Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Rifles in Illinois >

Rifles in Illinois

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Rifles in Illinois

Old 03-27-2019, 03:20 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default Rifles in Illinois

Just what we need to further exploit a downward spiraling deer herd. Illinois politicians have no shame. It’s all about filling their pocket with cash at any cost.

HB2783 flew through committee today 12-0 This bill will allow high power rifles into the IL gun season.

ALSO...HB2778 passed easily 12-0

This bill expands the first 3 days of the gun season to 4 days.

These 2 bills combined with liberalizing Crossguns will turn Illinois into the new Michigan of spike hunting.

NRA sharing the love in Iowa too:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2019...23DexHFE3E6clk

Trying to take down the last bastion of quality state deer management.

Former NRA member that wants absolutely nothing to do with them any longer.. These bills have absolutely NOTHING to do with the 2nd Amendment. Why do they imply them to???.........to push their financial supporter's agenda. Hillbilly's that have no concept of quality buck/deer management practices. Just want to hunt easier/longer despite the consequences. Why not just move to Michigan or Louisiana where you can shoot unlimited spikes with rifles 24/7?

Last edited by Zim; 03-27-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trying to promote rifle deer hunting in IL is a complete waste of time and efforts. Between fully rifled shotgun barrels and muzzleloaders, there is no reason to add rifles to the mix.

I wish they would lump all gun hunting days together. Get the "crazies" in and out, over and done with.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can already use a smokeless muzzle loader that will easily kill deer at 300 yards or more so whats the issue? A 275gr bullet at 2600fps+ is pretty much a cake walk these days for custom built rigs and its perfectly legal in Illinois. Even the new Rem UltimateML is capable of kills past 200 yards no problem.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
You can already use a smokeless muzzle loader that will easily kill deer at 300 yards or more so whats the issue? A 275gr bullet at 2600fps+ is pretty much a cake walk these days for custom built rigs and its perfectly legal in Illinois. Even the new Rem UltimateML is capable of kills past 200 yards no problem.
This is true but a 30-06 in a plastic low end rifle can shoot farther, be just as accurate and cost a lot less money. Those custom muzzle loaders can get expensive. I for one am not for rifles in Illinois. Seem like a fix where there is not a problem.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

So its ok if someone uses an expensive smokeless ML but not ok if someone uses a cheap centerfire? Somehow i dont think the dead deer knows the price difference. Ive seen sub MOA groups shot from many of these rigs. Even sub MOA past 300 yards. As far as actual cost, you can convert several break action 45/70s to a smokeless ML for around $600 or less. That will get a 275gr bullet with a .300 BC moving around 2500-2600fps. Thats an easy 300 yard killing machine (as far as performance goes) and perfectly legal in Illinois right now.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-29-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dhasemann
This is true but a 30-06 in a plastic low end rifle can shoot farther, be just as accurate and cost a lot less money. Those custom muzzle loaders can get expensive. I for one am not for rifles in Illinois. Seem like a fix where there is not a problem.
what is the difference really?100-200 yards is where most deer are shot(or less to be honest, and both do it just fine)

sure there are cheap muzzloaders,(plactis stocks and all) that may intimidate new hunters, that don't know as much about shooting, that might not want to try things, where a rifle with loaded ammo for them might not be so scared of trying the great sport so many of us love!

as if it opens the door to MORE folks hunting, I think its a good thing, were loosing hunters at an alarming rate across the usa
rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader. WHO cares, if they do it legally!
fear of things that MIGHT happen is NO way to live!
there are a lot of places where riffles are used and things are safe and there are BIG bucks to boot!

hunters need to stick together and NOT fight each other
there have been so many debates like this over the past 50 yrs in hunting its rather silly to me
for yrs and when all there was was long bow and re curves, and compounds entered the ERA,
huge amounts of bow hunters wanted them banned, fearing everyone and there brother would soon be killing tons of deer with em, then same with crossbow, where everyone was supposed to turn into an outlaw or>> using them
then the semi auto crazy of making them illegal and then legal in many places to hunt with' ALL FEARS of things, that never really happened
there will always be outlaws and cheaters and bad apples
but honestly there a smaller portion than the whole!
what YOU like, doesn't mean others will like, so why should they cater to YOU
the majority wins most times, if rifles are wanted, then , maybe they should be allowed , to keep the sport going, which is a bigger side of things than what WEAPON is being used IMO!
Old 03-29-2019, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Same thing happened here when they allowed crossbows in archery season. The archers had a fit because they knew more people might go out and hunt. Now their precious woods would have to be shared with others. They did however change the harvest limits. I use a ML during rifle season and have for a very long time. So ive shared my time in the woods with virtually all legal methods and it dont bother me one bit.

They added handguns to our "ML" season years ago.....guess what...dont care about that either. I will still use my MLs and SMLs when i hunt either season.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-29-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Amazing how quickly hunters turn anti-gun when it comes to new firearms laws.

Getting semis legalized in PA faces the same issue. Surprisingly Ohio was very positive on moving to allow more and more rifles as the last few seasons have progressed.

-Jake
Old 03-31-2019, 04:00 AM
Typical Buck

all i can say it's great to legalize rifles for deer . less stuff you have to carry & really don't have to worry about getting your powder wet. as i would say it like taking a vw to a drag strip. best thing that could happen in illinois. use the modern technology it was legalized in oh & i have not looked back since
Old 03-31-2019, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Been here in Illinois for 14+ years now. And I for one would like to know where this decrease of deer numbers some of you people are crying about comes from. I see more deer on a daily basis than a lot of folks see in their lifetime. I have no problems whatsoever with allowing rifles into Illinois deer hunting. I have been a pretty hard supporter for it as a matter of fact. I have a feeling some of you "the sky is falling" people get your declining deer numbers from the harvest reports. News flash Egbert, less hunters= less deer harvested and the hunters numbers have been declining not only here in Illinois but across the country. I, like GM54, hunt primarily with a smokepole even during gun season. But I sure wouldn't mind being able to take out the 06 or the 7mm08 on a foul day. I love my little Renegade and have taken a staggering number of whitetail with it, but her and nasty weather are not friendly together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.