Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Rifles in Illinois >

Rifles in Illinois

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Rifles in Illinois

Old 04-09-2019, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

Bucktail, would you care to elaborate on the reasons why .30cal or larger and the other stipulations you suggested? Because I can't for the life of me figure out why those restrictions exist. In my younger days, I took many whitetail with a .243. Are you suggesting that a .243 is not large enough for whitetail sized game? The many thousands of deer taken with one every year would strongly disagree. I find it dumbfounding that these states come up with this off the wall crap saying some calibers are too small for deer that have not only been killing deer for many decades, but some that are restricted have hundreds of pounds more energy than some that are allowed. Look at the 30/30 vs the 7mm08 and you will see just exactly what I mean.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Bucktail, would you care to elaborate on the reasons why .30cal or larger and the other stipulations you suggested? Because I can't for the life of me figure out why those restrictions exist. In my younger days, I took many whitetail with a .243. Are you suggesting that a .243 is not large enough for whitetail sized game? The many thousands of deer taken with one every year would strongly disagree. I find it dumbfounding that these states come up with this off the wall crap saying some calibers are too small for deer that have not only been killing deer for many decades, but some that are restricted have hundreds of pounds more energy than some that are allowed. Look at the 30/30 vs the 7mm08 and you will see just exactly what I mean.
I am not suggesting anything, I pulled this info off the bill that is trying to be passed in Illinois.
Looks to be straight walled cartridges only over .30 cal. If the bill is passed and put into law. It’s probably for safety reasons not allowing bottleneck cartridges .
There are several handgun cartridges that are chambered in rifles which will be legal, 357 Mag., .41 Mag., .44 Mag., .454 Casull, 460 S&W and .500 S&W. Along with a few rifle cartridges, .444 Marlin, 45-70, .450 Bushmaster, I’m sure there are a few more.
I’m not sure if I’ll tool up if the law is passed, no need to.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I cant imagine why i would want to "down grade" to any straight wall cartridge rifle from my smokeless muzzleloader. Very few can match its ballistics in energy or even velocity.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, I apologize Bucktail, I misread your post as you suggesting that stuff. My smokeless ML loaded up with 300gr Noslers has much more muzzle energy, and even at 100 yards too, than anything on that list. But in the idiot political mind, since it's a front suffer, it's safe even though I can consistently ring our 20 inch gong at 500 yards with it. I do find it absolutely ridiculous when someone who knows absolutely nothing about firearms, ballistics, or hunting, is the one put in charge.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:20 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

hunter's life I see you avoided all my questions. Try again. A few drives and views here and there mean nothing. Analysis of P&Y numbers reported in states with rifles in the rut tell the tale. Study Michigan for an obvious example. Classic habitat that should produce record book bucks but does not due to horrendous management. I've hunted the states I mentioned both before and after their bad management decisions. Over widespread geographic areas The differences were very significant on public land. I completely quit going to Kansas after what I saw, and would for Illinois as well if I didn't own a LL there.

mrbb - Totally wrong here's your obvious reason why deer quality in Alabama sucks and all their trophy hunters are in Illinois with OTC tags come November. Not sure how anyone in their right mind could argue with this!Archery or SpearOct. 15-Feb. 10**FirearmsNov. 18-Feb. 10** (Hellooooooo....................Is there anybody home???)Dog Hunting, Where AllowedNov. 17-Jan. 15**Special Muzzleloader and Air RifleNov. 12-16
Old 04-14-2019, 07:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Zim
Just what we need to further exploit a downward spiraling deer herd. Illinois politicians have no shame. It’s all about filling their pocket with cash at any cost.

HB2783 flew through committee today 12-0 This bill will allow high power rifles into the IL gun season.

ALSO...HB2778 passed easily 12-0

This bill expands the first 3 days of the gun season to 4 days.

These 2 bills combined with liberalizing Crossguns will turn Illinois into the new Michigan of spike hunting.

NRA sharing the love in Iowa too:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2019...23DexHFE3E6clk

Trying to take down the last bastion of quality state deer management.

Former NRA member that wants absolutely nothing to do with them any longer.. These bills have absolutely NOTHING to do with the 2nd Amendment. Why do they imply them to???.........to push their financial supporter's agenda. Hillbilly's that have no concept of quality buck/deer management practices. Just want to hunt easier/longer despite the consequences. Why not just move to Michigan or Louisiana where you can shoot unlimited spikes with rifles 24/7?

Rifles have been allowed in northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula for deer season longer than I have been alive. Why the whining now?
Old 04-14-2019, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Zim
hunter's life I see you avoided all my questions. Try again. A few drives and views here and there mean nothing. Analysis of P&Y numbers reported in states with rifles in the rut tell the tale. Study Michigan for an obvious example. Classic habitat that should produce record book bucks but does not due to horrendous management. I've hunted the states I mentioned both before and after their bad management decisions. Over widespread geographic areas The differences were very significant on public land. I completely quit going to Kansas after what I saw, and would for Illinois as well if I didn't own a LL there.

