Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Possible Ohio Deer Changes >

Possible Ohio Deer Changes

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Possible Ohio Deer Changes

Old 02-17-2018, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Default Possible Ohio Deer Changes

From what I've read the ODNR has proposed a change to public land deer hunting.

Only ONE antlerless per season on Public lands.

Only buck may be hunted on public land after December 3rd.

As a meat hunter... I'm really not a fan. My late season (late gun weekend, archery, muzzleloader) is typically almost entirely dedicated to antlerless hunting. Yes, I would be happy to take a buck. But I primarily hunt food sources in late season looking to take doe.

Although, it will help the deer herd increase. So, I guess that part is good at least.

not sure when it gets voted on or when we'll know if it passes.

-Jake
Old 02-18-2018, 03:24 AM
Typical Buck

yeah jake i started athread about this & i just don't see it passing ! already have sportsman clubs heading to the open houses on march 3. i think this a bull crap rule. first they say there are too many deer out there & now they are saying. public land is scarce of deer. don't know about you but i see plenty of deer both on public & private land.also if you are hunting on private land & shoot a doe after dec & it goes onto public land you are not allowed to tag it since you are not allowed to hunt does after dec 3. WHAT GIVES?
Old 02-19-2018, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, you would be allowed to tag it. That would be covered in the law.

I am definitely seeing WAY fewer deer on public land than I was ten years ago. There's no denying that IMO where I'm hunting.

However, I also hope it doesn't pass. Most of my late season is dedicated to antlerless hunting. I am not interested in horn hunting in the slightest. So potentially losing the entire late season does not interest me.

-Jake
Old 02-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

There are plenty of reasons not to like this though....

If I shoot my buck in early October, I can't hunt public land at all after December 2nd. Lose 2.5 months of deer season

-Jake
Old 02-20-2018, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

jake i talked to odnr in district #3 & that's were i got the answer from about shooting a doe on private land & dieing on public land.they sad they are worring about hunters doing that . what stops them just shooting does on public land & claiming they shot it on their buddies farm next to state game land . they also said that if you shoot a deer on your property & it runs onto your neighbors post property does not give you the right to go onto his property to retrieve it UNLESS you have permission to do so & if you don't you are legally trespassing & will be charged for trespassing $ 200 & up & taking a deer out of season fines of 1000 & up. because you did'nt have permission to hunt there. yeah it might be deer season but not on tour neighbors posted land . i talked to my game warden about this several times . he said if you don't have permission stay off the guys land. call the odn & see if they will get you permission to retrieve a dead deer with out getting into deep do do.i just seen him last nite @ my sportsman club meeting were he was a quest speaker & he confirmed to us that if you do shoot a doe on public land & it dies on public land you can't retrieve. call them & they will retrieve it put as he said it damn sure it's going to the local soup kitchen. he also believes this law will not become a law just to much legal jive.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think it'll pass either.

You're currently not allowed to retrieve deer without permission, that's nothing new. It would take allot of clarification. THe intent of the law is not to prevent people from retrieving deer from public land.

So there would have to be language written in about that. You're right, it would be very confusing and wordy

-Jake
Old 02-23-2018, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

now for what i'm hearing the southern half of ohio mostly zone 4 is all for this b/s rule. all i can say is about 3/4 of those living in that area realy don't give a chit about rules & regs. that were the one guy told me just make 10 copies of your deer license & just keep using the same tag until you get stopped by the odnr. kill it use tag on it & get it home for somebody to process it & get back out with the same deer tag but using a reprinted license
Old 03-02-2018, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

heading down to the open house tommorow. i have heard alot of people are going too. this is going to lead to alot of non residents wanting to lease alot of land . i hunt in lorain county & the farmer already has turned down aprox 15 groups of out of staters wanting to lease his land . bacically he told them he only allows residents to hunt his property. kind of them them to pound salt & stay off his land . hope alot of other farmers do the same
Old 03-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

I've never understood the non resident hate. I hunt several states each year. And will continue to do so.

I spend money on tags. Hotels, campgrounds, fuel, food, toll roads, everything that a trip entails.

I do allot of public land hunting. But I also knock on doors and ask permission. I treat public and private property with respect.

Ohio has allot of hate for the non resident hunter I've noticed. More-so than elsewhere.

-Jake
Old 03-03-2018, 04:08 AM
Typical Buck

jake i have the same feeling for pa which i use to live there no far from you & now i get treated like crap . if it was'nt for my brothers i probably could'nt get permission to hunt private land.as for ohio whereever i go most non residents treat ohio land like a dumpster. litter everywhere they been & shoot anything . i've seen a mich. non resident shoot 2 does that could'nt of weighed 40 lbs each. i've seen other non residents shoot a buck & looked @ the rack & claim it's too small & leave the deer. & the most hated one i seen & was a group of hunters from w. va shoot about 6 deer without properly tagging them &just cut out the back straps & leave the rest for yotes . those guys got caught coming out of the woods doing that & got busted all due to a lcal game warden had given me his personal cell. i'm saying you got slobs no matter where you hunt. but a majority of them seem to be non residents.& they don't respect ohio land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.