HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   ohio gun weeks starts 11/27/17who's ready (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/416310-ohio-gun-weeks-starts-11-27-17whos-ready.html)

t.shaffer 11-23-2017 04:49 AM

ohio gun weeks starts 11/27/17who's ready

happy thanksgiving to all & just 4 more days to ohio's gun week. weather is going to be good for the first day temps starting in hi 20's & heading to hi's of 45 possible lake effect snow on monday morning . here in northeast ohio but does'nt look to last on the ground for long. hopefully i repeat last years opener . had my buck down by 7:10 am. using the new allowed 450 bushmaster this year. seems to be a thumper.

Mr. Slim 11-23-2017 09:13 AM

hey tom, happy thanksgiving and good luck on your deer season in Ohio. not going to make it out for monday's buck opener here in Pa. have to work. going out to the club and sight the 06 in tomorrow. ill get out on the weekends.

d80hunter 11-23-2017 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by t.shaffer (Post 4321305)
happy thanksgiving to all & just 4 more days to ohio's gun week. weather is going to be good for the first day temps starting in hi 20's & heading to hi's of 45 possible lake effect snow on monday morning . here in northeast ohio but does'nt look to last on the ground for long. hopefully i repeat last years opener . had my buck down by 7:10 am. using the new allowed 450 bushmaster this year. seems to be a thumper.

It is a thumper. The farthest I've seen a deer run after being shot with a 450 was 20 yards. Most of them don't take a step. Good luck!

Bocajnala 11-23-2017 03:16 PM

I'll be out between ohio and PA...

Have 11 days off. So whenever I can get a baby sitter I'll be in the woods.

-Jake

t.shaffer 11-23-2017 03:30 PM

sorry to hear that mr. slim but good luck when you do get to go out.
& thanks for the infor d80 hunter:barmy:

t.shaffer 11-26-2017 03:50 PM

goodnite to all getting ready for tomorrow morning & good luck to all that are heading out

t.shaffer 11-28-2017 03:19 PM

yesterday was a upsetting day opening day saw absolutely nothing zip heard plenty of shooting my buddie got a nice 6 pointer. well today was a excellant day. seen 2 by 7 30 & had a buck run out of the state park & nailed him @ 200 yrds with my 450 bushmaster & while gutting him out a parade of 21 deer came out ot the state park & all hell broke loose both of my buddies got 2 does . the remainder turned around & was carring the mail back to the state park @ 250 yrds away i aimed for the front doe & hit her a little too far back & see went down & then i shot again for the heart & thats all she wrote. while gutting her out about a half hr later 2 more does came with in 25 yrds but i did not have a third tag otherwise i would be done in lorain county. what was really strange i shot that lead doe & & the remainder of the deer stoped in their tracks& looked @ the doe& then they took off . maybe paying their last respects.

d80hunter 11-28-2017 04:31 PM

Not a bad day in the woods. You using a AR .450 or a bolt gun?

t.shaffer 11-29-2017 02:28 AM

d80hunter it's a ruger bolt action& i love this gun. i got a leupold 3x9 on & it's a sweet set up

d80hunter 11-29-2017 06:07 AM

It is a nice caliber. My 7mm-08 been in the safe all season because I'm always taking the .450 to the woods.

t.shaffer 11-29-2017 08:50 PM

i love it great caliber . short barrel & with a muzzle break.just loud as hell . i'm running into more & more hunters having the 450 bushmaster. mine came in earth brown.& now comes in camo. so i called ruger to see how much a camo stock would run me & was told it's 2 different guns stocks are not interchangeable, i think somebody @ ruger is full of it. will wait a couple of months & call them again

t.shaffer 11-29-2017 08:57 PM

opening day was way up from last years opening day.lorain county was up from 180 to 200 deer.up by 10%. & has been a beutiful week to hunt. no rain until thursday afternoon possibly not until dusk.justa little warm .tuesday got to 70 deg. not bitching. beats hunting while it could be 34 deg & pouring rain

t.shaffer 12-01-2017 10:28 AM

was out today for my birthday & never seen a deer today & never heard 1 shot .not even a distance shot. oh well tomorrows saturday sure it will be a busy day. today was a beautiful day was chilly this morning & around 45 deg by lunch time.
:birthday::rock:

hatchet jack 12-03-2017 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by t.shaffer (Post 4321852)
was out today for my birthday & never seen a deer today & never heard 1 shot .not even a distance shot. oh well tomorrows saturday sure it will be a busy day. today was a beautiful day was chilly this morning & around 45 deg by lunch time.
:birthday::rock:

