HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   ohio archery opens 9/28/19 who's heading out (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/421809-ohio-archery-opens-9-28-19-whos-heading-out.html)

t.shaffer 09-26-2019 12:37 AM

ohio archery opens 9/28/19 who's heading out

just a few days before ohio's opening day of archery. will be heading out for a morning hunt & a later evening hunt . temp's will be as high as 85 deg.will see how that effects deer movement .morning temps to be around 60 to 65 . woods are still pretty thick. but will be hunting a bean field.

Bocajnala 09-26-2019 08:21 AM

I may slip out in the afternoon for the last 2 hours. Just to say I did. I don't like hot weather.

-Jake

t.shaffer 09-28-2019 12:17 AM

it's 4am & just getting up to hunt opening day .looked outside & it is pouring rain. but at least i'll be in a ground blind or elevated treestand which is also a box blind . at least i'll be dry.

t.shaffer 09-29-2019 03:22 AM

went out yesterday morning & seen 3 doe & another doe with 2 fawns the doe & 2 fawns were less than 30 yrds from me & did'nt want to orphan the fawns . rained most of the morning. then went out in the late afternoon & seen a ton of deer coming out of findley park & only seen 1 nice buck. most the deer came out after sunset . in all it was a good day to be out . will head out tonite for some more hunting.

Bocajnala 09-29-2019 03:25 AM

Good luck!

t.shaffer 09-30-2019 04:53 AM

went out yesterday (sunday ) in the afternoon & everybody must of stayed home for nfl sunday & including the deer seen 1 coming home & when i arrived home there were 6 does & 4 fawns eat corn in my yard. well at least i got to see them.

Bocajnala 09-30-2019 09:39 AM

I still have a spotted fawn running around my place.

Looks like it has Dumbo ears on it's head for some reason.

-Jake

whitetail72 10-02-2019 06:28 PM

I seen a nice 10 point come across state rt 58 that came out of findley park over to the state land last evening .

t.shaffer 10-03-2019 03:21 AM

yeah i buddie of mine ronnie said his buddie got him on a trail cam picture off hawley road near bursley rd. i may of seen him on opening day coming out of findley going east. crossed the property i once was able to hunt . that now is being leased . but will still have a chance on the 2 other properties i still can hunt .on either side of findley

t.shaffer 10-05-2019 02:24 AM

was out last nite on the property on bursley rd & seen a nice buck that was still in findley right off the rd but on the state park side. heading back out as we speak.& when i left last nite seen a bigger buck standing along state route 58 & route 20 near the jvc hi school.

whitetail72 10-10-2019 04:55 PM

seen a nice 12 point with a lot of trash down on griggs just before backer rd. wed. evening heading south. maybe coming your way at some point.

t.shaffer 10-11-2019 04:08 AM

thanks whitetail 72 will be out tonite & all day saturday. hopefully see something with antlers

t.shaffer 10-26-2019 04:42 AM

heading out this afternoon with jake to show him the hunting property in lorain county. suppose to rain some but can't take em from the couch

t.shaffer 10-27-2019 11:18 AM

went out with jake yesterday to show him some of the properties & seen 2 nice bucks just too far out . myself i seen a basket 8 pointer but did have enough time to draw up on him rained most of the day but in all we had a pretty good afternoon hunt

t.shaffer 10-27-2019 11:19 AM

heading back out this afternoon

Bocajnala 10-27-2019 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by t.shaffer (Post 4363492)
heading back out this afternoon

Hope that 12 point gives you a chance.

-Jake

t.shaffer 10-28-2019 02:27 AM

went out yesterday & seen a nice buck way north of the property that i hunt.could'nt tell ow many points once he seen my truck jump & ran into findley park. but seen another nice 8 pointer towards dusk too far to take a shot. did see allot of does going home heading out to eat. in all another good day of hunting.

t.shaffer 11-03-2019 11:00 AM

just got home from vacation with my wife to celebrate her birthday & out wedding anniversary only to come home to a huge buck chasing a nice doe in my yard. and i believe she is ready to mate. now i got to get back out & do some serious deer hunting now. seen allot of dead deer along i 90 from pa to cleveland so you know it's getting to be rut time

Bocajnala 11-03-2019 11:49 AM

Allot of Ohio bucks were tagged this weekend. They are up on their feet all day from what I'm hearing.