mrbb - Totally wrong here's your obvious reason why deer quality in Alabama sucks and all their trophy hunters are in Illinois with OTC tags come November. Not sure how anyone in their right mind could argue with this!Archery or SpearOct. 15-Feb. 10**FirearmsNov. 18-Feb. 10** (Hellooooooo....................Is there anybody home???)Dog Hunting, Where AllowedNov. 17-Jan. 15**Special Muzzleloader and Air RifleNov. 12-16
see I think your major problem is you just want a state to manage for trophy hunting and this will NEVER ever happen
and your still missing my point, there have been MORE P&Y and B&C bucks in Alabama in the past decade due to FOLKS taking things into there own hands and managing for them sized deer, and they have been able to do so with much poor genetic'
s than what ALL them BIG states you listed r=that are known to produce trophy bucks, your also missing the point, of how rifle hunting has NOT HURT Alabama with its better quality bucks NOW than ever for more hunters there
so again YOU logic doesn't work

your a guy that doesn't have the land to GROW big bucks on and wants to MAKE the state how em for you, you don't seem to want to spend the time or effort into finding places that have better control over things so you can get them trophy's you seem to need to have to be consider worth hunting?
as there ARE folks in EVERY state that kill big bucks there every yr!, they do there part, and work for them and produce them thru there efforts,
maybe put some more effort into things and you won't have to cry about a rifle being used , as a reason you feel the states no longer worth hunting!

also hate to also bust your bubble, but all these NON residents I gather your not too fond of, pay MOST of a game dept's costs for the yr, over residents lic fee's

look into this and maybe you'll find something new out!

NOW add in all them BIG states you claim got ruined by state management, your also missing out on the fact STATE wide, NOT just where you go
farms are being lost at a scary rate across the USA, and them farm are also what used to MAKE them BIG bucks, by allowing more room to feed and survive yr to yr!

again, NO state is going to manage deer herds JUST for trophy's in a whole
MOST hunters are NOT trophy hunters, in case you don't know this!
majority win's in state management's plans and goals!

again, maybe just BUY your own land and manage it as you wish and MAKE them trophy bucks you seem to need to feel worth hinting!
don't be blaming a tool for your lack of ability to find big bucks, that's just silly
as again ever state that has rifles in used, hunters kill BIG bucks yr after yr!
maybe your not skilled enough to do so, but its NOT a rifles fault!
and a state management system is never perfect nor will be, due to too many environmental issues beyond there control
they will ALWAYS manage for the majority of hunters, NOT trophy hunters!
Old 04-14-2019, 06:26 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ram2
Rifles have been allowed in northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula for deer season longer than I have been alive. Why the whining now?
Yes and you want to see the result of your state's two week, two buck rifle seasons? Take a gander............https://shop.qdma.com/boone-crockett...1996-2005.html See those big white areas..............the UP & northern Michigan?

I know several die hard trophy buck hunters who actually relocated from Michigan to Iowa permanently. They were just disgusted and gave up on the management.

Last edited by Zim; 04-14-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:34 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
see I think your major problem is you just want a state to manage for trophy hunting and this will NEVER ever happen
and your still missing my point, there have been MORE P&Y and B&C bucks in Alabama in the past decade due to FOLKS taking things into there own hands and managing for them sized deer, and they have been able to do so with much poor genetic'
s than what ALL them BIG states you listed r=that are known to produce trophy bucks, your also missing the point, of how rifle hunting has NOT HURT Alabama with its better quality bucks NOW than ever for more hunters there
so again YOU logic doesn't work

your a guy that doesn't have the land to GROW big bucks on and wants to MAKE the state how em for you, you don't seem to want to spend the time or effort into finding places that have better control over things so you can get them trophy's you seem to need to have to be consider worth hunting?
as there ARE folks in EVERY state that kill big bucks there every yr!, they do there part, and work for them and produce them thru there efforts,
maybe put some more effort into things and you won't have to cry about a rifle being used , as a reason you feel the states no longer worth hunting!

also hate to also bust your bubble, but all these NON residents I gather your not too fond of, pay MOST of a game dept's costs for the yr, over residents lic fee's

look into this and maybe you'll find something new out!

NOW add in all them BIG states you claim got ruined by state management, your also missing out on the fact STATE wide, NOT just where you go
farms are being lost at a scary rate across the USA, and them farm are also what used to MAKE them BIG bucks, by allowing more room to feed and survive yr to yr!

again, NO state is going to manage deer herds JUST for trophy's in a whole
MOST hunters are NOT trophy hunters, in case you don't know this!
majority win's in state management's plans and goals!

again, maybe just BUY your own land and manage it as you wish and MAKE them trophy bucks you seem to need to feel worth hinting!
don't be blaming a tool for your lack of ability to find big bucks, that's just silly
as again ever state that has rifles in used, hunters kill BIG bucks yr after yr!
maybe your not skilled enough to do so, but its NOT a rifles fault!
and a state management system is never perfect nor will be, due to too many environmental issues beyond there control
they will ALWAYS manage for the majority of hunters, NOT trophy hunters!
This is a joke, right? Alabama??? See that big white hole in the bottom of the map? Do you even need to see the stats?
https://shop.qdma.com/boone-crockett...1996-2005.html
Old 04-15-2019, 06:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Zim
Yes and you want to see the result of your state's two week, two buck rifle seasons? Take a gander............https://shop.qdma.com/boone-crockett...1996-2005.html See those big white areas..............the UP & northern Michigan?

I know several die hard trophy buck hunters who actually relocated from Michigan to Iowa permanently. They were just disgusted and gave up on the management.

There is no shortage of robust deer in Michigan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.