Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Illinois baiting >

Illinois baiting

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois baiting

Old 11-11-2017, 06:27 AM
Spike

Default Illinois baiting

So, I know this topic probably comes up every year but this is my first deer season (bow) so I wanted to ask a few guys from Illinois what they do if anything. On public land, I was in ogle county in my climber, got down after I got busted by a doe only 7yards away...I turned my head slightly and she was gone..ughh but back on topic I did some walking around, and found of two stands with four corn piles and a salt block. I've been out over 10 times so far and have yet to see a conservation officer.
Don't know whether I should report it or not, I am sure it's local guys. Do the COs not worry about public land anymore? I would have tossed the corn but I really didn't want anything to do with it out in the woods, just in case a CO was out there.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

CO are far and few, they cannot be every where there is public land
the RIGHT thing to do is report it, as if you get caught there YOU can be fined, the law in PA< reads if you KNOW of bait in an area, you legally cannot hunt there and been told thats all they need to fine you for hunting that area?
a warden here actually told me there is NO set amount of distance to be away from bait too(he even went to say he fined folks over a mile away(I called BS< but he swore he did???)
SO in your own best interest on NOT being illegally hunting there, you should maybe report it>
draw back can be if it was private land and owners cheated and you report them and then you loose access to the lands?/
but right is right, wrong is wrong

Your call, NO one can MAKE you do anything?
I'd report it if it was me!
Old 11-11-2017, 08:19 AM
Spike

I called the site and reported it, it's up to them now. I didn't hunt there today and don't plan on going back. Its a shame because it's a good spot just based on the topo and its a great travel corridor. I've read the trapper digest over and back, I do everything legal. It just sucks to see this and be involved.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

You did exactly the right thing, WCOs can't be everywhere so they depend on good sportsmen to report violations. It also is possible you prevented an innocent hunter such as your self from getting caught up in a mess.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Conquistador
I called the site and reported it, it's up to them now. I didn't hunt there today and don't plan on going back. Its a shame because it's a good spot just based on the topo and its a great travel corridor. I've read the trapper digest over and back, I do everything legal. It just sucks to see this and be involved.
Good!!! RAT DEM CRUMBS OUT!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2018, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Relieve yourself in the area...
Old 02-16-2018, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
I firmly believe deer cannot discern human urine from any other. We don't have pheromones. Use to bottle it then came to my senses and stopped.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
That doesn't work.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

No it doesn't, I know a couple of people who have shot deer sniffing the spot where those people urinated.