO . i believe the deer was bigger then his pa bear ( ha ha lol ) but it was nice hunting with you jake looking foward to extended gun season & especially muzzy season

t.shaffer 12-05-2019 12:14 AM

opening day results are in ohio killed 15501 deer up from 13651 from last year. up 1850 deer . showing good signs

Bocajnala 12-05-2019 03:48 AM

I was surprised at the amount of people out for a Wednesday.

Quite a bit of shooting going on. But most of it sounded like misses.

Had a fun day. Definitely looking forward to muzzleloader season out there. That's probably my new favorite season and it'll be good to be able to chase does in the late season again.

-Jake

t.shaffer 12-05-2019 03:57 AM

awesome jake i love muzzleloader seson. i think that's the best season

t.shaffer 12-08-2019 12:46 AM

heading out today for the final day of first gun week. seen 3 nice bucks & 14 doe . all to far to shoot . not alot of hunters out either & diffently not alot of shoots ran out either

t.shaffer 12-08-2019 03:46 PM

well the first gun season has ended & i myself did'nt kill one . the last time i got skunked was 1999 20 yrs to be exact. oh well 3 more were taken today by my buddies . basket rack 8 pointer & 2 does . can't complain see enough . seen that spike buck again today. but still did'nt decide to take it. well in 2 weeks our extended gun season kicks in for 2 days dec 21 & 22 . alot of shots today & alot of hunters out this afternoon. fiquired they di'nt want to watch the nfl games . well we will see in a couple of days what the total harvest is for gun week.

t.shaffer 12-10-2019 05:44 AM

well the total kill for gun week is in & the results are 63,493 deer that's up 2741 from last years count that a increase of 4.25 % & now only on state game lands it's buck's only until feb 2 2020 but on private land it's either sex

Bocajnala 12-18-2019 10:56 PM

Late season back in for Sat and Sun this weekend. I think I'll be hunting close to home probably on Saturday- looking for a buck. Need to do some things around home too that day. I have a stand set up on a 6 acre property that I'm allowed on. It's not much, but I have day time pictures of a few bucks showing up on camera. Sunday I'll probably go sit in the morning but have to work that night so won't be hunting all day.

I'm mainly excited for Muzzle loader season to come in after the Holidays. I have some days off for it this year.

-Jake

t.shaffer 12-19-2019 05:38 AM

good luck jake . will be on hawley rd on saturday & nesbett's on sunday. hopefully get to draw up on 1 . yeah me too i love muzzleloading season. don't forget your welcome to hunt out here in lorain county during muzzy season. let me know how you do this weekend.

Bocajnala 12-22-2019 07:17 PM

Ohio was good to me tonight, again.

Interesting and intense hunt, I'll make a post with all the details in the whitetail section.

-Jake

t.shaffer 12-22-2019 10:13 PM

well the extended season has ended & for the first time in twenty years did not take a deer during gun season. had a great weekend . should of had a nice buck but short story the one guy who was suppose to take another stand accidently took the stand i was suppose to be in. so i told him not to worry about i'd hunt the stand he was to be in.he seen the big buck but could'nt see him in the scope & instead took a doe . was meant to be i quess. sunday was in the correct stand & seen the buck @ 510 but was in the state park were you can't hunt was going to shoot a doe @ 250 yrds but it ran back into the park also before i could get a good shot. but a good day seen over 14 deer.but no shots now the muzzleloading season begins on jan 4 thru the 7th

t.shaffer 12-24-2019 02:38 AM

well the 2 day extended gun season totals are in & this year state total is 13,995 that a increase of 4,370 deer from last year. & in lorain county there were 171 deer taken & compared to last year that's a increase of 12 deer. now the up coming muzzleloader season is coming jan 4 thru the 7th hooray my favorite season