Happy Birthday!!!!

t.shaffer 12-04-2017 02:18 AM

thanks hatchet jack

t.shaffer 12-04-2017 02:23 AM

so sunday was the last day of reg gun season. did a afternoon hunt seen 1 right away after getting into treestand around 2pm. after that nothing until 5:20 still legal shooting time .seen a doe @ 100 yrds & decided to take her . 1 shot with the 450 bushmaster & down she went. drt. that was in ashland county. waiting for extended gun season on dec 16 & 17. but looking foward to muzzleloading season in january

Bocajnala 12-10-2017 02:46 AM

I hunted all day Wednesday, Thursday, and the afternoon on sunday.

Passed a little buck and a couple doe. Still have extended gun weekend, muzzleloader, plus a special draw muzzleloader hunt at the end of January.

-Jake

t.shaffer 12-10-2017 05:56 PM

good luck to everybody heading out this up coming extended gun season. finally some snow should be on the ground.& going to be cold. bocajnala were is your muzzy hunt at . ? in the late part of jan .

Bocajnala 12-10-2017 07:12 PM

Mosquito creek wildlife area refuge. In the waterfowl refuge

-Jake

t.shaffer 12-11-2017 03:36 AM

good luck there bocajnala i've seen some big bucks there but never had the opportunity to get selected to hunt there.what date did you get picked for ? i think there are only 3 fridays available. it is very soggy in that area. a friend of mine got drawn a few years back. said he almost drowned by there .

Bocajnala 12-11-2017 06:17 AM

It's the last hunt they have... I think it's the 26th maybe.....

I'm planning on cold, nasty weather. Packing a complete change of clothes and boots, in case I get soaked. I've tried "scouting" by looking at maps and satellite. But, the area is so big that I gave up. Will have to wait for that day to figure out what area I'm assigned.

Did your friend have any luck?

-Jake

t.shaffer 12-12-2017 04:37 AM

you should be able to obtain a map for here . by either calling ohio dnr or looking @ a map on line for public hunting grounds. i also believe you are aloud to visit but can't hunt in the refuge. you can hunt any where else that the map shows . it is a public hunting area.good luck

t.shaffer 12-12-2017 04:41 AM

sorry bocajnala the refuge is actually a NO TRESPASSING area

Bocajnala 12-12-2017 12:21 PM

Ya I called to ask if I could get in there to scout this fall and they told me I wouldn't be allowed in until the day of the hunt, but that they would "point me in the right direction"

-Jake

t.shaffer 12-13-2017 07:02 AM

he shot a 12 point buck that scored 160 but was unable to put in the bbc due to it is a controlled hunt .they claim it's not fair chase. i never heard of that here. but @ ravennia & plum brook they won't score it either due to the hi fence rule. but good luck there.getting things ready for sat & sun extended gun season .sat is 35 & sun is 40 & a chance of rain. my favorite season is still muzzleloader season jan6 thru jan 9 2018

t.shaffer 12-16-2017 05:09 PM

today was opening day for extended gun season was about 22 deg out . hardly heard anything & did not see anythinguntil 10;45 was warming up & got deer moving @ 11 am took a long shot @ a doe with the ruger 450 bushmaster! 2 shots & she was drt first shot went over her . overcompasated! 2nd shot she dropped like a ton of bricks. drt now i'm done in lorain county. will wait till muzzy season kicks in on jan 6 thru the 9. will hunt geauga or trumbull or possibly ashtabula having a great season with the 450 bushmaster

Bocajnala 12-18-2017 08:25 AM

No fences at Mosquito... But I don't care about the book anyway. I'll likely shoot the first legal deer I see.... Like normal, lol.

I shot a nice doe on Sunday afternoon with the .45-70. Got her hanging in the garage now.

-Jake

t.shaffer 12-18-2017 08:54 AM

nice doe bocajnala. & congrats. yeah no fences @ there . but i believe cause it's a controlled hunt.still it's a hunt & would do the same. never did care fried antlers.