We have our Ravenna arsenal hunt this next Saturday. Wife is allowed to shoot a buck

Hoping we have some luck.

-Jake

t.shaffer 11-05-2019 04:10 AM

was out yesterday on bursley. seen allot of does & 3 decent bucks which were all too far to shoot at.closest one was 75 yrds & he was in findley park walking on the side of the road.he was a nice 8pt & saw a nice 11 pointer @ a check in station jake good luck to you & your wife @ ravenna this weekend. let me know how you did.

t.shaffer 11-10-2019 01:00 AM

heading out this morning to the deer damage farm & then off to wellington for a late afternoon to evening bow hunt

Bocajnala 11-10-2019 01:16 AM

Arsenal hunt went alright. It all depends what unit they put you in. We had a nice unit. It was pretty open woods. Lots of acorns. Lots of squirrel. The deer mostly stayed in the thick stuff on either side of our area though.

Spent most the day hunting the edge waiting on deer to come out to eat or get pushed out.

Around 11 the wife missed a doe unfortunately. Then at 1150 I shot a little button buck. Thats all the shootable deer we saw. Unit beside us took a buck and three doe in the thick stuff and said the deer were running circles in there all day long. We were just one unit away from the good action!

We saw a very large buck running into another unit. And then a small buck with a few doe running through the brush.

One lucky lady managed to take this buck and a doe.

Acorns were everywhere. As well as fox and black squirrel. I'd love to get in there to hunt squirrel.

Picture of sand creek

We had a good day anyway.

- Jake

t.shaffer 11-11-2019 02:39 AM

congrats jake aleast some meat for the freezer. went out yesterday took a doe on the deer damage farm seen a nice 10 pointer but was not on the property.was on the neighbors property about 1/4 mile away. went out to bursley rd seen about 8 doe but not sure if they were the same doe over & over again. went to the check in station & 1 guy had a decent 10 pointer but rack was'nt that big. donated the doe to feed the hungry. now heading back out today to see what happens with this cold front coming in .

Mr. Slim 11-11-2019 11:41 AM

hi tom, how have you been? rifle season isnt in here yet. 3 more weeks to go.

Bocajnala 11-11-2019 11:50 AM

Mr slim. How are you holding up this year?

Going to be able to get out to hunt? Saturday opener should have more people in the woods.

-Jake

t.shaffer 11-12-2019 04:54 AM

hey mr slim. hanging in there just like boogers. actually having problems with my left side rotor cup & bursitis setting in on both of my shoulders . but still able to get out . but can't stay out like i use to. finally got to meet & take jake out to do some hunting on private land in lorain county. yeah gun season starts here monday after thanksgiving. how are you doing? great to see pa open their season the saturday after thanksgiving. now if they could agree to sunday hunting.let me tell you having sunday hunting is the best thing next to sliced bread. it's good hearing from you.

Mr. Slim 11-16-2019 03:32 PM

been doing pretty good. knees still giving me problems. going to call ortho dr and get some shots of cortisone in them. might be able to get out for deer. if the deer keep coming into the field above the house i can knock one off from the deck. there has been three or four bucks around in the field. 4, 6, 8 points. 4 not legal. after first week does are open. they taste better then bucks anyway. some guys with camps that live out of state are not happy with the saturday opener. makes it harder for them to get to camp and open up and get stocked up with one day. well see what happens.

t.shaffer 11-16-2019 04:14 PM

was out all day today & did'nt see a dam thing . like somebody shut off the deer movement. there were allot of hunters out figured aleast somebody would push a deer out . nothing notta darn thing . i can't believe the rut is over yet. coming home in the dark & did"nt see anything either. going out all day tomorrow . oh yeah love that sunday hunting . oops that on the pa hunting forum.

Bocajnala 11-16-2019 05:40 PM

Because of how our PTO request works out makes it difficult for me to get off those days. Allot of people take all of Thanksgiving week off. Making it hard for me to get Friday and Saturday off to get over there and hunt.

I was able to make some switches and make it work this year. But I can see that it will cause a problem eventually.

-Jake

t.shaffer 11-18-2019 11:15 AM

fully understand that jake . fortunely i've been pretty lucky to able to take off days for hunting being #2 in the senority list. also nobody else in my shop hunts & everybody takes time off during the summer . was out sunday & deer were on the move again. had to go to my hunting club meeting @ 5 pm & did i see deer out in the fields . mostly bean fields . probably seen over 30 deer