HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   ohio muzzleloading season starts soon who's ready? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/420032-ohio-muzzleloading-season-starts-soon-whos-ready.html)

t.shaffer 12-31-2018 11:51 AM

ohio muzzleloading season starts soon who's ready?

well ohio's 4 day muzzleloading season begins this saturday jan5 2019 thru tuesday jan 8 2019 & does the weather look great for the first 2 days. sat 43 deg & sunny & sunday 45 & cloudy. but monday shows nothing but rain . will be hunting sat & sun. hopefully will get to kill a nice buck. got 2 tags to fill & then i'm done for ohio.

Bocajnala 12-31-2018 11:53 AM

I'll be out every afternoon.

-Jake

t.shaffer 12-31-2018 04:20 PM

i will be out sat & sunday all day but mon & tues will be out in the afternoon

Bocajnala 01-04-2019 08:53 PM

Due to Ohio's new no antlerless law in the late season, I think I'll primarily be confined to a tree stand on a very small piece of private land that I have access to.

It's my least favorite way to hunt and I'd much rather be out walking on a large chunk of public land.

However, I always love to chase doe during the late seasons, and I can no longer do that in Ohio now. So I'll sit my butt in the ladder stand I have set up and see what comes by.

the good news is that this spot is usually good for seeing a few doe on most sits.

​​​​​​
-Jake

t.shaffer 01-04-2019 11:42 PM

jake you can take anterless deer on private land . check your regulations book .YOU CANNOT TAKE A ANTERLESS DEER ON ANY PUBLIIC LAND.
REPEAT YOU CAN SHOOT A BUCK OR DOE ON PRIVATE LAND BUT ONLY BUCKS ONLY ON PUBLIC LAND.

Bocajnala 01-05-2019 12:31 AM

Yes, I'm saying I'm stuck in a tree stand (my least favorite way to hunt) on a small piece of private land in order to hunt doe.

I would rather be chasing doe on my feet on a large piece of public land. But thats no longer an option.

-Jake

t.shaffer 01-06-2019 03:59 AM

sorry jake misunderstood you. can't tell you how many people or hunters thought anterless season was closed statewide after dec 2 . in fact i shot a doe @ 200 yrds @ 530 last nite & took it in to a check in station & had a another hunter call the game warden & reported to him that i shot a doe . dude did'nt know the rules . odnr shows up & questions me where i took the doe on private or public. which i tell him private land & he knows where i hunt & looks to the other hunter & tell's him he could of created a big mess. the hunter came over & appolgized to me . i told him it's ok just read the hunting rules & regulations next time .

Bocajnala 01-06-2019 11:42 AM

Mr. Shaffer, there's still allot of confusion about the new law. I've even spoken with a few older hunters here recently that hadn't even heard about it.

I suppose that if you're not online and don't read the regulations booklet and just assume everything is that same, that you wouldn't know.

Glad to hear you got a doe

-Jake

Bocajnala 01-07-2019 12:55 AM

I was out both days 230-dark.

Haven't seen anything to shoot at yet. Two beautiful days to be out though.

-Jake

t.shaffer 01-07-2019 03:12 AM

heading out today mon the 7 in freezing rain definitely will be in the built ground shed until noon & when it warms to 50 deg & stops raining .will do some stalking then until about 4 & back to the blind for a evening hunt . let 3 small ones walk right by me last nite @ 540 5 minutes left to shooting time . biggest 1 no bigger than 80 lbs. other 2 about 60 lbs. the farmer said he would of enjoyed 1 of them. so i may take 1 for the farmer today for a land tag deer.really has been a great weather season so far . tomorrow calling for rain snow late in the afternoon.